Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Disable VSP sound by software

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 am

ltbighorn wrote:People literally run over pedestrians all the time with the excuse "he came out of nowhere" or "the sun was in my eyes", both verbal admissions in most urban situations that they were driving at a speed unsafe for the conditions. They almost universally get off without even a ticket, and often in a worse case get only a citation for an infraction. ...

Certainly a legitimate point. Our society is remarkably tolerant of taking lives if the instrument is a motor vehicle. And while the likelihood of ever being prosecuted is undoubtedly low, I'm more concerned about the moral and ethical aspect. Being able to get away with something is not the measure of right and wrong. The law might forgive me. Could I forgive myself? And that's really the end of what I have to say on the subject. :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

ltbighorn
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2015

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 am

Nubo wrote:
ltbighorn wrote:People literally run over pedestrians all the time with the excuse "he came out of nowhere" or "the sun was in my eyes", both verbal admissions in most urban situations that they were driving at a speed unsafe for the conditions. They almost universally get off without even a ticket, and often in a worse case get only a citation for an infraction. ...

Certainly a legitimate point. Our society is remarkably tolerant of taking lives if the instrument is a motor vehicle. And while the likelihood of ever being prosecuted is undoubtedly low, I'm more concerned about the moral and ethical aspect. Being able to get away with something is not the measure of right and wrong. The law might forgive me. Could I forgive myself? And that's really the end of what I have to say on the subject. :)

A fair concern and fair question. Operating motor vehicles safely requires the exercise of good judgement on all our parts. In as much as I can trust any other person behind the wheel, I'm comfortable letting them decide whether the VSP functions are needed or beneficial in the conditions they operate in. Certainly a Leaf driver who has opted to do without a VSP sound is likely to be more aware of the tradeoffs of that than a driver of one of the vast majority of vehicles which have no such function available in the first place.

finny47
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 311372

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:03 am

I found this VSP disable sound feature a godsend. Wish I was following the forum a little more frequently.
My neighbors thank you, too.
I turned all the sounds off so I'm completely stealth in drive or reverse.
I'll update later with how many old ladies I've taken out backing up at church without the VSP enabled.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”