Thanks. Can you please provide a link to your system's webpage? I do not add any systems for which I cannot see the website (mainly because when I come back to them later I want to be able to see which system it is).amperedave wrote:location: FL
PV Module Power: 20-230 60cells / 4-240 60cells
# inverters: 25 24 & 1 spare
Activation date: 12/28/11
O.K. That convinces me that your original M190s were grounded correctly. But I'm also convinced that you CANNOT properly ground the M190IGs using the adapter cable which has M190 connectors on the ends and an Engage connector in the middle. Simply put, if your PV mounting rail is properly grounded with a Grounding Electrode Conductor, you can use a WEEB to provide the GEC to the metal plate on the new M190IGs. But there is NO WAY to connect the Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) to the new module. The reason is that the M190 cabling only carries Neutral, L1 and L2. The only way I know to properly provide the EGC to the fourth-generation modules is to replace the cabling with actual Engage cables (which include Neutral, L1, L2 and Gnd). I doubt this is a safety issue, but what I don't know is whether the inverter can be vulnerable to damage from nearby lightning if this wire is not connected to an EGC. (And I have a bit of trouble believing that it has NO function. If that were the case, it wouldn't be there at all.)amperedave wrote:I'm electrician, inverters are grounded properly.
The real question is why three of your new, fourth-generation inverters have already failed. I wonder if the lack of an EGC might be related, but I certainly don't know.
Sounds good.amperedave wrote:I have a hospital grade surge suppressor on my electrical panel. We have many lightning strikes in this area, but haven't had any direct hits. The surge suppressor should take care of voltage spikes on my grid. All my panels or 60 cell.
O.K. That explains a lot. Without an Envoy, it's pretty difficult to detect failures and very difficult to know which inverters are misbehaving unless you can easily see the light. So it appears that the first eight M190s had failed prior to 2016. Unfortunately, the number of the original M190s that you have had fail so far is not outside of normal, as you can clearly see by reviewing my spreadsheet. (Note that MOST of the M190 rows are no longer updated. You have to look at the "Date Analyzed" column to see which ones I can still update.)amperedave wrote:In January 2016 I have been noticing an output drop in kilowatts over the last six months. I was using a TED 5000 that gave me a kilowatt output for my total system. I got on the roof and started checking the M1 90s and Saw that many of them had died. So I bought an envoy to check each M190. I replaced eight in January 2016. And you know my history from my last post.