Considering EV for surplus generation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhorsefarm

I have an 11.34 kw PV array which I sized to provide 90% of my needs. Since my kids left for college, it is now providing more like 120% of my needs and I was considering getting a LEAF as a commuter car to take up the excess. I have a 50 mile r/t commute, gently rolling, rural highway with NO charging opportunities at the distant end.

silverhorsefarm said:
I have an 11.34 kw PV array which I sized to provide 90% of my needs. Since my kids left for college, it is now provided more like 120% of my needs and I was considering getting a LEAF as a commuter car to take up the excess. I have a 50 mile r/t commute, gently rolling, rural highway commute with NO charging opportunities at the distant end.
Sounds like a perfect fit for a LEAF. Not that it's bad thing since buying electricity from your utility is cheaper than buying gas but with a nice commute like that you'll probably under up going back to somewhere less than 90% again.

Apparently, it would take about 15kWh per day from the wall to meet your commuting needs.

This will vary depending on many factors, notably the weather.

Please fill out your user profile to include your location. Do you have winter where you live? A 50 mile commute is fine in normal circumstances, but in cold, snowy weather, it can be borderline.

davewill said:
Please fill out your user profile to include your location. Do you have winter where you live? A 50 mile commute is fine in normal circumstances, but in cold, snowy weather, it can be borderline.

Sorry - central Maryland. Mild winters.

silverhorsefarm said:
I have a 50 mile r/t commute, gently rolling, rural highway with NO charging opportunities at the distant end.

50 miles is close to the maximum distance that it is reasonable for commuting in a Leaf.

The speeds that you will drive on the commute will matter a lot.

So, what's your speed on a rural highway in Howard County? If you can keep it under 50mph for the ride, It'll work.

There may be charge stations in your area in the future. Lobby for one at work if you can.

You could also add electric heat at home, or a pool. Pool pumps are great for power consumption. ;)

Seriously, here, if we overproduce, we can allocate kWhs to another user. Makes a great gift, or charitable donation.

The whole trip is 35 - 55 mph. I clocked it today and it is 46 miles round-trip. Only a net 100' difference in elevation. The house is already all electric.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, what's your speed on a rural highway in Howard County? If you can keep it under 50mph for the ride, It'll work.

There may be charge stations in your area in the future. Lobby for one at work if you can.

You could also add electric heat at home, or a pool. Pool pumps are great for power consumption. ;)

Seriously, here, if we overproduce, we can allocate kWhs to another user. Makes a great gift, or charitable donation.

silverhorsefarm said:
The whole trip is 35 - 55 mph. I clocked it today and it is 46 miles round-trip. Only a net 100' difference in elevation. The house is already all electric.
That's perfect! I live near Winchester, VA, and make a similar round trip weekly including crossing the Blue Ridge mountain and it is not a problem in wintertime.

I recommend you get a LEAF with a heat pump (2013 SV or SL, NOT S) and lease.

BTW, for reference our LEAF uses about 1/7 of the energy produced by our 9.78kW array (about 2 MWh) to drive about 7600 miles per year.

I'am on the other side of the Country. I use the freeway( 70+ mph) for about 50 miles round trip, daily. The Leaf is perfect. Yes.............Lease it. There are a lot of up-grades coming down the road for the Leaf, buying at this point wouldn't feel good in two years...............Good Luck.

Back