Altontoth
Delivery Date: 28 May 2016

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I received a KW902 in the mail today (took about a month to arrive), got super excited, plugged it in, turned the car on, and got the scary looking T/M Error. Panicked, shut the car down, pulled the reader and turned the car back on and everything is A-OK. Took the reader to my 2001 Explorer and plugged it in and it connected fine, reported back protocols ok, etc. Didn't try actually USING it, but came looking on the Leaf forum and found this thread.

I've metered it out and can report that as of Oct/Nov 2017, Amazon STILL has the 20ohm units for sale (here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WPB ... UTF8&psc=1). I have a message in to the seller indicating that I'll keep the unit but I want a partial refund. I've been burned by two other readers (one wasn't even soldered to the connector), and I was hoping that I had FINALLY found one that actually worked (there was a recommendation on here somewhere for this particular unit). ALL I have to do is remove that one SMD resistor and it will work fine? Should I replace it with the recommended 120ohm (I have a decent electronics stash)? I see now in the reviews that someone has posted about this error. I have NO idea how I managed to miss it. Oi.... I'm glad I didn't fry the car. It's so frustrating that you can't just buy a basic reader online....I mean, I could buy a pre-programmed ELM327 chip legitimately for $8.50 and build my own dongle, but to buy one is ridiculous money.

Edit: Seller basically told me to pound sand, that there was nothing wrong with it. I gave the product a bad review, and modified it. Runs great in my Explorer. Looking forward to using it in the Leaf.
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

-Hopeful Upgrades: fog lights, LED headlights, swap 3.3kW for 6.6kw charger, extra USB charging in rear

dibun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
AdamFist wrote:This thread was helpful and timely since I received my Konnwei KW902 yesterday. I'm returning it to Amazon. In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative ODB2 scanner that works?

Thanks,
Adam

The currently available test version of LeafSpy Pro supports the newer Bluetooth 4.x LE as will the next official releases of all versions of LeafSpy which I hope to start rolling out within the week.

There are two supported Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 with the LELink from Amazon being the cheaper of the two. The LELink is what I use and works with the iOS version of LeafSpy and will work with the next release of the Android versions of LeafSpy.

Bluetooth 4.x LE being a low power adapter will result in less drain from your 12v battery when the Leaf is off. There is also no pairing required.

Anyone with the Android version of LeafSpy Pro can try the latest test version using this link.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Does LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 works on IOS and Android? Does ScanTool OBDLink MX work with Leafspy? as their site says it might not work with Hybrid and EV.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:36 pm

dibun wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
AdamFist wrote:This thread was helpful and timely since I received my Konnwei KW902 yesterday. I'm returning it to Amazon. In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative ODB2 scanner that works?

Thanks,
Adam

The currently available test version of LeafSpy Pro supports the newer Bluetooth 4.x LE as will the next official releases of all versions of LeafSpy which I hope to start rolling out within the week.

There are two supported Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 with the LELink from Amazon being the cheaper of the two. The LELink is what I use and works with the iOS version of LeafSpy and will work with the next release of the Android versions of LeafSpy.

Bluetooth 4.x LE being a low power adapter will result in less drain from your 12v battery when the Leaf is off. There is also no pairing required.

Anyone with the Android version of LeafSpy Pro can try the latest test version using this link.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Does LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 works on IOS and Android? Does ScanTool OBDLink MX work with Leafspy? as their site says it might not work with Hybrid and EV.

Yes to all.

evansindy
Delivery Date: 27 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 325270

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Yes! I bought a KW-902 from Amazon shipped just a few days ago and the resistance measured 20 ohms.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am

evansindy wrote:Yes! I bought a KW-902 from Amazon shipped just a few days ago and the resistance measured 20 ohms.

Can you post a link to the seller on Amazon?

Altontoth
Delivery Date: 28 May 2016

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Here's the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WPB ... UTF8&psc=1

Works GREAT, but ONLY after I removed that one resistor as was suggested by folks.
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

-Hopeful Upgrades: fog lights, LED headlights, swap 3.3kW for 6.6kw charger, extra USB charging in rear

Return to “LEAF CANBus”