Optical Meter Probe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

So I bought a used probe figuring I could do *something* with it.

It's a US Microtel PM-500. It snaps on the power meter's optical port.

$%28KGrHqYOKkYE2Lo4gVUBBNqd6eOy0w~~_3.JPG

Has anyone ever seen information on interfacing with this thing? I mean last resort, I'll just build one of these http://www.solarshare.net/HT/OC/oc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and build it into the housing.

But if I could interface with it directly, that would be better. I'm sure people have done this before...but I can't seem to find anything. I'd love to interface it with my home automation for automatic reporting.

It's a great way to go.. the ANSI Optical port has all the goods.
I read all the interesting data tables out of my SDG&E meter every 60 seconds.
The values agree 100% with my bill, which is really the only accuracy that matters.

I wrote up a whole lot of information on how to do it on the Xantrex (solar inverter) forums a few years ago, and the forums are all gone now. So much for that archive.

There have been a few threads here on the subject. Search for ANSI?

If you're up for hacking some Perl code to do it, I can share what I have. The protocol is just optical RS-232, and it's all well-documented by ANSI. The only tricky part is getting the password to your meter (one of three passwords, actually). SDG&E's GE kv2c meters and some PG&E meters are well-known, but others (iTron OpenWay) are not.

Back