LLS: 3-CAN-bus LEAF-Logging System

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Using CAN-Do and a LEAF-Logging System (LLS), one can
log the messages from all three of the CAN buses simultaneously.

The LEAF-Logging System uses three AVR-CAN Boards
a fast 4-port RS232-to-USB adapter, and an interface box.

DSCF0140-LLS-20.jpg

The first non-prototype LLS (pictured above) was well received by the client.

LEAF-Logging-System Usage:

1. With the LLS Power Switch in the OFF position

2. Plug into the OBD port on the LEAF

3. Plug into the USB port on the PC

4. Check (and possibly Set) the assigned COM Ports in Device Manager

5. Start CAN-Do, govto the I/O Control window, and set the COM Ports as needed.

6. Turn on the LEAF, LLS, and Start Logging, in any order, as desired.

LLS Setup:

1. The LLS is shipped with the 3 AVR-CAN boards unplugged, for safer shipping.

2. Connect the 4-port RS232-to-USB adapter to your computer, using the supplied USB cable.

3. Use Device/Hardware Manager to set the COM-Port numbers, setting the baud rates to 115200 baud. The settings "8-data, No-Parity, 1-Stop", with Flow Control set to "None", should be used (should be the default).

4. With the 3 D9 female connectors on the left, looking at the LLS Power Switch, the OBD cable should exit the black box near the bottom right of the "end" of the box.

5. In that position, the Power Switch UP is Always-ON, middle position is OFF, and DOWN is Automatic-ON (when the LEAF is "ON").

6. Commect one AVR-CAN Board to the EV-CAN channel: With the LLS Power Switch OFF, connect one AVR-CAN board to the female D9 that is furthest from the Power Switch.

7. With the USB unplugged from the computer, connect the female D9 on the Board to the male D9 on the R-2-U adapter board that is furthest from the USB connection.

8. Plug the OBD cable into the LEAF, connect the USB from the R2U adapter to the PC, turn the LEAF ON (Ready or ACC2 Mode), and turn the LLS Power ON.

9. Start the CAN-Do program (that you have already Run successfully), and use the I/O Control to read in just the EV messages, with the lowest COM-Port number that you assigned. Check "Count Messages" (or some such, but NOT "Monitor Messages"), and begin reading. If you have specified the correct com port, messages should be coming in at about 200 per second.

10. If no mwssages come in, Stop, adjust the COM-Port to one of the others that you set, and try again. When you get the correct one, messages should "fly" in. Do not continue until you have success here.

11. Power the LEAF and LLS off, attach the next AVR-CAN Board (the Car-CAN channel), and test again in a similar manner. When both channels work, proceed.

12. Connect the third (last) AVR-CAN Board and test the AV-CAN channel. Messages are slower coming in here. When this works, proceed.

13. Try recording all 3 channels at once, write the data to an ".alc" (all CANs) file.

14. Try Logging with "See/Show Dashboard" checked.

15. Well done, Enjoy.

Gary,

I like it. Do you have a list of signals that are logged?

Also have you run CAN do on Wine before?

I found your signal list your website. There are several signals that should be available that you don't have yet. I would really like to help you test these out. I have some good ideas on what could be done once we have all the signals.

I also tried running CAN-do on Wine, but the Java Runtime was not compiled with the code, so it popped some errors. I am trying to figure out the Linux fix, but if you could compile it with the java runtime, it would be the easy fix for Linux compatibility.

Back