SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Microinvertors vs. Single invertors, what's the difference?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 am

My panels are hooked up to a SolarEdge system which is something of a hybrid between Enphase type microinverters and a string inverter:
Each panel his its own dedicated 'optimizer' which performs MPPT. Combined DC is then sent to the central inverter for transformation and rectification to 240v AC. Their inverters are solid state and will hopefully last longer than typical string inverters; certainly they produce less heat and have outstanding efficiency of ~ 99%. Amazingly (to me at least), on most sunny days in the spring and autumn my AC power peak is near or greater than my Panel's combined DC STC

It works *great*. SolarEdge is taking over the residential market -- I think they are at about 50% these days, and competing brands that imitate the technology are showing up. IIRC some panel manufacturers are bundling the optimizer into the panel from the factory.

One other very nice price advantage of the SolarEdge system is the built-in comm board in the inverter. All I had to add was an ethernet cable and wi-fi bridge for free, very nice monitoring via the internet.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

Levenkay
Delivery Date: 16 May 2013
Leaf Number: 302737

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 pm

SageBrush wrote:My panels are hooked up to a SolarEdge system which is something of a hybrid between Enphase type microinverters and a string inverter:
Each panel his its own dedicated 'optimizer' which performs MPPT. Combined DC is then sent to the central inverter for transformation and rectification to 240v AC.
Would these optimizers lend themselves, do you think, to delivering their output into a salvaged EV propulsion battery, which can then feed an inverter for running an "off grid" home?

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Levenkay wrote:
SageBrush wrote:My panels are hooked up to a SolarEdge system which is something of a hybrid between Enphase type microinverters and a string inverter:
Each panel his its own dedicated 'optimizer' which performs MPPT. Combined DC is then sent to the central inverter for transformation and rectification to 240v AC.

Would these optimizers lend themselves, do you think, to delivering their output into a salvaged EV propulsion battery, which can then feed an inverter for running an "off grid" home?

I'm no expert, so take the following with a hefty dose of salt:

I have read that the SE system relies on x-talk between the optimizers and the inverter. This is supported by my recollection of a default test mode that limits optimizer output to 1 Volt until the inverter is connected and up and running. So I would guess not.

This is all specific to the SE system. I don't know about other optimizers.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

Return to “Solar”