What will the LEAF 2014 cost in Canada?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlino

A few months ago, there were whisperings that Nissan Canada would drop the MSRP of the MY13 LEAF by $1,000 in Canada. (Perhaps by dropping the manufacturers rebate of $1,500 that was offered most of the year.)

However, I'm afraid that the timing (today) of the MY14 release in the USA is very bad for Canadian pricing.

Nissan Canada announced the price of the MY13 LEAF in June, when the Loonie was worth 0.98 USD. In mid-October, when Nissan originally planned to debut the MY14 LEAF, the CAD was still worth 0.97 USD.

However, now the CAD trades for only 0.92 USD. It has lost two cents over the last couple of days. All other things being equal, this might equate to a 6.5% price increase over last year. (Compared to a 0.5% increase in the USA).

On the bright side, Nissan Canada should offer the MY14 soon, not five months after Nissan USA as was the case with MY13.

After checking, the MSRP is the same as in 2013. The destination and prep charges may have gone up by $100, but I'm not sure.

The LEAF will again be pre-configured in Canada. There is no choice of options beyond selecting the trim level. Since the President of Nissan Canada recently said he thought he could sell 3,000 LEAFs per year, I was hoping this apparent increase in supply would lead to more choice, but it is not the case.

Considering the weakness of the Canadian dollar, I am thankful that there was no price increase. It remains to be seen if there will be a manufacturer's rebate offered in 2014 as there was in much of 2013.

Berlino said:
The LEAF will again be pre-configured in Canada. There is no choice of options beyond selecting the trim level.

And colo(u)r. ;)

Off topic but why is the loonie sliding in value so much so quickly? I remember visiting Canada in the days of sub USD 0.70 exchange rates but for many years your economy has been better than ours.

RonDawg said:
[

Off topic but why is the loonie sliding in value so much so quickly?

Sorry, but you're asking the wrong guy. If I had a better grip on such markets, I wouldn't have left most of my cash in USD when I emigrated to Canada in 2004.

Well I wasn't asking for a Ben Stein-level of economic analysis :lol: but I was wondering of something happened up there that would affect the currency market to that level, such as rising unemployment, or if your equivalent to our Federal Reserve did something to upset the balance (or we did something to upset the balance).

Here is some info on why the Canadian Dollar is dropping. long story short - strength of USD against global currency, perceived increase in strength of US economy, growth in Canada that is expected to under perform the US. Really though a weaker dollar is good for Canadian manufacturers that have been hit pretty hard in recent years.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/01/08/canadian_dollar_slumps_to_threeyear_low.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the pricing I ordered mine at he beginning of November at 2013 pricing but will be getting a 2014. Looks like nothing major has changed. I did notice the finance rate for 2014 on the website is now 6.29% for purchase - no lease rate on there though. Otherwise everything looks basically the same.

What are the package options for the Leaf 2014 in Canada?
I can't seem to find anything clearly printed for the Canadian prepackage.

Mmen said:
What are the package options for the Leaf 2014 in Canada?
I can't seem to find anything clearly printed for the Canadian prepackage.

Unfortunately, you cannot select any options in Canada. You only have a choice of trim and colour. Note that the trims come slightly differently equipped than they do in the USA.

Back