SolarWorld or LG Panels which one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wongfeihong187

Hello everyone. I have a chance to get either the SolarWorld 275 watt mono panels or LG 275 watt mono panels for the same price installed on my roof. Which one would you get and why? Thanks again for your input and expertise.

Just seeing this thread now, I would have responded earlier but good luck with your system and PLEASE!! post pics of your system!

P.S. I think most would have already known my answer :lol:

I just decided on Solarworld Sunmodule Pro-series XL SW 315 MONO. I like Solarworld because of it's reputation for quality and durability and the American connection is a plus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v2lDa8Hos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a great deal here in San Diego. The only thing I noticed is that the Pro-Series is not made in the US but made at the parent company in Germany.

eHelmholtz said:
I just decided on Solarworld Sunmodule Pro-series XL SW 315 MONO. I like Solarworld because of it's reputation for quality and durability and the American connection is a plus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v2lDa8Hos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a great deal here in San Diego. The only thing I noticed is that the Pro-Series is not made in the US but made at the parent company in Germany.
Nice video! Impressive!
Nfuzzy said:
Why solarworld over sunpower? My decision at the moment is whether to choose sunpower 327s or 335s.
Sunpower are perhaps the highest-quality, highest-efficiency and best-looking PV modules made.

That said, choosing Sunpower means choosing non-standard PV module voltages (96-cell modules instead of 60-cell modules), which means choosing string inverters rather than microinverters. You also have to choose the Sunpower sales model, which seems optimized to extract the most $ from their customers.

(Interestingly, I had thought you were getting a referral on the Sunpower links you provided, but I see those same links in my post. I guess our host gets those. Good on them!)

I wouldn't say SunPower is the "highest" quality.. :roll: They've had some QC issues recently.. and just because they're the HIGHEST output doesn't mean they are the best.. :roll:

The term "better to burn out then to fade away" has been used alot about them recently. I'd like to see some stability and quality before buying into them.

I chose LG panels for their electroluminescence check on the quality. Now I wish they would show what my panels look like. I was thinking a good way to check for panel aging would use this technique on installed panels.

I would think the choice of the inverter technology is more important than the PV panel source? String systems have a problem with PID so if you are going with string, you should ask for PID specification. Potential Induced Degradation is a high voltage polarization effect that reduces power.

SunPower has a deal with Nissan LEAF owners:

Nissan LEAF owners are eligible for a special offer to receive a rebate of up to
$1,500 when they buy or $500 when they lease a SunPower system.

http://us.sunpower.com/partnerships/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't been able to get panels myself YET.
But I will consider this option when the time comes probably within
the next year or two

Yup, found out about that rebate at our local drive electric week event. I think I am getting 1000 based on the size of my system.

Back