QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Energy use monitoring - Open Energy Monitor?

Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm

I've been thinking about and researching solutions for energy monitoring for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger on anything. I'm curious what other have implemented and your thoughts.

I'd like something somewhat accurate but more importantly reliable with long term support. I want to be able to monitor my four large 240 volt loads, then solar PV generation and power consumed/delivered from/to the utility. I don't know what percent of my consumption that would be but then monitoring additional 120 volt circuits so that it ends up being the majority of my consumption.

Bonus support for monitoring individual receptacles.

Phase 2 would be cold and hot water usage and then natural gas.

I've seen some commercial products that are based around this level of detail for example the Powerhouse Dynamics eMonitor: http://www.powerhousedynamics.com/resid ... fficiency/ but $15 a month is hard to swallow.

Open Energy Monitor seems like a good solution as well since it can be configured in any fashion I can dream off. The main concern I have is the amount of work needed to build and configure everything. Then I worry how reliable it will be.

I keep hoping Enphase or Nest come out with a solution for this.

klapauzius
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197

Re: Energy use monitoring - Open Energy Monitor?

Sat May 25, 2013 10:10 pm

QueenBee wrote:I've been thinking about and researching solutions for energy monitoring for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger on anything. I'm curious what other have implemented and your thoughts.

I'd like something somewhat accurate but more importantly reliable with long term support. I want to be able to monitor my four large 240 volt loads, then solar PV generation and power consumed/delivered from/to the utility. I don't know what percent of my consumption that would be but then monitoring additional 120 volt circuits so that it ends up being the majority of my consumption.

Bonus support for monitoring individual receptacles.

Phase 2 would be cold and hot water usage and then natural gas.

I've seen some commercial products that are based around this level of detail for example the Powerhouse Dynamics eMonitor: http://www.powerhousedynamics.com/resid ... fficiency/ but $15 a month is hard to swallow.

Open Energy Monitor seems like a good solution as well since it can be configured in any fashion I can dream off. The main concern I have is the amount of work needed to build and configure everything. Then I worry how reliable it will be.

I keep hoping Enphase or Nest come out with a solution for this.

If you loosely adopt the open energy monitor pickup circuit for voltage and current on the main legs, or however many circuits you want to monitor, an arduino with a wired ethernet connection provided a stable solution for me. It has been running over a year, without problems. The monitoring can be done from a linux machine, which then archives and serves the data. Most of the work was actually writing the software to do all this, but in the end, you have a system that does exactly what you want.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Did some more googling and came across this: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=162749

Looks like the GreenEye Monitor is what I'm looking for.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Many of us also use the TED. Steer clear of it though if you use a large Insteon system or the like and can't put the TED MTU on a dedicated filtered circuit as such systems play hell with PLC... There is currently a $50 rebate on it.

http://www.theenergydetective.com
Last edited by TomT on Sun May 26, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Rauv
Delivery Date: 31 May 2012
Leaf Number: 19000

Sun May 26, 2013 3:02 pm

I use www.welserver.com. Its neat and a fun do-it-yourself system.
2013 Cayenne SL [47 months][35000 mi][12 bar][247 "winter" Gids][56.0 AHr][86.0 hx]
GE Wattstation 7.2kw EVSE + EVSE Upgrade (16A)
5.67 kw PV System. 3-ton GSHP

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

I've had a TED system for a while. I wanted something that had a few more features, like monitoring graphs that are more pleasing than the very aged TED options. I also wanted something that was more open. I know TED has some APIs that I could use but I liked the look of Open Energy Monitor as I was also building a Open EVSE too.

Anyway, I ordered the EmonPi and a EmonTx from the UK. I got mine and i've had to set it up a little different to the UK way.. since we are on two hots with 120V each in the US over the 240V single fashion in the UK, which the Op Ene Mon comes from. So I've had to use two CTs for the house usage and i've got 1 CT on the incoming solar and doubled it, not perfect until I get another CT to cover the two lines I have coming in from my array of 12 mirco-inverters.

I especially like the Solar usage app that is built in.

you can see the peaks.. during the day my wife plugs in her 6.6kW charging leaf and at night you can see my 3.3kW charging leaf. and I can see the fridge and freeze powering up patterns in there too. along with cooking and other activity.

i tried my hand at putting together some of my own. One thing I wanted to see was the balance between hot line 1 and 2 to see if one leg was getting more usage than the other. Over two days they are within 1.5 kWh. so i have more work do to but the wife has been using the microwave much more than usual over those days and I don't recall if the blender was on the same side as that. though they are short term usage. i did try to guess at balancing the loads between the two lines when I upgraded the panel. maybe a revisit is required?

Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

sandeen
Leaf Number: 026685

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Take a look at the eGauge. It's not super fancy or sexy, but it has it's own built in webserver, they're located in Colorado and have been around a while, and their support is top notch. It's a solid device. The built-in webserver means there are no ongoing hosting fees.

Personally I have a brultech meter and a bunch of semi-home brew stuff pushing the data all over the place. If you want a set-it-up-and-forget-it, try out eGauge.

2012 SL from TX, (mfg 8/12), used, dropped to 8 bars at 43.50 Ahr, 40,601 miles. my daily stats =/= my collected data on 4-bar losers

Beardedjeff
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2015

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 pm

DuncanCunningham wrote:I've had a TED system for a while. I wanted something that had a few more features, like monitoring graphs that are more pleasing than the very aged TED options. I also wanted something that was more open. I know TED has some APIs that I could use but I liked the look of Open Energy Monitor as I was also building a Open EVSE too.

Anyway, I ordered the EmonPi and a EmonTx from the UK. I got mine and i've had to set it up a little different to the UK way.. since we are on two hots with 120V each in the US over the 240V single fashion in the UK, which the Op Ene Mon comes from. So I've had to use two CTs for the house usage and i've got 1 CT on the incoming solar and doubled it, not perfect until I get another CT to cover the two lines I have coming in from my array of 12 mirco-inverters.

I especially like the Solar usage app that is built in.

you can see the peaks.. during the day my wife plugs in her 6.6kW charging leaf and at night you can see my 3.3kW charging leaf. and I can see the fridge and freeze powering up patterns in there too. along with cooking and other activity.

i tried my hand at putting together some of my own. One thing I wanted to see was the balance between hot line 1 and 2 to see if one leg was getting more usage than the other. Over two days they are within 1.5 kWh. so i have more work do to but the wife has been using the microwave much more than usual over those days and I don't recall if the blender was on the same side as that. though they are short term usage. i did try to guess at balancing the loads between the two lines when I upgraded the panel. maybe a revisit is required?

I just ordered mine! I'll be PM'ing you when I get it since i'll need to do the US setup too.
What CT's did you use?

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 pm

i used the CTs that came with the kit. They are reasonable priced. though I needed two for just reading incoming power and I'd like another two ( i only have one right now) to read my solar array.

I can go through the setup screens on how mine differed to the videos. I was quite easy once i figured out the process and what I was doing.

not sure If I should create my own video or just screenshots of the process I went through.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm

oh forgot to mention. I have a EmonTX as well as the EmonPi because it only has ports for two CTs. since I would like, at least, 4 I bought the EmonTx too, which has another 4 ports for CTs.

Return to “Solar”