Guess O Meter question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galiano

We have a 2013 SL with 4000 km on it. Great car so far but I have a question. After a 100 % charge the Guess O Meter reads between 145 and 147, never higher. At 80 % charge we get about 117 kms.

From what I have read I think this is low. What should it read ? What does yours read ?

The GOM displays an estimate based on your SOC and your recent driving. It would only be reliable if you always drove exactly the same speed in exactly the same weather on totally level roads, never carrying any passengers or cargo.

If not, just watch your SOC display. You'll learn from experience how far you can go.

Mine displays 100 miles or do when it's 100% and I would probably really get about 70 on average. I never get to LBW, so I'll never really know.

OK , being a newbie I don't know what you mean by SOC. My concern is that the GOM right from day one has maxed out at 149 kms or less and I thought it would be 160 + kms.

SoC = State of Charge... on the 2013 it should show as a battery icon with a percentage inside when you toggle the right screen.

The GoM is an estimate of remaining range based on 1) Your current SoC, 2) Your previous driving conditions (how fast you drove, climate control on/off, etc...), 3) Your current driving conditions.

If the previous night you mostly drove 70MPH on the highway with your heater running, your GoM will indicate less range the following morning than if you drove 20MPH through side streets with your heater off, even though your SoC and current conditions are identical.

+1

So, forget about whatever the GOM reads, it has no useful value. It's probably the one thing that scares a test driver the most. Taking it up on the highway, or up a steep hill, and watching the miles or kms melt away.

Pay no attention to the GuessOMeter when the battery is full. It is a wild guess based on too many unknown variables. If you are saying you think you should actually be able to go 160km without recharging, most people have never gone that far. Out of more than 10,000 people registered on this board, fewer than 100 have reported having ever gone past that mark.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Pay no attention to the GuessOMeter when the battery is full. It is a wild guess based on too many unknown variables. If you are saying you think you should actually be able to go 160km without recharging, most people have never gone that far. Out of more than 10,000 people registered on this board, fewer than 100 have reported having ever gone past that mark.

Ray

Actually I had no illusions about travelling 160 km, only that I have heard others suggest that on a full charge they have normally around 160 km on the GOM. I realize that it's not what I will be able to drive but if starting at 160 vs starting at 145, one would assume you would have more range available. Perhaps only a portion of those extra 15 kms. Or am I missing something ?

Galiano said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

Actually I had no illusions about travelling 160 km, only that I have heard others suggest that on a full charge they have normally around 160 km on the GOM. I realize that it's not what I will be able to drive but if starting at 160 vs starting at 145, one would assume you would have more range available. Perhaps only a portion of those extra 15 kms. Or am I missing something ?

do you live at the top of the hill?

Galiano said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

What you're missing is that the GOM has nothing to do with range, other than to give you a ballpark estimate. If it reads 160 or 145 you'll get the exact same range based soley on your driving parameters.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
What you're missing is that the GOM has nothing to do with range, other than to give you a ballpark estimate. If it reads 160 or 145 you'll get the exact same range based soley on your driving parameters.

LEAFrangeChartVersion7G100.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
Galiano said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

We live at sea level. It's all uphill (slightly ) from here.

Galiano said:
Actually I had no illusions about travelling 160 km, only that I have heard others suggest that on a full charge they have normally around 160 km on the GOM. I realize that it's not what I will be able to drive but if starting at 160 vs starting at 145, one would assume you would have more range available. Perhaps only a portion of those extra 15 kms. Or am I missing something?
Seriously, no two people drive exactly the same way, or exactly the same route. Even you do not drive every day with exactly the same conditions. Since your GOM estimate in the morning is based in part on how and where you were driving yesterday, how much traffic you had, what the wind speed was, what the temperature was, whether the streets were wet or icy, etc., you cannot depend on it. Not as a promise of how far you can go, and not as a measure of how healthy your battery is.

Just stop obsessing on it. Treat it as a quaint joke, or ignore it. If you really want to know how healthy your battery is you will need to invest in one of the aftermarket monitor devices discussed on this board. Or run some tests from 100% to Turtle. (Though I don't personally recommend that, because the tests themselves may change the results for the worse.)

Ray

Galiano said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Galiano said:

We live at sea level. It's all uphill (slightly ) from here.

ok, well something in the last 5 minutes of your drive before you get home is lowering your estimate.

I am also on the west coast and posted earlier on a different thread (which i cant remember right now) about my performance. I live in Oly, office in Tacoma. I drive there on Northbound I-5 but my route is mostly due East.

there is an elevation gain to Tacoma (about 80 feet) but I get 20% better performance (185-205 watt-hours per mile) than when going West; Southbound I-5 (215-245 wh/mile) and the reason?

I am right next to the water like I imagine you to be so there is always prevailing winds. So elevation is usually the obvious answer but not always the case and I am just one example.

so, do you drive with a headwind coming home? guessing you do. now this is a bit of a roundabout explanation but we are working with a car that is very efficient. so much so that small minor things that are barely noticeable in a gasser really stand out here.

the other thing to remember which has been mentioned here several times; there is a reason why its called Guessometer...

planet4ever said:
Just stop obsessing on it. Treat it as a quaint joke, or ignore it. If you really want to know how healthy your battery is you will need to invest in one of the aftermarket monitor devices discussed on this board. Or run some tests from 100% to Turtle. (Though I don't personally recommend that, because the tests themselves may change the results for the worse.)

Ray

I mostly agree with this advice, two minor points: I believe (only personal experience from what is written on these forums and my experience with two 2013 LEAFs) that the GOM on 2013 Leafs is somewhat more accurate than on prior years Leafs.

I do, however, recommend that every Leaf owner do a range test from 100% to Turtle, at least once. I found it tremendously reassuring to find how much range is available below VLBW, and to assure myself that the "Low Capacity" battery is actually normal, no matter what the number reported on LeafSpy, or one of the other optional SOC meters show. I don't believe there is much objective data showing damage to the Leaf battery with rarely hitting Turtle exists. Remember Turtle is not actually a fully discharged battery.

But do remember that, as you approach Turtle, the battery voltage plummets and this IS known to be bad for any type of Li battery...

stjohnh said:
I don't believe there is much objective data showing damage to the Leaf battery with rarely hitting Turtle exists. Remember Turtle is not actually a fully discharged battery.

stjohnh said:
I do, however, recommend that every Leaf owner do a range test from 100% to Turtle, at least once. I found it tremendously reassuring to find how much range is available below VLBW, and to assure myself that the "Low Capacity" battery is actually normal, no matter what the number reported on LeafSpy, or one of the other optional SOC meters show. I don't believe there is much objective data showing damage to the Leaf battery with rarely hitting Turtle exists. Remember Turtle is not actually a fully discharged battery.

not that I am against range tests but that test is only accurate for the conditions in which the test was performed. more than a few people have run out of charge because they used previous experiences as a guide to how far they could go.

a better recommendation would be to get one of the cheap monitoring options. LEAF Spy is a great option and VERY cheap especially if you have an old Android Smartphone lying around. This allows you to know where the bottom is which imm is much more valuable than knowing how big the tank is...

TomT said:
But do remember that, as you approach Turtle, the battery voltage plummets and this IS known to be bad for any type of Li battery...

stjohnh said:
I don't believe there is much objective data showing damage to the Leaf battery with rarely hitting Turtle exists. Remember Turtle is not actually a fully discharged battery.

+1 on this. its really increasing your odds of having a bad day. add a little imbalance to the pack and you might regret pushing your luck.

DaveinOlyWA said:
a better recommendation would be to get one of the cheap monitoring options. LEAF Spy is a great option and VERY cheap especially if you have an old Android Smartphone lying around. This allows you to know where the bottom is which imm is much more valuable than knowing how big the tank is...
batteryproblemmnl

Yes, but stjohnh already has that, and more. His particular concern is that the Ah value does not properly reflect the full capacity of the pack on his 2013 LEAFs. Oddly, there is some extra capacity bunched up below the low battery warning, and the only way to find out how much of it, is through a discharge test. While discharging to turtle is not recommended on a daily basis, and old-timers who have experienced problems with lead-acid and nickel-metal hydride batteries in the past are vary to push the battery to low SOC reaches, an occasional range test won't have any measurable impact on battery health. Take me as an anecdotal example: I followed Tony's footsteps and had between 20 to 30 turtle events on my LEAF while working on the reverse SOC meter thread. My LEAF had the GID count and range one would expect for its age, location and mileage. Luckily, I did not get stranded because of all this testing, although I did have to push the LEAF into the garage on one occasion, since I did not estimate the onset of turtle mode correctly. All that said, if we could find a good protocol for a static discharge test, which could be performed in the comfort of a garage, then that would be preferable, as it would take the edge off this type of testing.

Back