Dala
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Re: I made a transparent CAN bus bridge with logging, requesting input

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 am

Nice product! Do put them out for sale asap, so we can support your endeavors !

RkEvHopeful
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6154

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am

Please do make the boards available on your Tindie store.

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:49 am

well, just a heads up for anyone who's looking to buy some soon: I've run out of them already serving my testing group, so it'll take until next week before I have stock.

Supersleeper
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Hey there, just curious what progress was made so far? I did quite a bit of CAN bus hacking with my BMW, and integrated a DIY Android tablet interface so that I could retain my factory integrations and more. While attaining accurate readings for battery upgrades are important, I think the larger target audience will be aftermarket head unit upgrades. On my BMW android integration, I was also able to build a custom alarm system, with included camera, motion sensor, and text alerts. I made it into a full TCU of sorts and much more. I was also able to remotely control all functionality such as lighting, windows, convertible top, etc. all through powerful software known as Droidscript, which has native USB FTDI OTG to serial support. Definitely consider Android, since power saving features (including built in battery) is an option. Once the floodgates are open here, I think you’d be surprised how many would want to upgrade their factory head units.

Here’s a simple video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbacAOghNM

mux

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 am

I have them, but can't really be selling them at this moment because of a simple lack of time. However, lots of people have beena sking so I may just have a couple hundred assembled in China and do it that way.

changster1
Delivery Date: 25 Nov 2018
Leaf Number: 006524

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 am

Hi all,
about 6 months ago I replaced the battery cells in my 2012 Leaf with 2014 cells and the range improved!
I retained the original BMS so the car would work ok.
The only thing that has differed is the GID and the GOM reads slightly differently..

The reason is its a PITA to open the later battery cases and all the necessary labour in swapping all the old cells out etc.. It took me about a week to do it all!

I did dissect an old Leaf BMS and read the contents of the 93C86 chip, the only thing I could read was the chassis number...

What I'm wondering is will your CAN bridge be able to 'translate' the info from a completely different battery pack that has in the original BMS into an earlier/different car and act as a gateway to stop the limp mode etc coming on?

Regards
Mark

mux

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:53 am

That's more or less what I'm investigating right now to do direct battery swaps. Probably going to take another 2-3 weeks before it actually works though.

Tremelune
Delivery Date: 07 Apr 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I know that more and more people are sourcing wrecked Leafs to use for conversion projects, because the parts are incredibly cheap if you can find a complete, working car (they go for about $6k in a lot of the US)...

For a 3.3kW aftermarket charger, you're looking at almost a thousand bucks. Same for a BMS that can handle 96 (paralleled) cells of the Leaf. The Leaf components are damn near free...but hard to get working in other cars.

If there were a simple way to repurpose these otherwise pricey components without having to get the entire Leaf system up and running around them, it would simplify quite a few Leaf conversions, now and forever...

Return to “LEAF CANBus”