MyEnlighten results do not match those from Enlighten Manager

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

For the last few days I have been noticing that the production totals for December are not the same in Enlighten Manager and MyEnlighten. I finally got a chance to sit down and try to figure out what is happening. It appears the results were the same through December 18 but diverge after that:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------
|   Date  |  Enlighten Manager  |  My Enlighten  |
|         |        (kWh)        |      (kWh)     |
|  12/14  |        47.1         |     47.1       |
|  12/15  |        63.3         |     63.3       |
|  12/16  |         9.16        |      9.16      |
|  12/17  |        13.3         |     13.3       |
|  12/18  |         5.27        |      5.27      |
|  12/19  |        52.9         |     53.8       |
|  12/20  |        61.6         |     62.6       |
|  12/21  |        23.6         |     24.2       |
|  12/22  |        52.0         |     52.8       |
|  12/23  |        29.4         |     30.0       |
|  12/24  |         5.74        |      5.87      |
|  12/25  |        46.9         |     47.9       |
|  12/26  |         9.05        |      9.25      |
|  12/27  |        46.2         |     46.9       |
|  12/28  |        57.7         |     58.7       |
|  12/29  |        30.3         |     30.9       |
|  12/30  |         ?.??        |      ?.??      |
|  12/31  |         ?.??        |      ?.??      |
I've had a difficult time determining which result is correct. Over the last couple of days I've noticed that both views match at the end of each day, but the next morning the MyEnlighten number is inflated versus what both results had been the previous evening. The Enlighten Manager view remains unchanged. Also, the Enlighten Manager view matches the sum of all of the individual inverters for each day. As such, I believe the My Enlighten view is the incorrect result starting on December 19.

I plan to call Enphase today. I'm posting to find out if anyone else has a similar discrepancy in the data. Is it just my data, or do you see the same problem? TIA.

I called Enphase support and reported the issue. The representative started down the rabbit hole of power line communications issues and I told him that I wasn't concerned with that issue and that it should not cause the data on their websites to differ. He offered to do a "site roll-up" starting with December 19. That should reload the data from the Envoy and check for issues. That process should begin overnight.

Has anyone had a chance to check their data, yet?

Just checked my data and I have the same issue as you, so they must of changed/broke something on Enlighten.

Here is my data:

Code:
       Date Manager MyEnlighten    API
  12/14/2016   10.52       10.5  10.519
  12/15/2016   8.002          8   8.001
  12/16/2016   2.917       2.92   2.916
  12/17/2016   9.552       9.55   9.553
  12/18/2016   9.734       9.73   9.734
  12/19/2016    9.41       9.49   9.492
  12/20/2016   8.439       8.51   8.514
  12/21/2016   6.281       6.33   6.336
  12/22/2016   3.372       3.39   3.404
  12/23/2016   4.894       4.93   4.938
  12/24/2016   9.258       9.34    9.34
  12/25/2016   8.864       8.94   8.943
  12/26/2016  10.984       11.1  11.086
  12/27/2016   8.912       8.99   8.991
  12/28/2016   8.905       8.98   8.988
  12/29/2016   9.265       9.27   9.266

The API matches MyEnlighten, but there are occasional rounding errors since my script adds up the five minute intervals / 12.

Thanks, Philip. It felt like a software bug introduced on December 19 to me.

The representative told me that if the "site roll-up" does not fix the issue, he will have to escalate this issue to engineering.

The Enlighten Manager data has the correct data as it matches what the Envoy was recording each day. Unfortunately, that means the API has been giving wrong data.

I posted the issue to the Enphase developer forum.

https://developer.enphase.com/forum/topics/api-data-doesn-t-match-enlighten-manager

Thanks for verifying this further and for reporting it to Enphase, Philip.

By way of an update, I do not see any change based on the "site roll-up" the support representative initiated. All the numbers are still the same as I previously reported. Also, the overnight processing still increases each daily result. I will try to call on Tuesday to report that there is no improvement from whatever they did.

But I just noticed something interesting with MyEnlighten that I would like to ask you to try: If I am looking at the logged-in version of MyEnlighten, I can get different results for the month of December 2016 depending on what I do (but the daily results are always wrong). Here are the steps to see both the correct and incorrect monthly results:

1) Login to Enlighten and go to the MyEnlighten view.
2) Click on the 'Months' view.
3) Refresh the page.
4) Click on the December 2016 square. You should see the correct energy total for December 2016. (Sometimes MyEnlighten does not give a complete roll-up for the month, so I see a smaller number and have to refresh the page again to get the total amount. But I NEVER get the high result that I get in step 8.)
5) Click on the 'Days' view. (Note that the results for December 19 through December 31 are incorrect even though the result was correct for the month of December 2016.)
6) Refresh the page. (Note that the results for December 19 through December 31 are still incorrect.)
7) Click on the 'Months' view.
8) Click on the December 2016 square. You should now see the incorrect high result that would be expected from adding the high results shown on the individual days.

Bottom line: There is a bit of flakiness in MyEnlighten right now, but it seems it is possible to get a correct result for the month of December 2016 in that view by refreshing while in 'Months' view. I still see no way to get the correct result for the days of December 19 through December 31, 2016.

I did see two different results for December - it said 264 when I first clicked on it, after refreshing it went to 263 and it has reported that number consistently no matter where I go now. My system is too small to see the larger differences that you do, but they are definitely there on the right side of the decimal.

There hasn't been any response on the developer forum - it isn't very active though.

philip said:
I did see two different results for December - it said 264 when I first clicked on it, after refreshing it went to 263 and it has reported that number consistently no matter where I go now. My system is too small to see the larger differences that you do, but they are definitely there on the right side of the decimal.
I'm seeing much the same thing, now. As it turn out, this is only because we are now in January and there is an additional step required to see the wrong answer for the month of December 2016.

Here are all of the steps repeated with one new one added:

1) Login to Enlighten and go to the MyEnlighten view.
2) Click on the 'Months' view.
3) Refresh the page.
4) Click on the December 2016 square. You should see the correct energy total for December 2016. (Sometimes MyEnlighten does not give a complete roll-up for the month, so I see a smaller number and have to refresh the page again to get the total amount. But I NEVER get the high result that I get in step 8.)
5) Click on the 'Days' view. (Note that the results for December 19 through December 31 are incorrect even though the result was correct for the month of December 2016.)
6) Refresh the page. (Note that the results for December 19 through December 31 are still incorrect.)
6.5) Click on any square for a day in December 2016.
8) The December 2016 square should already be highlighted and you should now see the incorrect high result that would be expected from adding the high results shown on the individual days.

That new step is now required to see the bug for the month of December, but it wasn't needed until after data started to populate on January 1st because it happened automatically until then. I think the key here is that when you switch to 'Months' view, it MUST come up with December 2016 already selected for the result to be incorrect. If 'Months' view starts with any other month highlighted, December 2016 will get the correct total and you will see that when you switch to it.

In fact, you can also duplicate this bug using 'Hours' view instead:

5) Click on the 'Hours' view.
6) Refresh the page.
6.5) Click on any square for any hour in any day in December 2016.
8) The December 2016 square should already be selected and you should now see the incorrect high result that would be expected from adding the high results shown on the individual days.
philip said:
There hasn't been any response on the developer forum - it isn't very active though.
Yeah, I think they're probably on holiday until today. I'll try to call them this morning.

philip said:
Step 4 gives me 263
Step 7 gives me 264 which is the wrong higher value
Philip is so succinct and I'm so verbose! :oops:

Let me try that:

Step 4 gives me 1002
Step 7 gives me 1011 which is the wrong, higher value

I just got off the phone with Enphase support. Unfortunately, I did not get a case number from my call on December 30 and the support representative today found no record of that call. Not a big deal, since it is an easy problem to describe. But it takes them a bit of time to accept the possibility that their data is wrong. But after a few minutes, he was able to see it and he forwarded me to engineering. I spoke with the engineering representative for about 20 minutes and was able to show him the differences and also how he could see two different numbers for December 2016 in MyEnlighten.

I hope you don't mind, Philip, but I told him that your system had the same problem (and gave him the system ID) and that you had filed a report in the Developer's Forum explaining that the API has the same problem. He said he would escalate the to the Enlighten team and they would give me a call or email if they needed further information.

Frankly, I find it a bit odd that they do not have ongoing regression testing to ensure that these two views of the data do not diverge. They must not because no one seems to know the problem exists.

RegGuheert said:
Philip is so succinct and I'm so verbose!

Ha! If you only knew...

RegGuheert said:
I hope you don't mind, Philip, but I told him that your system had the same problem

Don't mind at all.

RegGuheert said:
Frankly, I find it a bit odd that they do not have ongoing regression testing to ensure that these two views of the data do not diverge. They must not because no one seems to know the problem exists.

They are probably more focused on their hardware/firmware development than the software side, so it doesn't surprise me too much. Many of us are wanting an expanded API on the envoy, which wouldn't be too hard for them to develop (give me a day at their source code and I'll get it done). So I imagine the software/enlighten/API probably has very few resources dedicated to it - and considering Enphase's financial issues, that is understandable.

I've got a similar problem again for October 2017. Some of the data from the beginning of the month appears to be double-counted. The result is that the peak daily production for my system now shows 109 kWh instead of 89 kWh. October 2017 is now shown as the highest production month ever, at 2342, or about 300 kWh above the actual peak month.

This problem does not only impact MyEnlighten, but some of the reports in Enlighten Manager are also affected.

I believe this problem is the result of a customer service representative "proactively" removing my old Envoy from service without first asking me. I told him that I don't want it removed from service since I wanted to use it as a cold spare and don't want to have to make a support call whenever I want to use it again. I believe the double-counting occurred when he put it back into my system. So they have just generated the need for another support call.

It seems that employees at Enphase have no concept of spares. They expect their customers to be fully reactionary about replacing equipment that fails. This even though they have basically stopped selling equipment that works with the previous two generations of cabling systems.

Back