SOC-Meter: Battery Pack Temperature

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Identifying a high-resolution Battery Pack Temperature (BPT)
is one of my higher-priority goals for inclusion in the next
SOC-Meter firmware update (if possible).

Please report all BPT efforts and findings here.

----------
The VERY-low resolution Pack-Temp Bars on the LEAF dashboard cover something like
30ºF to 50ºF to 90ºF in just TWO bars.
Seeing a one-Bar change there could be 1ºF, or 60ºF !!!

So far, we have used CAN-Do to identify what MIGHT be
some temperatures, ... but nothing definite.

If we have a LOG of the EV-bus during a "full" QC session,
we might be able to identify what should be a "noticable" rise in some BPT-related (or derived) value.

Has anybody got a useful log, or otherwise managed to identify
the BPT value in the EV-CAN (or CAR-CAN) data?

TonyWilliams said:
Let's pop out the four probes, blow some heat on them, and see what we get?

You are a madman!.. there is 400V in that pack ready to make you look like the Bride of Frankestein.. how about just putting a probe outside of the steel case?..it should match cell temperature pretty closely.

Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:
Let's pop out the four probes, blow some heat on them, and see what we get?

You are a madman!.. there is 400V in that pack ready to make you look like the Bride of Frankestein.. how about just putting a probe outside of the steel case?..it should match cell temperature pretty closely.

I'm not sticky my finger in anything that will turn me into bacon. I'm talking about popping out the probes only (yes, drop traction battery and pop open the top) and puts some temperature on them.

There is, in fact, a fault code for probes at some temperature tolerance which is not stated in the service manual. So, it would be wise to test all four together, then individually using "slight" temperature differences.

Even if somebody wanted to drop and open their Battery Pack,
it is possible that the LEAF would not "function" and have proper
run-time data appearing on the CAN busses.

In my more cautious opinion, the best way to get real run-time data (rather than error codes and conditions that might require a visit with a dealer's Consult III to fix) is to keep the car properly assembled and LOG during normal operation.

Our 4-CAN Logs of QC sessions "should" be sufficiently useful, since the Pack temperature should increase substantially.

I will see if I can post one of these QC session 4-CAN logs this weekend.

Back