BC Rebates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev12345

The CEV for BC program offers an instant $5000 rebate off the price of a leaf and Live-Smart BC is offering $500 towards a home charger.

The idea is to accelerate the adoption of clean vehicles in the province but aside from these small rebates, there are no other incentives to drive a "green" vehicle here. I would love to replace my 2002 civic with a Leaf but the cash rebate simply is not enough in my opinion.

If the provincial government wants to get serious about true EV adoption, here is what I would suggest:

- Do NOT increase the rebates. While the cash rebates are nice for the EV buyers, it's just another sticking point for tax payers subsidizing services they don't use.

- DC quick chargers along major routes. (Sea to Sky, Coquihalla etc).

- HOV lane stickers. Allow full access to HOV lanes with an EV. This is a no brainer and it costs the provincial government virtually nothing. Why this isn't already in effect is beyond me...

- Free use of toll bridges. (Golden Ears, New Port Mann, etc)

- Cheaper insurance rates from ICBC.

what do you guys think? Perhaps we should compile some more ideas to send to the ministries of environment and transportation.

TonyWilliams said:
You are suggesting pretty much exactly what we have in California.

Is there a national electric company in the great white north?

The majority of the province is served by BC Hydro.

The Ontario rebate is $8500 for a Leaf but it took a week to get it after I faxed in the form and copies of ownership, etc. An Imiev gets slightly less due the smaller battery. The Volt and Plug-in Prius get substantially less proportional to their battery size. No grant for home chargers. I currently ;) use the 110v EVSE that came with the car but have purchased an SPX plug-in 100-240v EVSE which will allow me to take it with me for campgrounds or other 240v sources.

We do get HOV access with a GREEN plate, though as a retiree that's of negligible use to me.

What we really need is the Fast Chargers at service centres along the 400 series highways I've been told they are comming but I won't hold my breath.

There's been no mention of any special treatment from Ontario Hydro, but I do have a time of use meter so can charge at off peak rates.

Back