patf
Delivery Date: 06 Jan 2017

Re: Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm

My CARWINGS last worked January 14,2017 at 07:18 PM, before that it was working fine.

I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it and was relived to hear that I am not the only one with problems.

One thing I wanted to know is if anyone has gotten the 3G TCU upgrade and have it work in Canada? I will pay US$199 for the upgrade as long as I know that it works in Vancouver.

medtech1
Delivery Date: 21 Jul 2016

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Theres a few of us in the same boat as you and wondering the same. Hopefully we'll hear from a Canadian Leaf owner who has done the upgrade, but I have yet to see anyone do it.

Facebook also has a forum that is discussing this subject called "Canada Nissan Leaf Owners" if you're interested.

triflic
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026057

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:19 pm

I have joined (and commented) on that Facebook Page. I will continue to track specific people inside the Nissan Corporation until someone with enough authority says, "MAKE IT SO" and hopefully, a REASONABLE compromise to 'drive down to another country for a few days' or pay >$2500 is reached.

triflic

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Success. VIA THIS FORUM. I'm reposting the work-around here from the other thread in this forum in my own words

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada (viewtopic.php?p=482792&sid=fd35a9c966ccddbb02104435fed29472#p482792 )

Log into Nissan Connect Website, Remove your Vehicle from the system: (click "My Garage" tab -> click "Remove Vehicle") It will give an ominous warning message, but no worries.

Call DEVIN at Nissan Connect 1-800-343-6913x457505
Tell him to wipe clean your VIN# and then add it back to the Nissan Canada portal.
Add Your Vehicle (It will prompt for your VIN#)
It will then give you a new userid and password to be entered into the LEAF TCU, you have to do this manually into the car via the Settings->Carwings menu then click "Send ID and Password" on the TCU screen. This may take up to 5 minutes or more. For me, at first, it just started registering nearby charging stations, about 5 minutes after that, I resent the id/password manually, and it fully authenticated the vehicle.

Then go back to https://canada.nissanconnect.com/ login and you should see your car with a new USER ID.

Click (red) CARWINGS bar below the Car icon.

You will now get updates. Can initiate pre-heating, and grab data from the vehicle again!

YAY!

(Of course if your local service provider (for me it is Rogers) shuts their 2G down any time in the future, you will lose access, probably forever this time.)

medtech1

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Just FYI, I got mine working as well, but I had mine added to the US Nissan Connect because I did it before realizing it could also be done from the Canadian one.

If you use the US connect, it will give your info in miles, instead of KM's and I don't think texting will work, because you need to select your carrier. (although I will experiment).

Canuck
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm

triflic wrote:Success. VIA THIS FORUM. I'm reposting the work-around here from the other thread in this forum in my own words

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada (viewtopic.php?p=482792&sid=fd35a9c966ccddbb02104435fed29472#p482792 )

Thanks -- your post directed me to the other thread and I got mine to work too using the online chat too. My story is here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23248&p=482813#p482813

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:23 pm

I am also floating about in the 2G shutdown boat here in the GWN. I'm just north of Winnipeg with a 2012 SL imported from the US.

I purchased a US sourced TCU upgrade unit from an online Nissan parts store in Texas, p/n 283B0-3NA2A. Cost was US$205 +US$11 for shipping to Pembina ND and then CDN $35 at the border (plus $$$ for the drive Winnipeg to Pembina and back) . So call it abt $315 CDN (plus time and gas for the road trip.) Took three or four days. I was quoted $1700 and seven weeks locally at one place, the other guy said simply can't do, US part numbers are different ... etc. So that one way to get a new US spec TCU.

I am now mulling installation. The unit looks simple enough - three connectors and a few mounting screws. So self-install (the warranty issue is probably not something to worry about from other comments about Nissan) and then tackle the IMEI switch over by phone to Nissan USA? One assumes the TCU IMEI is keyed to the VIN somehow and must be changed to get into the Connect system for a new ID and password.

Just wondering if that's a doable or if anyone else has tried this route?

Cheers Jim
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

triflic

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Curious to see how that works out. Local dealership quoted me $1900 and $600 install. That is why I went the 'no new hardware route.'

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Update on my 3G TCU Install

I went ahead and put my new 3G TCU in the car today.

For average DIYers, it should be about a 30 minute job. The unit installs just to the right of the glove box compartment against the side wall of the car forward of the passenger door.

Step 1, Remove the glove box compartment, take out 8 Phillips head screws (4 at the door hinges, 2 at the top outer edges, and 2 at the top of the interior), there is also a small panel above the passenger's toes that should come off as well, snaps in no screws. The glove box should slide down and back.
Step 2. The TCU is held in an aluminum mounting tray which is held to the door frame by 2 more Philips head screws, take them out, slide the tray up, and then it will swing and rotate towards the centre of the car.
Step 3. There are 4 Torex 25 screws holding the TCU in the tray to remove next.
Step 4. Seemed like a good idea to remove all electrical power, so I disconnected the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery.
Step 5. Undo the three connectors by depressing the locking tabs.
Step 6. Plug the three connectors into the new TCU, they are coded by size and orientation so will not be confused.

Reassemble things by reversing steps 1 to 4.

Powering on, everything came up fine. Carwings attempts to connect but results in a fail message. About three bars signal strength at my location and it is communicating but not logging in.

Next step is try and get some one at Nissan to wipe the old TCU off my VIN and insert the new TCU number.

Giving up for weekend!

Cheers, Jim
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

medtech1

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:44 pm

stonymtnleaf: Hey is your car from the US, as well as did you get the TCU from a US Nissan Parts dealer?

Thanks
Michelle

Update: sorry.. disregard.. I read back in the thread and saw your info from a previous post. I'm anxious to hear how this goes and especially if it works in Canada under rogers?

Return to “Canada”