achewt
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am
Delivery Date: 09 May 2014
Location: Nelson, BC

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Tue May 06, 2014 9:57 pm

christrit wrote:Hey folks...

Well we did a test run of the Coquihalla today with our Nissan Leaf.....

We left downtown Hope on a full charge, sad to say that the battery died just before Comstock Road, only 15km south of Merritt.....

We will continue to do more testing at different speeds to see if it will make a difference..... Hoping to be able to make it
from Hope to Merritt flawlessly..... There was some equipment in the vehicle, so will post again after our next test with a
completely empty car.....


Happy charging.....


Hmm that is a bit concerning for me as I'm about to attempt that trip on Friday. How fast were you going?
Ocean Blue 2014 SL, 108,000km as of mid-Feb 2017, back up to 95% (from low of 86%!) SOH
Commuting 142km round-trip; level 2 at home, level 1 at work
http://kootenayEVfamily.ca

christrit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:43 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 216005
Location: Burnaby
Contact: Website

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 pm

achewt wrote:
christrit wrote:Hey folks...

Well we did a test run of the Coquihalla today with our Nissan Leaf.....

We left downtown Hope on a full charge, sad to say that the battery died just before Comstock Road, only 15km south of Merritt.....

We will continue to do more testing at different speeds to see if it will make a difference..... Hoping to be able to make it
from Hope to Merritt flawlessly..... There was some equipment in the vehicle, so will post again after our next test with a
completely empty car.....


Happy charging.....


Hmm that is a bit concerning for me as I'm about to attempt that trip on Friday. How fast were you going?


I wasn't driving it myself, but was told that the speed limit was adhered to... There was about 400 lbs of equipment loaded in the vehicle as well.
To me it's hard to gauge if anything else could have been done to maximize charge like ride the brake a little more downhill to get the regenerative
braking to kick in more. Not sure how going back will be, as you don't have the snowshed hill to climb, going down may give a decent charge-up ?
B.C.A.A. - Burnaby
---------------------------
(2) 2012 Leaf's (SL) full load

tantousha
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2014

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 am

christrit wrote:Hey folks...

Well we did a test run of the Coquihalla today with our Nissan Leaf.....

We left downtown Hope on a full charge, sad to say that the battery died just before Comstock Road, only 15km south of Merritt.....

We will continue to do more testing at different speeds to see if it will make a difference..... Hoping to be able to make it
from Hope to Merritt flawlessly..... There was some equipment in the vehicle, so will post again after our next test with a
completely empty car.....


Happy charging.....


It has been done before. A guy named Steve did it back in January. But his attempt was done without climate control, and he charged for a bit from a wall outlet at the old tollbooth area.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-conque ... alla-pass/

I'm guessing that a L3 charger somewhere along the Coquihalla is part of BC Hydro's long-term plans as they already have them in Kamloops and Merritt.

Galiano
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2013

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm

christrit wrote:Hey folks...

Well we did a test run of the Coquihalla today with our Nissan Leaf.....

We left downtown Hope on a full charge, sad to say that the battery died just before Comstock Road, only 15km south of Merritt.....



Happy charging.....



So the battery died. Then what. ???
2013 Pearl White Leaf SL

North Saanich, Vancouver Island, B.C.
Canada


14,000 kms. so far

christrit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:43 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 216005
Location: Burnaby
Contact: Website

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Fri May 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Then the tow truck comes to bring the car into the Merritt visitor center... =)
B.C.A.A. - Burnaby
---------------------------
(2) 2012 Leaf's (SL) full load

achewt
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am
Delivery Date: 09 May 2014
Location: Nelson, BC

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Sat May 10, 2014 12:49 am

I made it over the Coq tonight - will post account to the other thread. However, once I found the L3, I could not get it to work. Will try calling the service number tomorrow. Will set me back on my trip to Nelson by a few hrs for sure. Thankfully there are three other reliable Sun Country chargers right in the same area.
Ocean Blue 2014 SL, 108,000km as of mid-Feb 2017, back up to 95% (from low of 86%!) SOH
Commuting 142km round-trip; level 2 at home, level 1 at work
http://kootenayEVfamily.ca

Galiano
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2013

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Sat May 10, 2014 7:55 am

achewt wrote:I made it over the Coq tonight - will post account to the other thread. However, once I found the L3, I could not get it to work. Will try calling the service number tomorrow. Will set me back on my trip to Nelson by a few hrs for sure. Thankfully there are three other reliable Sun Country chargers right in the same area.


An adventure for sure. Good luck on the rest of your trip and keep us posted.
2013 Pearl White Leaf SL

North Saanich, Vancouver Island, B.C.
Canada


14,000 kms. so far

achewt
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am
Delivery Date: 09 May 2014
Location: Nelson, BC

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Galiano wrote:
achewt wrote:I made it over the Coq tonight - will post account to the other thread. However, once I found the L3, I could not get it to work. Will try calling the service number tomorrow. Will set me back on my trip to Nelson by a few hrs for sure. Thankfully there are three other reliable Sun Country chargers right in the same area.


An adventure for sure. Good luck on the rest of your trip and keep us posted.


Yes I plan to write up a post and to include the data I am gathering - probably not for a few weeks though as my folks are coming to visit on the long weekend. I'm currently relaxing in the Princeton Library while charging. :)
Ocean Blue 2014 SL, 108,000km as of mid-Feb 2017, back up to 95% (from low of 86%!) SOH
Commuting 142km round-trip; level 2 at home, level 1 at work
http://kootenayEVfamily.ca

christrit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:43 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 216005
Location: Burnaby
Contact: Website

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Fri May 23, 2014 7:23 pm

EV Burnaby to The Okanagan Trip Update

My colleague updated me as to his travels.....

Left Burnaby with a full charge... Topped up at the DC @ Langley Event Center...
Topped up to full in Hope...
Dead battery at Comstock, towed in to Merritt visitor center, recharged at the DC...
Kelowna bound... Very low charge around Pennask, the downhill recharged enough to get into downtown kelowna, recharged...
Made it to Vernon to do a full recharge...
Kamloops bound, 97 to Barnhartvale Rd, took the back road to keep the speeds a bit slower to maintain some charge....
Made it to the DC in Kamloops with power to spare...
Burned a bit of juice leaving Kamloops but regained most of it on the downhill stretch on the Coq. heading to Merritt...
Topped up at the DC in Merritt and just made it back in to Hope for a full re-charge...
DC in langley, and back to home base in Burnaby.....

I was told that it was a pretty decent run... We have a couple Leaf's, this one in particular I assume is a little more beaten
on than our other one due to it being kept outside year round and a few times when the battery was completely drained..
Probably some power loss....

I will be trying the other one for performance, probably running the same or similar trip and see how that one performs as
it is regularly stored in a climate controlled parking garage....
B.C.A.A. - Burnaby
---------------------------
(2) 2012 Leaf's (SL) full load

christrit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:43 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 216005
Location: Burnaby
Contact: Website

Re: BC L3 Quick Charge Station Status

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 pm

BCIT appears to be up and running....
B.C.A.A. - Burnaby
---------------------------
(2) 2012 Leaf's (SL) full load

Return to “Canada”