AlanC

Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

It seems a lot of people (in Vancouver at least) are buying US imported LEAFs. From what I understand, the GPS/Nav works fine, but CARWINGS does not. Has anyone successfully tried to switch the telematics unit, or gotten a Rogers SIM card, or have it converted/activated through a Canadian dealership directly?

There seems to be quite a few Nav functions tied to CARWINGS, so I had some related questions:
- Do you get error messages because CARWINGS doesn't connect?
- Does CARWINGS connect when you visit the States?
- Does the map get updated via CARWINGS, or just the charging station locations?

I read about a link to a replacement CARWINGS-like system here: http://openvehicles.com, which you'd buy a new telematics unit for just over $100. Has anyone used that?

Thank you!

(Soon-to-be-LEAF-owner!)

evken
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 008233

Re: Importing US Leafs to Canada - CARWINGS

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 pm

I bought a 2011 leaf from usa last year. At the time it was allow of money to convert to canadian carwings as you had to replace the telemetric unit. Changing the sims card does not work. I now drive down to the peace arch park to get updates as the carwings connects there. PS I got a USA account by calling Nissan USA.

AlanC

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:16 pm

evken wrote:I bought a 2011 leaf from usa last year. At the time it was allow of money to convert to canadian carwings as you had to replace the telemetric unit. Changing the sims card does not work. I now drive down to the peace arch park to get updates as the carwings connects there. PS I got a USA account by calling Nissan USA.

I'm willing to replace that telematics unit. Did you ask a local dealership or someone else? It's good to know you get updates just by driving down there as I go to Bellingham a lot.

But this raises a big question: if the telematics unit only works for the US OR Canada, what about Americans who travel to Canada, and Canadians who want to travel to the US? Luckily, the GPS should work, but not getting the local charge station locations is... very unfortunate.

P.S. I'm in Richmond as well, and with the Canadian LEAF prices, buying a US import will save me several thousand $, so that's the way to go for me.

evken

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm

When US Leafs come up here they can not use Carwings and same when we go down there. It has to do with the telephone companies. AT&T is used down there and Rogers up here with no crossover allowed. Carwings also works only on 2G and since this is being droped next year by both companies Carwings will stop working. That is unless Nissan does something to upgrade it. My Carwings only works in the USA because I got a US account on the phone from Nissan USA. Nissan Canada was not willing to help me. As for changing out the telemetrics unit. Both dealers I checked with only stated it was A lot of money and that they had not done it. I just had my free three contact with Carwings USA extended for free by Nissan USA. I got my Leaf from Motorized Auto Direct in Victoria. He brings up US leafs and does all the paper work. I saved about $14000.00 and on his website is shows 2011 for about 22500 and 2012 for about 26500. Check it out. Good luck

AlanC

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for your help, evken. Motorize is probably where I'm going to buy one from as well. He seemed more knowledgeable than any dealer salesman I've dealt with (and he owns one himself), and his prices are what they SHOULD be in BC. Glad to see he's smart enough to import multiple Leafs from the U.S. and take care of all the paperwork and conversions beforehand. He's cornering the market in the lower mainland as long as the government isn't helping with EV subsidies!

It's too bad the cell companies or Nissan Canada aren't helpful. It's strange about not being able to use it cross-border considering so many Canadians cross the border for vacation (and vice versa), and your actual cell phones don't stop working... they just go into "roam" mode and connect with the cell phone partner in the new country.

evken

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I had great service from him and no problems with my leaf. 53000 km and counting and battery at 85% Let me know when you get yours Ken

evken

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm

For some reason the Carwings on my USA Leaf has started working in Vancouver BC today. When I got in and started it the charging stations updated themself. Has anyone heard about Nissan making Carwings work in both countries?

AlanC

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

evken wrote:For some reason the Carwings on my USA Leaf has started working in Vancouver BC today. When I got in and started it the charging stations updated themself. Has anyone heard about Nissan making Carwings work in both countries?

Whoa... that sounds promising. Has it done it again today? Were you anywhere near the border?

Another way to test it is to see if it connects to the CARWINGS iPhone app. It would be amazing if it suddenly worked!

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

[quote= He brings up US leafs and does all the paper work.
Should this thread be renamed Importing USed leafs to Canada? Sure would help if Christy would bring back provincial incentives/grants.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

evken

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:04 pm

It is connecting to the app leaf connect but not the nissan canadian leaf app. I am using my us account. I have full control of carwings including rss feeds.

Return to “Canada”