Logging on SmartPhones and Tablets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

To Log CAN-message data on a SnartPhone or Tablet, one would need:

1. An app (call it LogApp) for the OS on the desired device,
2. An input port, perhaps USB, that the LogApp can read rapidly.
3. Writing the binary bytes to a potentially-large file should be "easy".

The SOC-Meter's Logging Port is a high speed (115,200 baud) 3-wire (In, Out, Gnd) RS232 port. Usually, for use with a PC, a good-quality RS232-to-USB adapter is used to connect to the Logging device.

When the adapter's system support (driver) makes the adapter look like a Virtual COMM Port, it is usually easy to make a program (like CAN-Do for Windows) that will read the 11-byte binary messages and store them.

So, a minimal "Dumb Terminal" type app that can read binary bytes from the Input port and write them to a file would get us started.

I have a Vizio VTAB1008 tablet (8-inch touch screen, and Android), with a USB port, but no Android-related programming experience.

But, comments and progress of the interested persons should go into this thread.

Gary, thank you for starting the thread. I'm trying to get couple of mobile developers interested in this, but in the meantime, here is an article I found trough a quick search.

The Arduino-Android connectivity opens a lot of exciting possibilities. Modern phones have large displays and big CPUs; at the very least, it would be very easy to come up with an application similar to Wiring – a phone can act as a nice display and also provide processing power. Also, upcoming major release of USB library will include USB hub support so it would be possible to build projects integrating several USB devices and adding Android to the mix is even more exciting.
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/programming/android_adk_compatible_usb_host_library_release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the "good RS232-to-USB adapter ..." thread in this sub-forum, I suggested one (a bit expensive, $28 with free shipping) from Valley Enterprises.

I bought 2 and they worked well for me doing Logging to 32-bit Vista.

It has male connecting hardware (desired), a long (10-foot) cable (useful), the FTDI chipset, and is said to work with "all" OS ...

---------
The Redpark that you linked to is TWICE the price ($59, plus ship?), has female connection hardware (not useful, might interfere with Log Port mounting screws), and connects to ... only iOS?
Not any standard USB it seems.

BAD NEWS: It is too slow, only supports up to 57.6k baud, and the SOC-Meter uses 115.2k (115,200) baud.

If a Bluetooth link is fast enough, it might be the easiest way to log with an Android device (Apple still won't support BT SPP in iOS). There are cheap serial to BT boards on eBay...I bought one, but have been too busy to play with it. You would have to connect it directly to the UART, since it works at TTL levels, not RS-232. For iOS, you could use a serial to WIFI adapter.

I think the Apple connector has serial support, but I believe only jailbroken phone can access it.

Back