Recommendations for solar installers etc. in Lafayette, Ca.?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Friends of mine are starting to get quotes now for a system (and are also thinking of getting an EV). They're on PG&E, and I don't know if their usage pattern will be better on ToU, EV rate, or stay on basic rates- I'll try and get that info. They've gotten one quote so far, which I believe involves either 10 (house roof) or 16 (outbuilding roof) 260W SolarWorld modules and Enphase M215 inverters (will confirm with them and correct if necessary). Has anyone put in a system in this area who can recommend or pan installers or companies, and does anyone have experience with the SolarWorld modules? My understanding from the Enphase MTBF topic is that the M215s are fine, it's the M190s and D380s that are having problems.

Any advice, whether Bay Area in general, Lafayette area or on equipment will be appreciated, as my background and knowledge is for off-grid AE systems from two decades ago, not grid-intertie equipment now.

Thanks,

GRA said:
Any advice, whether Bay Area in general, Lafayette area or on equipment will be appreciated, as my background and knowledge is for off-grid AE systems from two decades ago, not grid-intertie equipment now.
Your friend definitely needs to get a quote from Mother Nature Solar Mark has been active in discussing stuff here and I've had a few good email conversations with him. His pricing is right where it should be, no high markups, etc. Last I heard he was using Enphase microinverters with Canadian Solar panels. Solar World panels are top notch but will definitely come with a price premium.

Kataphn said:
We used Real Goods. They are Calif state wide. Very happy with their work and our system. SunPower panels.
Real Goods is certainly good people and does excellent work. They used to be among the priciest (I was a friendly competitor back in my off-grid days), but there's a lot more competition now. I'll definitely mention them.

1. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of total system price per watt people have paid recently in the Bay Area?

2. Are most people going with micro-inverters or regular ones? Advantages/disadvantages?

3. How is PG&E as far as rates and plans? Are they offering straight net metering, or can you do the 'sell power at peak, buy it back at off-peak' game?

4. Do you need a separate meter to get the EV rate?

Thanks for all replies.

GRA said:
1. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of total system price per watt people have paid recently in the Bay Area?

2. Are most people going with micro-inverters or regular ones?

"Our current prices-
2.50kw $3.69 installed
3.00kw $3.59 installed
4.25kw $3.49 installed
5.0+kw $3.39 installed

Major components-

Canadian Solar CS6P-250P panels (25 year warranty)
Enphase M215 inverters (25 year warranty)
Enphase Envoy computer (1 year warranty)
Balance of system (10 year warranty by Mother Nature Solar)"

QueenBee said:
GRA said:

2. Are most people going with micro-inverters or regular ones?

"Our current prices-
2.50kw $3.69 installed
3.00kw $3.59 installed
4.25kw $3.49 installed
5.0+kw $3.39 installed

Major components-

Canadian Solar CS6P-250P panels (25 year warranty)
Enphase M215 inverters (25 year warranty)
Enphase Envoy computer (1 year warranty)
Balance of system (10 year warranty by Mother Nature Solar)"
Thanks, I'm passing the info along.

Back