Grape Solar panels?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caffeinekid

Is anyone familiar with this outfit? They sell their panels at Costco, Home Depot and a few other outlets. I get about $1000 a month in HD gift cards as part of my bonus/incentive system and I have already bought all of the LED bulbs, water filtration and appliances that I need. I figure I can get a few of the 230W panels every month until I am up to 5KW. If I go elsewhere, I pay out of pocket. Thoughts?

caffeinekid said:
Is anyone familiar with this outfit? They sell their panels at Costco, Home Depot and a few other outlets. I get about $1000 a month in HD gift cards as part of my bonus/incentive system and I have already bought all of the LED bulbs, water filtration and appliances that I need. I figure I can get a few of the 230W panels every month until I am up to 5KW. If I go elsewhere, I pay out of pocket. Thoughts?
Can't you sell the gift cards (probably with a small discount - say between 5% to 10%, to offset any lost credit card rewards) instead? The thought of you incrementally upgrading your house with these gift cards is quite funny.

lenny said:
caffeinekid said:
Can't you sell the gift cards (probably with a small discount - say between 5% to 10%, to offset any lost credit card rewards) instead? The thought of you incrementally upgrading your house with these gift cards is quite funny.
Yeah. It was fun. Not as fun as actually receiving the CASH equivalent would be....or maybe having the option for Target or Best Buy cards like I get with my charge cards, but no complaints if these solar panels pan out. :D I have read the spec sheets on them and they seem acceptable enough, but I had never heard of Grape Solar until I saw them on the HD website.

I don't know about selling the cards at a discount. I have thought of that, but concluded that it is easier said than done (I imagine).

There's also websites that do gift card exchange. I'm sure you can use $1000 worth of, say, coffee, especially if you're installing your own solar panels :)

http://gift-card-exchange-review.toptenreviews.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never used any of them, I just found this site as a convenient place that lists a bunch of them.

Good luck with your project!

I'd happily buy your Home Depot gift cards for 10% off, as many as you could get :)

But back to your question. If you are going to be installing these yourself I would expand your product search. With the internet you'll be able to get cheaper systems. Although I do like the idea of Costco/Home Depot/etc. selling solar PV, hopefully it is successful for them.

Doing it piecemeal like this isn't a bad idea. The one issue though is you'll need to get all the infrastructure stuff done up front in such a way that you'll be ready to add a panel/microinverter as you get more money. Depending on how big you want to be at the end of this that part might get a bit expensive.

Back