CARWINGS ignoring almost all public Charging Stations in QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlino

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere in Canada, but CARWINGS and LEAF's navigation system are next to useless for locating public charging stations in Quebec.

The only exception is if you wish to charge at a Nissan dealership.

Three networks, https://suncountryhighway.ca, http://www.lecircuitelectrique.com/index.en.html , and http://www.reseauver.com/index.en.html account for 99% of the public stations in Quebec, but CARWINGS doesn't track any of them.

When I use the NAV system to locate nearby places to charge, it basically only returns Nissan dealerships and places I've added. Once, when I visited Montreal, it found the only ChargePoint network location in the entire province. Tracking ChargePoint is important in many places in North America, but is little use in Quebec. CARWINGS needs to take into account the networks that are actually serving EV owners here.

lecircuitelectrique is pretty much limited to Quebec, but Suncountryhighway is Trans-Canada and reseauver, also known as VERnetwork, has a growing number of locations in BC. Are stations from the last two tracked by CARWINGS elsewhere in Canada?

I called the LEAF helpline about this. They recommended I go to my dealer to have them add the stations. Of course, that is not going to help. However, they also suggested I call Navtech, the company that has the contract to run CARWINGS. I ended up submitting an online form to Navtech, asking that they add the appropriate networks.

It is like that for most of Canada, Nissan almost never adds charging stations to the database unless they are dealerships.
Your best bet is to use plugshare or any other app and explore, once you have been there once, your Leaf will remember the locations so you can find them again easily. (unless you disabled that setting)

Thanks for mentioning PlugShare. It's a very useful tool and even Nissan recommends it.

However, rather than using a cell-phone app, it would be often be easier to use a tool integrated into the LEAF's NAV system.

For whatever reason, a high percentage of local charging stations are misreported on PlugShare. The most common errors are public ones listed as "Access Restricted," and private ones listed as "Public." I'm hoping to eventually have more reliable information from the LEAF's NAV system (it maintains a list of Gas stations, so why not an up-to-date database of Charging stations?) However, I may be too optimistic and naive.

Navtech responded quickly to my comment. However, they advised me that Dunn and Bradstreet provides them with their Point-of-Interest information, thus I need to contact yet another company.

I am in Montreal and the NAV is completely useless.

The charging stations at Nissan Canada on hwy 40 are not even listed.

The maps are completely out of date.

Back