WisJim
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:24 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 409038
Location: Menomonie, WI

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 am

Standing seam metal roof would be my roof of choice, too. We did that on our recent re-roof of our barn, wish we had found the contractor for a metal roof when we did the house--but our PVs are mostly ground and pole mount.

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:03 am

WisJim wrote:Good PV panels will have a 20 to 25 year warranty and should last twice that long, so ideally your roof should last 40 plus years, too, which means some kind of metal roof would be the best bet. It will save you money in the long run on the roof, too, assuming you stay in the house that long.


I'm currently looking at laminated asphalt shingles Energy Star rated that have a prorated warranty out to 50 years, with the expectation I'd have to redo the roof in 30 or so.

Energy Star rated shingles are good for keeping the AC costs reduced in the summer and presumably keeping the solar panels cooler and more efficient plus there is that 30% tax rebate/refund (doesn't matter either way I have the tax liability to cover it on the asphalt shingles).

If I went Metal roof the cost would be much higher, I'm not sure how the heat rejection compares or if I get the energy star rebate/refund (or if the cost of install * 30% would exceed my tax liability).
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

kieranmullen
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781
Location: Hillsboro, oregon

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 am

You can get the same benefits of lighter colored shingles without the cost and the name. The tax benefits in our state do not match the difference in price.

dhanson865 wrote:I'm about to get quotes on replacing the asphalt shingles on my roof and I'm wondering about prepping the roof for solar PV down the road.

While they have the shingles off should I put thicker boards in place to handle the load of the solar panels/racks/etc or is it likely a non issue?

I'm thinking energy star shingles and in my state that comes in a whopping 1 color choice (white, white, or white). Any thoughts on white roof and how that interacts with solar PV?

OK so the general questions are there, let me know if there is anything else you would check or ask for as I'm getting quotes from contractors in the coming days.


As to details 35.934,-84.0749 is pretty close to me if you like to punch it into a solar calculator. Kwh per month for the last few years are roughly Min 600, Max 1700, Avg 1000 but that is with no charging of hybrids or EVs and I'm likely to change that in the near future. House built in early 1970s most likely with the cheapest possible materials but nothing truly substandard (it is in a good neighborhood but obvious the developers built to a cheap spec).

TN doesn't play nice with solar PV in general even though we get good insolation see http://www.simpleenergyworks.com/tva-ki ... steps.html for an installers rant on PV in TN.

But I figure it'll be cost effective to grab some solar PV and put it on my roof well before the end of the roof I'm about to put up so I'm looking ahead.
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

User avatar
linkim
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:07 am

dhanson865 wrote:I'm thinking energy star shingles and in my state that comes in a whopping 1 color choice (white, white, or white). Any thoughts on white roof and how that interacts with solar PV?


I have no experience with a white roof but a homeowner nearby was unhappy with his because the bird droppings were very obvious on his roof and they looked awful. There must be many birds, trees and wires near or over the house for this to happen. My problem with the cedar shake roof on my house is the birds or other animals pecking holes or storing nuts in the structure. Had to replace a small part of the roof for this reason. We will be re-roofing soon and will switch to asphalt shingles.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

kieranmullen
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781
Location: Hillsboro, oregon

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 am

They are also not put up the same way. I do not like gaps in my roof coverage. I like solid sheets of plywood with waterproofing.
Also when they are not treated properly every few years they curl which is bad news for you and good news for water and critters.

Image

Image

linkim wrote: My problem with the cedar shake roof on my house is the birds or other animals pecking holes or storing nuts in the structure. Had to replace a small part of the roof for this reason. We will be re-roofing soon and will switch to asphalt shingles.
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

User avatar
linkim
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm

kieranmullen wrote:They are also not put up the same way. I do not like gaps in my roof coverage. I like solid sheets of plywood with waterproofing.
Also when they are not treated properly every few years they curl which is bad news for you and good news for water and critters.


The photo in your post looks like my cedar roof, except mine is not as bad. Here in Silicon Valley, we don't receive much rain and the temp goes up to about 90F in the summer on occasion. My roof is 28 years old so its time for a re-roof.

Just talked to a solar company and am strongly considering installing PV once we decide on the new roof.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

kieranmullen
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781
Location: Hillsboro, oregon

Re: Redoing roof before solar

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:34 pm

I would get a white roof. The energy star credits are not enough to pay for the energy star shingles but you can just get white pretty cheap and keep your house attic a bit cooler. On the backside of the roof not facing south I would put some solar powered attic fans and make sure the exchanger is in a shaded area.

linkim wrote:
kieranmullen wrote:They are also not put up the same way. I do not like gaps in my roof coverage. I like solid sheets of plywood with waterproofing.
Also when they are not treated properly every few years they curl which is bad news for you and good news for water and critters.


The photo in your post looks like my cedar roof, except mine is not as bad. Here in Silicon Valley, we don't receive much rain and the temp goes up to about 90F in the summer on occasion. My roof is 28 years old so its time for a re-roof.

Just talked to a solar company and am strongly considering installing PV once we decide on the new roof.
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

Return to “Solar”