How many KWh does each point on the SOC meter represent ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Gary and others who have the SOC meter. Try this to figure out
- whether miles/kwh & the SOC meter are consistant with each other
- if the above is ture, get the actual KWh each point of the SOC represents

Before each trip
- reset the trip odometer and the m/kwh (best done with the dash rather than center console m/kwh)
- note the SOC (call this SOC1)

After the trip
- note the odometer and the m/kwh reading (call this O and MPK)
- note the SOC (call this SOC2)

KWh / soc point = (O/MPK)/(SOC2-SOC1)

If couple of you do this for a week, we can establish whether miles/kwh & the SOC meter are consistant with each other and if so, get to actually define the what the SOC unit represents. (i.e. calibrate the SOC meter).

If we can do this, instead of or in addition to SOC %, we can display actual KWh of ("usable") charge left in the battery.

A good suggestion, but the relatively coarse resolution in the Mi/kWh reading (2.5% to 3%) make the results a lot less definitave.

It would be good to gather data points (trip meter, Average mi/kWh, and SOC) at multiple points during the trip, in addition to the Start and End of a trip.

If we can find the miles and mi/kWh in the CAN data, we can automatically log and plot this data for each instrumented trip.

At this point, it is not known if the SOC is very dependable on the low end of the scale.

But, gathering data will be good, and easier when we get more of the SOC-Meters into LEAF-owner's hands.

garygid said:
If we can find the miles and mi/kWh in the CAN data, we can automatically log and plot this data for each instrumented trip.
True. But this would be a good start - Once I've my SOC meter built, I'll log this (since I anyway log the rest of the stats).

Anyway, do it for a couple of trips and see what comes out.

Back