EVDRIVER

Re: Can trickle charger break OBC?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm

belletenor wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:It stands for "Power Distribution Module." I'll leave a detailed description to someone else, as I have to go and eat.

Thanks for this. I did look it up and to me it looks like it's a part of the OBC? Basically it's what tells the car whether it's a 120V or 220V charger if I'm understanding correctly. If so I guess my concerns about my service still stand.

The cable is not a charger that is the OBC. In simple terms the cable passes voltage and provides safety and other features. The charger is rated for voltages below 120V and above 240V, it just needs to see a voltage in that range. There is noting that the cable or 120V can do to your OBC. Period. Also they don't know what voltage or cable you are using so don't sweat it. There are thousands of LEAF cars that charge on 120V daily.
Forum Moderator

belletenor
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2017

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
belletenor wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:It stands for "Power Distribution Module." I'll leave a detailed description to someone else, as I have to go and eat.

Thanks for this. I did look it up and to me it looks like it's a part of the OBC? Basically it's what tells the car whether it's a 120V or 220V charger if I'm understanding correctly. If so I guess my concerns about my service still stand.

The cable is not a charger that is the OBC. In simple terms the cable passes voltage and provides safety and other features. The charger is rated for voltages below 120V and above 240V, it just needs to see a voltage in that range. There is noting that the cable or 120V can do to your OBC. Period. Also they don't know what voltage or cable you are using so don't sweat it. There are thousands of LEAF cars that charge on 120V daily.

Sorry, yes by charger I mean the EVSE cable. Now that I've done a bit of research that makes more sense :D

I figured as much, but I just wanted to confirm with someone who knows a little more about the "mechanics" than I do to see if my thoughts were at least in the right direction. Seems like I was right to question.

Thanks very much for all your responses, I really do appreciate it.

gugusse
Delivery Date: 06 May 2017

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello,

Seems like you are not the only one....
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23247

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Damn, I’ve been using my trickle cable for almost seven years now. I never noticed it breaking anything. ;)
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “Canada”