Ontario increases EV incentive up to $14K!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSarge

Great news today, as we just bought a Leaf last week! It is apparently retroactive to Jan 1. :cool:

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/10/ontario-offering-14000-in-incentives-to-people-who-buy-electric-cars/

Kevin

I was trying to contact the government to find out how much incentives they really provide and they always referring to $9,600 for Nissan Leaf, even though the 2016 SL MSRP is $40,548 and based on calculation it should be around $12,000.

Have you already received your incentive? Or would you know how much it is going to be?

Thanks.

gabo said:
I was trying to contact the government to find out how much incentives they really provide and they always referring to $9,600 for Nissan Leaf, even though the 2016 SL MSRP is $40,548 and based on calculation it should be around $12,000.

Have you already received your incentive? Or would you know how much it is going to be?

Thanks.
Hi gabo,

We got the $8500 off at purchase of the Leaf SL on Feb 1, but have not received the retroactive cheque yet. From my interpretation, the Leaf SL has an MSRP of $40,548, so it should be eligible for $12,164, which would be the maximum 30%. So, we are expecting a cheque for $3,664. :)

I will report back to confirm. :cool:

KSarge said:
gabo said:

Thanks.
Hi gabo,

We got the $8500 off at purchase of the Leaf SL on Feb 1, but have not received the retroactive cheque yet. From my interpretation, the Leaf SL has an MSRP of $40,548, so it should be eligible for $12,164, which would be the maximum 30%. So, we are expecting a cheque for $3,664. :)

Thanks, please do.

MTO replied to me after 3 weeks, stating following:

"The manufacturer applied to the program with a specific MSRP amount to each vehicle. That is the number the program used to determine the amount in the tables.
Not the MSRP given from each dealership to the customer.
The amount for each vehicle is a blanket amount. No calculations need to be completed. The table is used to determine the incentive."

I'm still hopping that they will pay the full 30% from $40,548.

Gabo

gabo said:
KSarge said:
gabo said:

Thanks.
Hi gabo,

Thanks, please do.

MTO replied to me after 3 weeks, stating following:

"The manufacturer applied to the program with a specific MSRP amount to each vehicle. That is the number the program used to determine the amount in the tables.
Not the MSRP given from each dealership to the customer.
The amount for each vehicle is a blanket amount. No calculations need to be completed. The table is used to determine the incentive."

I'm still hopping that they will pay the full 30% from $40,548.

Gabo

Hi Gabo,

Sorry for the delay, I don't seem to have notification turned on for this thread (but I selected it now).

I haven't received any update yet on the incentive, but here is the official policy:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-2096E~3/$File/2096E_Guide.pdf

Specifically, look at page 2:

"Purchase incentives are not to exceed 30% of MSRP. The incentive value will be calculated based on the MSRP on the date of the purchase or lease.
Please note the following important information:
• The total value of the incentives cannot exceed 30% of the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). The incentive value will be calculated based on the MSRP on date of the purchase or lease."

And...

"MSRP
MSRP is the base value of the each model and trim level exclusive of options, taxes, PDI and freight."

To me, that sounds pretty clear that they take into consideration the trim level of the vehicle to calculate the rebate amount. However, they use the MSRP amount (not the sale amount), which should generally be in the interest of the consumer. ;)

I do agree that the whole process is very vague, though...

Hi,

I agree with you - calculation should work, hopefully.

I am planning to get Nissan Leaf 2016 SV (or SL), but $3,000 difference between calculation and the MTO table are lot. So I'm waiting.

Nissan is ignoring my questions and asking me to talk to dealers - you probably know how knowledgable the dealers are about EV.
And MTO is responding as I quoted in my previous post.

Still I shouldn't complain - $9,600 is more than $8,500. I was ready to get the Leaf this spring. But now when I know that there is a chance to get $12,100 (for SL), I would rather wait couple of weeks or months.

You hinted in your post that you paid less than MSRP. I went through negotiation with Nissan in Ottawa, and the dealers didn't even discussed price less than MSRP. My initial negotiation started around 1,500 more than MSRP. They said that they include some "etching" and some service.... that is why they price is higher. We are now around MSRP when I said that I don't care about those extras.

I am not ready to sign the deal (because of this "not clear" Ontario incentives), but in your experience there is a room to push the price down below MSRP even for Leaf, right?

Thanks,

Gabo

Well, the margins are pretty slim, so there is not a lot of negotiating room, but I did get a few hundred dollars off, plus they threw in a few accessories (winter mats, bumper protector). There are other accessories available but those are the ones which appealed to us.

I would strongly caution against extended warranties, or the new electronic rust protection they push now. I also don't really believe etching is all that useful anymore either.

I definitely would not pay ABOVE MSRP, particularly with gas prices where they are, it's not like there is a huge demand for EVs right now.

I will let you know what happens with the rebate.

Good luck!

Hi,

Table with incentive amounts are updated on the MTO web site.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

Gabriel

Also, some dealers are giving you the rebate up front in the form of a discount. Alta Nissan in Woodbridge ON does this, so you don't have to wait for the rebate cheque. They file the paperwork with you.

kennethbokor said:
Also, some dealers are giving you the rebate up front in the form of a discount. Alta Nissan in Woodbridge ON does this, so you don't have to wait for the rebate cheque. They file the paperwork with you.
Yup, that's what our dealer did (Milton Nissan). No need to borrow or finance the money. A nice convenience at the very least. Still waiting for our incremental cheque from the government...

Thanks guys,

We went for test drive today. This was first time for my wife and she really loved it.

We should get Nissan Leaf SL 2016 - blue, probably on Monday. if everything works out. The dealer will take care of incentives. We had to push to increase the trade-in value, but otherwise there was no big room for negotiation.

Thanks for advice.

Gabo

gabo said:
Thanks guys,

We went for test drive today. This was first time for my wife and she really loved it.

We should get Nissan Leaf SL 2016 - blue, probably on Monday. if everything works out. The dealer will take care of incentives. We had to push to increase the trade-in value, but otherwise there was no big room for negotiation.

Thanks for advice.

Gabo
Maybe you could wiggle in a basic spare rim and tire c/w jack ( can't hurt to ask)... enjoy your SL.

Hi,

I received my 2016 Nissan Leaf SL yesterday. We like it. First reaction of my son (it was surprise for my kids) was really bad. He did not like it visually, preferred the old Mazda 3. We went for a ride, and both my son and daughter enjoyed it a lot. They turned on the heater on the back seat and they enjoyed the noise free ride. They were very surprised how quiet the car is.

To wrap up my Nissan experience so far - car feels like from the future, but shopping experience is like from the past. They should really address the dealership experience - get rid of all BS. If I would buy all the extended warranty, rust proof protection, paint protection, interior protection...I was offered, I would've paid probably another $6,000-$7,000. Do you, Nissan, really feel that your car is so bad, that the customer has to pay $7,000 on top of the MSRP, to protect it?

Also at Nissan Meyers (Ottawa) they add "etching" for $899. I was trying to get rid off it, but I couldn't. Or I would say - I didn't have to pay for it, because they lowered the price by that amount - but really, I spend 2 hours to negotiate the lower price, while at the end I got the MSRP amount and a feature I've never asked for.

So now I will try to forget about the dealership experience - hopefully I will go to service only a year from today :)

Gabo

Welcome to the world of dealers selling EVs. When I walked in there I knew more about about the car then the sales people did. They all try and pile on those extras because that's where they make your money. And be careful when you take it back for service. My dealer tried to get me to do a brake fluid flush at 1 year as well as a cabin air filter. Wanted to charge over 200 for it. EVs have so little maintenance that they will try try and gouge you where they can. All this means I hope my next car will be a Tesla purchased direct.

gabo said:
Hi,

I received my 2016 Nissan Leaf SL yesterday. We like it. First reaction of my son (it was surprise for my kids) was really bad. He did not like it visually, preferred the old Mazda 3. We went for a ride, and both my son and daughter enjoyed it a lot. They turned on the heater on the back seat and they enjoyed the noise free ride. They were very surprised how quiet the car is.

To wrap up my Nissan experience so far - car feels like from the future, but shopping experience is like from the past. They should really address the dealership experience - get rid of all BS. If I would buy all the extended warranty, rust proof protection, paint protection, interior protection...I was offered, I would've paid probably another $6,000-$7,000. Do you, Nissan, really feel that your car is so bad, that the customer has to pay $7,000 on top of the MSRP, to protect it?

Also at Nissan Meyers (Ottawa) they add "etching" for $899. I was trying to get rid off it, but I couldn't. Or I would say - I didn't have to pay for it, because they lowered the price by that amount - but really, I spend 2 hours to negotiate the lower price, while at the end I got the MSRP amount and a feature I've never asked for.

So now I will try to forget about the dealership experience - hopefully I will go to service only a year from today :)

Gabo

Congrats on your purchase! If I recall, you got the blue '16 Leaf SL? If so, our car's identical twin. :)

I agree about the experience. We knew more than the sales guys did - although he was very nice and zero pressure - but the sales manager was a complete asshat.

We had a few hiccups with delivery, like a missing SD card (which took almost a week to get) and problems with the NissanConnect at first (also party due to the security breach, which was timed almost perfectly with taking delivery) but they have since been worked out.

Have fun with your gas-free driving! :D

Back