My Envoy-S lost the ability to upload data to Enlighten overnight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

I know this sounds like a support issue, but I suspect it is something else entirely. Please let me explain.

Once I learned that Enphase was converting Envoys from 5-minute reporting to 15-minute reporting, I decided to restrict the access my Envoys have to connect to the "Mother Ship" to only 30 minutes each day. With those settings in place in my router I have managed to maintain 5-minute reporting with the only inconvenience being that I have to wait until the following day to see data on Enlighten.

That is, until last night. Last night, my Envoy-S uploaded a bit of yesterday's data over HTTP, but then it decided that it needed to make contact via HTTPS, which it was unable to do. It stopped uploading over HTTP and only tried this HTTPS request from that point on.

This morning, I noticed that I only had a couple hours' data from yesterday and decided to have a look. When I noticed the blocked HTTPS requests, I gave the Envoy-S access to only that port temporarily. Then I started getting requests to communicate over HTTP again, so I switched it back to allow only HTTP. At that point, it became "happy", in that it was not making any denied requests anymore, but it refused to upload any data to enlighten.

As a result, I do not think the unit is broken, but rather I think it was told to do something that precludes it uploading data. I suspect this may be the result of a recent firmware update I made to the unit via the Installer Toolkit from version R4.6.30(1b8107) to R4.6.42(8854d7).

But I have another Envoy-S and I never update the firmware on both of them at the same time, just in case. That Envoy-S is still at version R4.6.30(1b8107), so I will swap it in overnight to find out if the old firmware allows me to continue uploading at 5-minute intervals or if they can manage to stop that one also, even with the older firmware.

It will likely take a couple of days for this experiment to play out. I'll let you know what happens...

Update: The rest of the results from yesterday somehow managed to show up (even though the Envoy has had no additional access to the internet since my previous post). I tried to upload today's results to see if I'm now at 15-minute intervals, but it only uploaded a few hours' worth of data.

I'm going to switch Envoys tonight and see what happens.

FWIW, I swapped in the spare Envoy-S overnight. I will probably just run off this one for a while to see what happens.

In the meantime, there is nothing to see here. I'm still getting 5-minute reporting, so I'm happy. We'll see what happens.

pclifton was able to clear up what went on with my Envoy-S on March 22. He had received an "Field Bulletin" from Enphase which explained what was going on:
Enphase Field Bulletin said:
The security certificate for Envoys manufactured before July 5, 2017 will expire on March 21, 2018. Any Envoy with an expired certificate will continue to operate normally and report production, but will no longer receive remote updates to the Envoy or microinverter firmware.
So, apparently, the security certificate in my Envoy-S had expired on March 21 and it was trying to renew that before doing its upload on the early morning of March 22. That must have been what the HTTPS request was for.

But, interestingly, the other Envoy-S running firmware R4.6.30 happily collected all of the microinverter data yesterday and then uploaded without incident this morning (March 24). I'll just leave that one running and see how long it continues to work.

Back