New Leaf's in the Chicago land area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greengate said:
Any word on when we might start seeing the '13's at the dealers here in the Chicago area?

I always check auto trader for new car inventory listings; typically they will also show in-transit customer ordered cars as well as those for stock but it's a quick gauge for what's in the pipeline.

Today they show 37 2013 LEAF's but closest to Chicago was 95 miles so looks like it will be awhile. I'm sure they want to clear out the '12's but as auto trader showed only 210 'new' 2012's and only 4 within 100 miles of Chicago looks like it won't be long ... not all the '13's were in CA so at least they're shipping outside just the west coast. Hopefully these aren't simply labeled incorrectly but a tell-tale sign for a '13 will be in the increased trunk space (if they happen to show that!) as well as if you see different wheel covers for the base or the fancier silver/black wheels on the now super-deluxe SL -- these stand out versus what the '11's and '12's came with -- the mid-range looks the same as older years. (It also figures that not one '13 has other than a stock photo listed on their site so these ALL could simply be on order with Nissan and not actually at the dealer yet!!!).

I am picking up a '13 Leaf (metallic slate) tomorrow. I am located in central Illinois just west of Peoria. I typically see a few Leafs while in the our area. Our local dealer got their first 2013 a few weeks ago. It was the exact configuration that I wanted (and color) so I took the plunge and leased it. I was a little hesitant given all the bad press on the battery but figured the lease would limit the risk. I've had a Volt since Oct of 2011 and have accumulated over 20,000 EV miles out of 28,000 total miles. I am a firm believer in EV's. It has been slow to catch on down here but we now have a few Mitsubishi EV's, Leafs, Volts, and a Tesla Model S just popped up. We have also just recently had some charging stations installed in a new shopping center. I am hoping the trend continues.

Great that you love your car...MUCH the same for me.

I'll never look back and as I drive by gas stations, seeing them as pieces from a museum...which in reality they are..the people just haven't awakened to this yet. Soon I hope!!

Are the EV stations, (probably ChargePoint?) charging or are they free? We have some in our area that are free while others will charge $2 an hour. I've sort of taken it on as an objective to point out to them, (Premium Outlets, Walgreens,) the folly of their ways..It's like being taken by a tour operator to someplace deep in the desert and then offered water for $25 a bottle. Bad PR..Really bad, all so easily converted to something very positive if there were no charge. I have left them and unless they change their ways, I won't be back. With gold laying at their feet, they seem to be too stupid to pick it up. Old think...greed...bottom lone...results and so forth.

Even the City of Chicago charges at the airports. Shame on you Mr. Emanuel, Mayor of the City of Chicago. I thought you were wiser than that, shooting yourself in the foot with this policy when you could turn the opportunity into gold with "a flip of a switch" so- to -speak.

I read in USA Today about a week ago that Jackson Hole WY is installing Level 2 chargers, even though there are only 4 registered EV vehicles in the county. Now that's forward thinking and action. "Build it and they will come."

(I've been trying to find out how many EV's are registered in IL, but with all of our government's supposed openness, it must be a deeply held secret that even the director of the CIA would be barred from knowing. We do know how many farm vehicles, school busses, taxi's and on and on there are..but EV's? What the H are they?

Enough of my rant..

Enjoy your Leaf!!

And by the way; Thank you Nissan for having the guts to bring such a fine vehicle to the marketplace,,,and for building them here in the US...and for the dealerships ready to sell and service them. My buying experience was excellent. I suspect Nissan is "all eyes on this," for without a network..want to buy an Edsel or a Studebaker?

greengate said:
Great that you love your car...MUCH the same for me.

(I've been trying to find out how many EV's are registered in IL, but with all of our government's supposed openness, it must be a deeply held secret that even the director of the CIA would be barred from knowing. We do know how many farm vehicles, school busses, taxi's and on and on there are..but EV's? What the H are they?

Welcome '13's ... some of us have been out here for a while on the forum so be sure to check this looong thread for information about LEAF's in the area, it might not cover all questions but may be of interest ... perhaps the moderator can merge this thread but it's pretty long now anyway so we'll let them decide, Nissan sold a record number last month and that seems to be reflected in a LOT more posts on the forum. Here is the Chicagoland thread ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=357&start=1130

As to the number of EV's in Chicago, if you could rely on everyone who registers one in the state to use electric vehicle 'EL' plate series (special reduced rate 2-year plates only for EV's) you could simply see who has the highest assigned number (currently low 400's, these are assigned in sequence but the first 250 or so went to a few niche and home built EV's, these have been available for the last few years before most recent 'production' EV's became available) and go from there, but as I've seen some LEAF's with 'regular' plates, Environmental plates, etc. that's not an accurate indication --- the number for sure will only be in the low hundreds. Why IL Nissan dealer's don't let their customers know of the availability of this plate is anyone's guess plus not sure on the whole leasing thing but would assume the leasing company (Nissan) could as well. We've had our '12 since Dec '11 and seeing others on the road has still been few and far between ... love that new dark grey color so we'll be looking for them

JohnOver said:
I'm visiting Chicago (on business) and just got back to the hotel after a nice dinner at the Tavern on the Park. I noticed a silver LEAF with Illinois license plate: A71 4489 parked outside the restaurant. Is the owner of this LEAF on the forum?

Most (but certainly not all) Chicago area LEAF's will typically sport the 'EL' (IL electric vehicle) series plates ... the plate you listed was more than likely just a 'regular' plate transfer so perhaps doubtful anyone here -- but, I have seen a few '13's (telltale sign are those in the new Gray or with the new wheels) and they also have the 'regular' plates so perhaps a lurker who hasn't signed up for the forum yet

redLEAF said:
JohnOver said:
I'm visiting Chicago (on business) and just got back to the hotel after a nice dinner at the Tavern on the Park. I noticed a silver LEAF with Illinois license plate: A71 4489 parked outside the restaurant. Is the owner of this LEAF on the forum?

Most (but certainly not all) Chicago area LEAF's will typically sport the 'EL' (IL electric vehicle) series plates ... the plate you listed was more than likely just a 'regular' plate transfer so perhaps doubtful anyone here -- but, I have seen a few '13's (telltale sign are those in the new Gray or with the new wheels) and they also have the 'regular' plates so perhaps a lurker who hasn't signed up for the forum yet

It's amazing -- our state has special plates for every stupid cause or notion under the sun (I'll refrain for pointing fingers), universities, fraternities, and social clubs... All with pretty, colorful graphics and artwork on them.

But for its 'special' EV plates, they look worse than anything out there save municipal plates or taxi or DL dealer plates. And no choice of numbers/letters. Just plain dark text with "EL" after the numbers. Nothing else. Someone in the Sec. of State's office who hates EVs must have been laughing when these were being thought up. Come on guys, this was the best you could do? When we have a license with a fish on it????? A puppy and kitten plate????? EVs couldn't even get a lightening bolt, or a battery or something? Sheesh!

People should complain to Jesse White's office. Great price on the EV plates, but so ugly.

JohnOver said:
Thanks. It was a shot in the dark... All I could tell was that it was not a 2013 (old wheels).
Only the SL has the premium wheels. The easiest way of checking if it's a 2013 is by looking for the side markers on the front fenders, as those got removed in the 2013MY.

I actually started working on a guide which helps you figure out what kind of car you are dealing with (not complete yet, but the LEAF section is):

How to Spot an Electric Vehicle in the Wild

hyperlexis said:
redLEAF said:
JohnOver said:

It's amazing -- our state has special plates for every stupid cause or notion under the sun (I'll refrain for pointing fingers), universities, fraternities, and social clubs... All with pretty, colorful graphics and artwork on them.

But for its 'special' EV plates, they look worse than anything out there save municipal plates or taxi or DL dealer plates. And no choice of numbers/letters. Just plain dark text with "EL" after the numbers. Nothing else. Someone in the Sec. of State's office who hates EVs must have been laughing when these were being thought up. Come on guys, this was the best you could do? When we have a license with a fish on it????? A puppy and kitten plate????? EVs couldn't even get a lightening bolt, or a battery or something? Sheesh!

People should complain to Jesse White's office. Great price on the EV plates, but so ugly.

Your last sentence says it all ... to keep the price down, they made it quite simple and 'bland' ... heard from a forum member whose new 'EL' plate was in the 900's so perhaps we'll pass 1K pretty soon --- the latest crop of EV's didn't really start making a dent until about half-way through the 200's getting assigned (most earlier ones were one-off conversions) so numbers are still relatively low compared to the west coast and other areas.

lion said:
JohnOver said:
Thanks. It was a shot in the dark... All I could tell was that it was not a 2013 (old wheels).
Only the SL has the premium wheels. The easiest way of checking if it's a 2013 is by looking for the side markers on the front fenders, as those got removed in the 2013MY.

I actually started working on a guide which helps you figure out what kind of car you are dealing with (not complete yet, but the LEAF section is):

How to Spot an Electric Vehicle in the Wild

Nice start -- you'll also need to add the smart fortwo electric drive as NYS is getting theirs now ...

http://www.smartusa.com/models/electric-drive/overview.aspx

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/got-my-new-smart-ed-u-s-49051/index4.html

Your last sentence says it all ... to keep the price down, they made it quite simple and 'bland' ... heard from a forum member whose new 'EL' plate was in the 900's so perhaps we'll pass 1K pretty soon --- the latest crop of EV's didn't really start making a dent until about half-way through the 200's getting assigned (most earlier ones were one-off conversions) so numbers are still relatively low compared to the west coast and other areas.

Oh come on that's really a stretch! The taxi and dealer plates are just as bland and ugly yet not nearly as cheap as the EV plates. They made these EV plates bland because some dumb-ss without any thought or creativity in the SOS office did so just because. How much would it have cost for a basic design for an EV plate, and to then manufacture them, like other states have done? Likely not millions and millions.... Certainly not an overly significant cost issue. Or perhaps it was a downstate GOP decision? ...Yeah we'll make an EV plate because the legislature ordered them produced, but we certainly don't have to make them desireable.... Typical Springfield infighting.

hyperlexis said:

Oh come on that's really a stretch! The taxi and dealer plates are just as bland and ugly yet not nearly as cheap as the EV plates. They made these EV plates bland because some dumb-ss without any thought or creativity in the SOS office did so just because. How much would it have cost for a basic design for an EV plate, and to then manufacture them, like other states have done? Likely not millions and millions.... Certainly not an overly significant cost issue. Or perhaps it was a downstate GOP decision? ...Yeah we'll make an EV plate because the legislature ordered them produced, but we certainly don't have to make them desireable.... Typical Springfield infighting.

Maybe the owner of plate #1 EL had something to do with it ... (John Cullerton -- IL Senate President -- and yes, that's a Tesla S sedan)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/9152560726/in/set-72157634359923648

Maybe the owner of plate #1 EL had something to do with it ... (John Cullerton -- IL Senate President -- and yes, that's a Tesla S sedan)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/9152560726/in/set-72157634359923648

See http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient/news/chi-illinois-supercharging-network-20130627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cullerton is a Dem and apparently he was swayed by the new Tesla's range to buy into EVs and chargers.

I'm going to contact his office and see what he thinks about making the plate a tad nicer in aesthetics.

hyperlexis said:

You would rather have a background of a belching coal fired power plant..or a reactor leaking radio active fluid into the rivers..or a fracking operation in the Dakota's wrecking the roads and ground water..or high voltage lines marching across the states..???

How about something "clean," like the plates we now have. Like the car..."No Emissions."

Personally, I like the EL plates. No BS graphics. Just clean. Black on white. Big letters. Easy to see and read. Love the EL. Hope they don't change it.

My 2 cents.

Back