triflic
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026057

Re: Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes I bought this used (but the situation could very well be that I lived in the UNITED STATES, then moved to Canada and brought the car with me, lots of people are mobile in thier careers and do this). My previous car was a new 2003 Nissan Maxima SE. The relevant point being: When customers are purchasing CAN$40,000 vehicles, and you have it in your power to make those customers happy, why piss them off?

If they do not care, and continue to ignore my highly-proactive approach to getting customer satisfaction, then I can always buy a Chevrolet Bolt as my next vehicle.

Isn't it in Nissan's best interest to keep their customers buying Nissans?

medtech1
Delivery Date: 21 Jul 2016

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Rondawg, you could say the same about even the US owners of US sourced leafs prior to 2015. They had no legal obligation to provide a 2G upgrade campaign to anyone outside the standard first year warranty (in my opinion). That said, morally, and for the reputation of NISSAN from leaf owners, I think it may do them more damage if they don't.
Last edited by medtech1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

medtech1

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:28 pm

btw... with your reference to US sourced cars owned in Canada, I disagree that they can be referred to as "grey market". Before purchasing mine, I contacted NISSAN Canada to confirm I'd be entitled to any warranty provided to the original owner in the US. Not only that, they actually told me right when I was changing the owner to my name, that I'd be getting a letter in the mail regarding the 2G to 3G upgrade so I could get it done.

My dealer has no issues providing me warranty repair as if I purchased it from them. Nothing was "illegal", unauthorized or "against nissan's rules" by me, or anyone purchasing a US sourced car from Canada (or moving to Canada after the purchase).

Nissan just a week ago told me, all I have to do to get the upgrade was drive to a US Dealer and they'll do it. That said, I've had conflicting statements from many Nissan support reps.

I do feel that Nissan has decided to kick those owners to the curb, because they think we're negligible. However, if enough of us make a stink, it may do something. (and if no one does, nothing will happen for sure).

triflic - where abouts are you located in Canada

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

medtech1 wrote:Rondawg, you could say the same about even the US owners of US sourced leafs prior to 2015.

Exactly, it took a class-action lawsuit for them to offer what we (meaning US owners of cars meant for US consumption) have now in terms of battery capacity warranty coverage and an allegedly improved battery chemistry for 2015 and later cars. So someone who bought a car used, from a different country, would mean even less to them.

I'm just saying that when you import a car from one country to another, you can't necessarily expect the dealer network in the new country to support it, even if they sell an identical car new on the same property. Again there are several threads from New Zealanders upset that Nissan NZ refuses to even TOUCH their ex-JDM cars.

Nissan Canada is offering warranty coverage for US-sold cars as long as the car is not exported outside of the US within 6 months of original new sale; this is to protect Canadian dealers from being undercut by the Yanks during times when the Loonie is worth more than the buck. But the following website lists car manufacturers in Canada who do NOT honor warranties for identical models sold on this side of the border:

https://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinfo ... ntheUS.asp Note that Honda/Acura, Hyundai/Kia, and VW do NOT offer warranty coverage in Canada for US-purchased cars. Subaru Canada won't honor the warranty directly, but Subaru America is willing to reimburse you by "gentlemans agreement" between them and their Canadian counterpart. Audi and Suzuki (which pulled out of the US market a few years ago) only offer "Canadian warranty coverage" which may or may not be equivalent to that in the US. Chrysler Canada requires pre-approval before importing the car from the US by someone moving to Canada. Only Ford and Toyota/Lexus offers full coverage as if the US and Canada were all one country.

Nissan just a week ago told me, all I have to do to get the upgrade was drive to a US Dealer and they'll do it. That said, I've had conflicting statements from many Nissan support reps.

Nothing I've said contradicts/conflicts with that. Canadians who have ex-US Leafs and want this upgrade may have to do just that.

btw... with your reference to US sourced cars owned in Canada, I disagree that they can be referred to as "grey market".

"Grey market" defines a product sold outside of normal distribution channels. A Leaf (or other car) imported used from another country would fit this definition, even if a new one sold officially is otherwise identical. You definitely come across this with many electronic devices, particularly cameras, where if not sold through an officially sanctioned retailer may not have warranty coverage.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

evken
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 008233

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm

My 2011SL is valued at $7800 ca. To send 2000 on the 3G upgrade is insane!

triflic

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:51 pm

medtech1 wrote:
triflic - where abouts are you located in Canada

I'm in Greater Toronto.

triflic

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 am

evken wrote:My 2011SL is valued at $7800 ca. To send 2000 on the 3G upgrade is insane!

I hear you there. Upon further discussion with my local dealership the actual cost is (in Canadian $):

$1921.35 + $600 Install + HST (ontario taxes) = $2849.13

medtech1

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 am

triflic wrote:
evken wrote:My 2011SL is valued at $7800 ca. To send 2000 on the 3G upgrade is insane!

I hear you there. Upon further discussion with my local dealership the actual cost is (in Canadian $):

$1921.35 + $600 Install + HST (ontario taxes) = $2849.13

of which $2600 out of the $2849 is most likely profit.

Personally, its stuff like this, that will make me head straight towards TESLA, and way from NISSAN.

triflic

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 am

I love my LEAF a lot. I've got 50,000km on the vehicle and it runs great. I've never had a service issue (Battery lost a bar at approx. 35,000km, but this was certainly in line with expectations.) and have put new tires on the car, but otherwise the vehicle operated as promised. This is good, and keeps expectations of EV high, and keeps me engaged as a customer. It's nice to have a really great product.

The telematics / legacy / tech is the first real issue I've experienced with the car. (Which I successfully reprogrammed (CARWINGS) to work in Canada, back when I got the car in 2014). I did this myself, through research and diligence, and trial and error, in spite of various Nissan experts (including the telematics customer support line) telling me it was not possible.

It stings a bit that a multinational company is offering a package on the car for the bulk of the customers (read: US Leafs between 2011-2015) to bring it up to current tech (you can be this is so because Nissan knew it 'cut a corner' going with Edge/2G back in 2011, where 2G was legacy tech even before 2010), but then deny those vehicles the same service just because they happen to be located outside the USA market.

To me it is not rocket science to ship the parts and the engineering bulletins to dealerships in the few special cases to retain happy customers and engender good word of mouth.

Or you could send potential loyal Nissan customers towards Tesla, Chevy or Volkswagen.
It's easy to spread-sheet hard-capital numbers and see loss/gain in $$. But it is often the emotional soft-customer service that is much harder to quantify, that does a LOT of the work towards generating loyalty and passion for a brand (or in the current internet speak, create "fan-boys.")

triflic

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 am

RonDawg wrote:I'm just saying that when you import a car from one country to another, you can't necessarily expect the dealer network in the new country to support it, even if they sell an identical car new on the same property. Again there are several threads from New Zealanders upset that Nissan NZ refuses to even TOUCH their ex-JDM cars.

I'm not expecting the DEALER network to support the car. I am expecting NISSAN CORPORATE, to support their customers who purchase their vehicles, and are likely to purchase their vehicles in the future. And enable the DEALERSHIPS to make the customers happy. The customer feels taken care of. The Dealership has more engagement with future customers. The Corporate Parent can keep moving product. This is the way the value chain should work. This is what Corporate CEOs and VPs preach in their keynotes, and other PR talks. I'm just asking the company to 'walk the walk' in a global, networked, and information-rich marketplace. You know, the 21st century.

Return to “Canada”