Looking for a Small Solar panel complete Kit Portable or Simple

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldstorage5

Hi, Im hoping you can help me. Do you know if there is a solar panel kit that includes the battery and converter (Forgive my lack of knowledge) and battery, all in one. so I can place it out side and plug my leaf into and get some solar changing to my leaf.

If there is an easy complete permanent small kit that includes everything that could work too.

Any suggestions, I did look through the past posts and could not find an answer.

Thank you,
Steve

Camping suppliers are one place to find portable solar setups like that, but I bet than none of them will have enough capacity to do any real charging of your LEAF.

Let's put in numbers. The slowest you can charge the LEAF is 120v@6a, which is 720 watts. When charging, the LEAF uses about 300w as overhead for running the coolant pumps, fans, and electronics, so even if you got this to work, you'd be wasting almost half of the power collected. Worse, typical portable setups I found quickly on Google were 100w-200w, and those ratings would be the absolute best case in clear cool weather and midday sun.

In short, no easily portable system is going to do the job.

It would be easy to exceed the amount of additional charge possible with a portable solar setup just by slowing down 5MPH on the highway. If the OP is running the tires at 36-38psi then raising the pressure to 40-42psi would also work. Both together would give far more additional range.

coldstorage5 said:
Hi, Im hoping you can help me. Do you know if there is a solar panel kit that includes the battery and converter (Forgive my lack of knowledge) and battery, all in one. so I can place it out side and plug my leaf into and get some solar changing to my leaf.

If there is an easy complete permanent small kit that includes everything that could work too.

Any suggestions, I did look through the past posts and could not find an answer.

Thank you,
Steve

Steve;
Very common miss-conception of solar PV capabilities is the realistic energy that can be produced - it takes some calculations (and experience helps) to actually visualize what is required. As an example, I have a metal building that is 14 feet wide by 24 feet long covered with three rows of panels that produces about 6000 watts in full sun. Using my OpenEVSE charger (and some other controller/inverter items!) I estimate that ONE FULL DAY of sun will just about charge my 20 KWH battery. Hope that helps.

Back