Any Information about Astrum Solar?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranss12

Has anyone on the forum had a solar system installed by Astrum Solar? If so, what was your experience - good, bad, average?
I started my solar project with them back in late March and they still can't give me a date when they will start my installation. I can't believe the process should take this long. The last communication I had was that the local utility had inadvertantly lost the tie-in application and that they had re-applied and requested an expedited approval. This smells fishy to me. I'm starting to wonder if I should demand the return of my deposit.

A tie in app can be submitted while work is in progress, but your utility will want to know when it's complete before they can proceed. It's not a good reason to delay install, unless there's something specific to NY that requires it before starting.

Astrum is a national installer, sounds like they're over stretched.

What does your contract say. Is there a start date, or starting range, specified? If they are outside of that, you can get your deposit back. If it's left vague, you may have a messy fight with them.

I took twenty proposals before I found an installer, and it ended up being with a local firm. The nationals averaged $10k more than the locals, overhead.

If they're already performing like this, what kind of service could you expect if there was a warranty issue down the line?

Good luck.

I had gotten a quote from them, but went with someone out of Rochester. I had all sorts of problems with my installer. I introduced a friend to Astrum, and they started months after me, and finished months before. Overall, I know a few people who went with Astrum, all with success.

As for the tie-in, you can technically start work in NYS without it, but you cannot get the NYSERDA grant without it. In other words, it's a risk. And it's a risk that Astrum typically takes - I assume that they are helping you with financing.

As an update - Astrum Solar completed my solar installation on Tuesday - now I'm just waiting on getting the electrical inspection done and RG&E's tie-in inspection. A communication from them today said that they expect the inspections to be done by the end of next week. I'm happy with the installation, just wish it would have happened a little faster. Anyway, Astrum Solar has come through and evidently my earlier concerns were unjustified.

Back