Car-CAN message Decoding

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SOC-Meter now displays:
SOC
Battery Pack Amps, Volts, and Power

I have seen 388 volts after "charging to 80%", and 240 amps while accelerating heavily.
Today, having charged to 100%, I should see a near-maximum Pack voltage.

NOW, the next most useful value to show for managing the LEAF is:
Battery Temperature(s)

We believe that there are 4 temperature sensors inside the Battery Pack. The Pack temperature "bars" are shown on the left side of the dashboard.

The range of one bar is so large that normal opreation and charging does not change the temp-bars. I do see a one-bar greater indication in the summer than in the late winter.

So, with Batt-Temp we could see how much the temperature is affected by:
1. L1 or L2 charging
2. Quick-Charging
3. conservative driving
4. city driving
5. freeway driving
6. climbing up hills
7. regen going down hills
8. ambient temperatures
9. sitting in the daytime sun
10. overnight cool-off

So, do you want to help find the Battery Temperature in the EV-CAN bus message data?

Try using CAN-Do on your Windows PC.

Hi,
I just recieved one of Gary's units and I'm very pleased with it. It works as advertised and looks very nice.

Thanks Gary!

Michael

The LEAF's CAN buses:

1. CAR-CAN: This is one of the four CAN buses in the LEAF. It probably carries messages about windows, lights, door locks, etc. functions that any "traditional" car might have. We might find Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) readings on this bus. It is one of the two buses that the SOC-Meter can read.

NOTE: This thread is primarily intended for discussing the meaning of messages found on the CAR-CAN bus.

The others CAN-buses are:
2. EV-CAN: This CAN-bus carries messages about the EV-related functions that are (mostly) unique to the LEAF.

3. AV-CAN: This bus is probably related to functions implemented around the Nav console. For example, possibly Heater control.

4. QC-CAN: This EV-unique CAN-bus carries messages when the LEAF's QC port is being used.

Back