2018 40 kWh Battery Data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
Use this thread to discuss the new 40 kWh battery which is standard on the 2018 Leaf.

Below is a screenshot from a development (not yet released) version of LeafSpy Pro showing the AHr rating for the battery.

The location of the Battery State of Health (SOH) value seems to have changed on the CAN bus so is zero on this screen.

The number in place of the VIN is the battery serial number.

1N2ZdJ.png

Hopefully we get some folks from Japan running your app and helping out with this. They're first in line in October.

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to make do with cars at events and brought to you for test drives. :)

ElectricEddy said:
Seems like a lot of charging sessions for 4 miles on the odo :lol:

Interesting. I wonder if those are part of the "battery forming" process and/or testing.

ElectricEddy said:
Seems like a lot of charging sessions for 4 miles on the odo :lol:
The explanation for that came at today's EV event at De Anza College.

They demonstrated using a Japanese product that they are trying to get approved by UL that takes energy from the Leaf and drove their display booth (TV and t-shirt maker).

The battery in the Leaf is just being used for energy storage in a stationary mode. The Leaf is normally moved in a transporter truck.

This explains the low mileage but lots of QC (to get energy out) and L1/L2 to get energy in. I am assuming the QC increments independent of the direction of the current. I can look at the data I collected today to confirm this as they had to move the Leaf due to a water main breaking and flooding the original demo location.

Rumor is that moving forward the CAN-Bus data will be encrypted. The logic was that the Pro Pilot assist will run on the same network, and needs all the bandwidth it can get, so to discourage sniffing, and extra traffic, the stream will be closed.

OrientExpress said:
Rumor is that moving forward the CAN-Bus data will be encrypted. The logic was that the Pro Pilot assist will run on the same network, and needs all the bandwidth it can get, so to discourage sniffing, and extra traffic, the stream will be closed.

That would suck if true. Kind of makes me want to hang on to my first generation Leaf... :(

The concern is with so much autonomous data on the network, that it could be hacked and the safety of the vehicle would be compromised. The logic is that it’s better to have a walled garden that keeps everyone out, including the EVoyeurs that just like to watch.

Every automaker is going to be taking this approach in the coming years.

Back