Kudos to the CANbus SOC meter team!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I didn't follow the various threads too much....way above my pay grade. All I knew is that I HAD to have one of the first SOC meters released into the wild, no matter how it came about.

So kudos and thanks to all who made the CANbus based State of Charge meter a reality, from those who originally conceived the idea through the beta testers of various iterations. But in particular, a big hand to Gary and Robert, who were definitely a force to be reckoned with when it came to discovering what made the LEAF tick and coming up with ways to manipulate the data to the point that is was useful to us! Well done you guys, and thanks! :)

mwalsh said:
I didn't follow the various threads too much....way above my pay grade. All I knew is that I HAD to have one of the first SOC meters released into the wild, no matter how it came about.

So kudos and thanks to all who made the CANbus based State of Charge meter a reality, from those who originally conceived the idea through the beta testers of various iterations. But in particular, a big hand to Gary and Robert, who were definitely a force to be reckoned with when it came to discovering what made the LEAF tick and coming up with ways to manipulate the data to the point that is was useful to us! Well done you guys, and thanks! :)

+1!! :!:

mwalsh said:

If this were Facebook, I'd be clicking "Like".

Outstanding job, MNL CAN SOC hackers, and a big well done to Engineer Gary!

I agree whole-heartedly! I'm hoping that Gary and I wind up at one of the meetings together so that I can pick up a kit from him in person! I'd probably opt for one of his "pre-holed" cases since I'm great at electronics but suck at plastic fabrication...

mwalsh said:

First full day with the SOC meter, and it's already paid for itself with making me more confident with what I'm seeing displayed elsewhere. Some things I've noticed:

My car doesn't charge to 100%. Last night it charged to 97.5% / 274 units raw. This is the reason I'm not getting a full measure of range off bar 1, and pretty much what I expected to see.

The Guessometer in my "old bars" car bears a loose resemblance to the actual SOC left in the car. Meaning that sometimes when the Guessometer reads, say, 60 miles remaining, I actually have around 60% SOC. This happened too frequently to be coincidence.

I had always thought that I got home with at least 25% SOC left. I actually got home today with 27% SOC left. From the number of bars left, I figure I arrive home with around 30% left on days were climate control is not used. That's for the 61 miles driven.

Left home: 97.5% / 274 units
Arriving at work 30.5 miles later: 58.3% / 164 units. 67mph on cruise control pretty much the whole way.
Arriving home again: 27% / 76, Slow-and-go driving, with the A/C on, at speeds up to 65mph.

mwalsh said:
The Guessometer in my "old bars" car bears a loose resemblance to the actual SOC left in the car. Meaning that sometimes when the Guessometer reads, say, 60 miles remaining, I actually have around 60% SOC. This happened too frequently to be coincidence.

My guess is - that means your burn rate is close to 4.8 m/kwh.

evnow said:
mwalsh said:

My guess is - that means your burn rate is close to 4.8 m/kwh.

I get 4.12 m/kWh for 61 miles traveled.

198 units burned, of 281 capacity, is 70.46263%

of 21 "usable" kWh's

14.79715 kWh burned

61 miles divided by 14.79715 equals 4.12241547 miles/kWh

Oh, forgot to add, THANKS to Gary, Robert, et al (and for also meeting me impromptu Friday in the O.C.) for all your hard work to make this something that I can actually put in my car.

Very pleased to be useful. :D

My car has charged to 279 and and once to 280.
Even with those, the top Bar does not have "full" energy
and goes down quickly.

I believe that this is most likely if the SOC value is based on
battery voltage, where the voltage drops quicker in the "full"
condition, and less slowly in the mid-range.

Wath out that the bottom 10% (or so) is also not always
all usable, or disappears far more quickly than one expects.

garygid said:
Very pleased to be useful. :D

My car has charged to 279 and and once to 280.
Even with those, the top Bar does not have "full" energy
and goes down quickly.

I believe that this is most likely if the SOC value is based on
battery voltage, where the voltage drops quicker in the "full"
condition, and less slowly in the mid-range.

Wath out that the bottom 10% (or so) is also not always
all usable, or disappears far more quickly than one expects.

Good to know.

I have some figures from today's drive to work. It wasn't as clean a drive as yesterday's.....some stop and go traffic for a handful of miles followed by a handful of miles at 70mph to get back on schedule

bar miles % raw

12 0 98.5% 277
11 2.3 90.7% 255
10 11.8 82.9% 233
9 17.9 75.4% 212
8 24.4 67.2% 189

8 30.6 60.8% 171 (arrival at work)

8 30.6 60.4% 170
7 31.5 58.7% 165
6 40.1 51.6% 145
5 46.4 43.4% 122
4 54.8 35.5% 100

4 61.0 30.2% 85 (arrival at home)

Drive home was very heavy stop-and-go most of the way, with use of the A/C the entire journey.

Today's drive:

Left home: 97.8% / 275 units (charged to 98.5% last night but I lopped off 7% sitting in the driveway fiddling)
Arriving at work 30.5 miles later: 62.6% / 176 units. 65mph half-way with 66mph for the balance, on cruise control pretty much the whole way just a couple of blasts up to 70mph to get around slower traffic. That's quite a bit better than the 67mph run on Monday.

Arriving home: 29.8% / 84 units. Slow and go pretty much the whole way but not nearly as bad as last night. A/C on the whole way, as with the previous days.

I like having this unit! :D

Today's drive to work - 70mph for pretty much the whole thing, except a couple of passing maneuvers that took me to 75-80mph, some slow and go on a freeway transition, and then some serious stop-n-go for the last 5 miles.

Left home with 96.7% / 272 and arrived 30.5 miles later with 58.7% / 165

mwalsh said:
Interesting data points! Would you know what your energy economy was for this trip? I'm getting 3.80 MPK using the somewhat speculative 75Wh per SOC point metric.

Getting 4.25 MPK roundtrip (61 miles) using the 75Wh/SOC metric. Just out of curiosity, do you always charge to full?

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:
Interesting data points! Would you know what your energy economy was for this trip? I'm getting 3.80kWh/mile using the somewhat speculative 75Wh per SOC point metric.

No, I'm afraid not. I haven't been paying the energy economy figures much mind, if I had to be honest.

mwalsh said:
No, I'm afraid not. I haven't been paying the energy economy figures much mind, if I had to be honest.
That's OK, but I could perhaps ask you a favor? Would it be possible to reset the dash MPK indicator before each trip and include that data in your posts? I would be greatly indebted to you :)

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:
That's OK, but I could perhaps ask you a favor? Would it be possible to reset the dash MPK indicator before each trip and include that data in your posts? I would be greatly indebted to you :)

I could do that, sure.

Today's drive:

To work - 70mph for pretty much the whole thing, except a couple of passing maneuvers that took me to 75-80mph, some slow and go on a freeway transition, and then some serious stop-n-go for the last 5 miles. Left home with 96.7% / 272 and arrived 30.5 miles later with 58.7% / 165

From work - heavy slow and go, with speeds rarely exceeding 50mph. But was able to get up to 70mph once things opened up (about 10 miles from home). A/C on the entire way. Arrived home with 27% / 76.

Energy - 4.8kWh/mile.

mwalsh said:
From work - heavy slow and go, with speeds rarely exceeding 50mph. But was able to get up to 70mph once things opened up (about 10 miles from home). A/C on the entire way. Arrived home with 27% / 76.

Energy - 4.8kWh/mile.
Thank you Mike! I'm getting 71.4Wh per SOC point on your return leg.
It would be interesting to see if we can establish a generally usable Wh multiplier to calculate the remaining available energy in the pack.

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:
Energy - 4.8kWh/mile.

Thank you Mike! I'm getting 71.4Wh per SOC point on your return leg.
It would be interesting to see if we can establish a generally usable Wh multiplier to calculate the remaining available energy in the pack.

At 281 SOC data points, that's only 20 kWh of battery.

Back