CRLeafSL
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 019044

Re: Other Leafs in Iowa?

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:52 pm

There must be plenty of them in CR area by now. Last time I wanted to charge at New Bo market both places were used by Leafs! I had to wait few hours before I could go home :-)

I don't know if I would say plenty. I know of 5 for sure, but I don't see too many of them around. New Boo Market always is full since that's really the only place to charge on the SE side of the city. I might have been one of them you were waiting on since I have charged there before. If I was, sorry.

CRLeafSL

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:30 am

Iowa has been quiet for a while now. Anyone new in Iowa? How are the other Leaf's making it through these sub arctic temps we have been hammered with lately? Mine hasn't fared too well if you have seen my other posts. This was an experiment therefore that's why I leased it, but also a learning experiment. The Leaf is not for me. I like electric cars, but won't lease or buy another one unless it gets a minimum of 200 miles (real world, not what the manufacturer says it will get) and has a TMS on it. I won't even look at one without a TMS.

IraqiInvaderGnr
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404138

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:43 am

Thankfully because of this forum I was prepared for the worst before buying and so far what people have said on here is spot on. During the coldest stretch I was still able to go 50 miles on a charge with 20% left. Now I'm not going to lie I don't use heat (other than preheat) and I defrost using fan only. Yesterday with temps hitting 60°F k arrived home with 37% soc left. Summer range will be nice but summer degradation is what I fear.
2013 SL Silver Manufactured 02-13 Purchased 04-13
Top Gids 295 miles 7-25-13 6,700
AHr 62.73 Health 95.01% Gids 272 miles as of 9-8-14 28,287

:) Truck driver that dreams of a day when he's behind the wheel of a Electric 18 wheeler :)

BsLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2014

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 pm

I just got a the '13 S two weeks ago. Love it so far but still getting used to the GOM. I drove to work On 80 (about 11 miles from home) in the -23 degree weather. That went ok. But then tried to go to Jordan Creek and I turned around halfway there because with the cold, I wouldn't have made it. Wish they would have chargers in West Des Moines. Who would have thought WDM would not have EV chargers??

CRLeafSL

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 pm

You would think they would especially around Jordan Creek. That's a very nice mall with I'm sure alot of traffic including EV's. Maybe they will eventually put one up somewhere around there. But then again, I don't think Iowa is there prime market for EV's even though I am seeing more of them over here in Cedar Rapids where I am.

benjaminoakes

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm not currently a Leaf owner, but I'm considering getting one to replace our 2003 model-year car. I'm really curious to hear how you feel about driving your Leaf in Iowa!

After I started researching some plug-in cars, I was happy to see a number of them in Iowa City in just a week or two. I can report at least 1 Tesla Model S, at least 1 Chevy Volt, and at least 2 Nissan Leafs (different colors). I assume all of them live somewhere nearby, since I've seen them more than once.

On to my questions. Answers to any or all of them are appreciated!

* Would you recommend a Leaf for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area?
* How bad is winter driving in Iowa? Average range?
* Have you had any problems getting your Leaf serviced at local dealers or 3rd parties?
* What's the futhest you've traveled from home in your Leaf? Have you ever run out of juice?
* How do you feel about public charging in Iowa?
* Any good/bad things about owning an EV in Iowa? (I read something about lower registration rates.)

I keep looking at the Leaf and thinking that it would fit 90-95% of our uses. The problem is, of course, the range. We only have 1 car right now, and I don't want to own a 2nd unless we really need it. Until the batteries are better and there are Level 3 chargers in Iowa, it sounds like we'd have to borrow (or even rent) a car once or twice a year. That's okay, I guess... but certainly not ideal.

I still can't tell if I'm crazy for considering a Leaf, but ever since the GM EV1 in the 1990s, I've thought it would be worth supporting EVs just so the situation would get better... otherwise the charging infrastructure here won't ever take off.

CRLeafSL

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello Benjaminoakes. I will try to answer some of your questions, but I'll tell you up front I'm probably not the best person to be asking cause I think the Leaf has alot of downfalls. It's a great car, but needs alot more range, and an active TMS (Thermal Management System aka Liquid heating/cooling).

Would I recommend it? During the Summer months Certainly. The car does great on range when it's warm out. In the Winter time, no way. I do have a 2012 so I don't have the Heat Pump which is supposed to be more efficient. I have a post on here where I was having problems with mine in the Winter time. Dealer couldn't find anything of course.

How bad is Winter range? Well that's an open ended question. City? Highway? I would say 40 to 50 miles when new is a good estimate but that's city driving mostly and using the heater to keep you nice and toasty (again remember 2012 so no Heat Pump). Probably better in the 2013 + range.

I haven't had any problems with my dealer, but since I've Leased back in February of 2013, my car has only been back to the dealer twice. First time was for some updates Nissan came out with and the second time was when I was having all the troubles when the temp dropped down to like -25 degrees actual temp. They also did my annual battery check at the same time.

The furthest I have ventured myself is just down to Iowa City and back from Cedar Rapids. I think the round trip was like a hare over 50 miles give/take so no I haven't ever ran it out. The furthest I've taken mine down to is Low Battery warning. There is another Leaf owner in West Iowa that took his on a road trip around Christmas time so it was cold and he went quite a ways.

Public charging in Iowa is few and far between. We have like 6 or 7 public chargers in Cedar Rapids, but then Nothing till you get to Waterloo or Iowa City. Nothing in between. Same to Des Moines. No charging really following 30 or 80 so that's a risky stretch that I'm not willing to try.

If you lease a Leaf your plates in Iowa are $25 per Year, doesn't matter what year leaf you have. Now I've been told by the DMV that if I purchase the vehicle, then the plates will be based off the purchase price of the vehicle. Mine's Leased so I pay $25 per year. As far as a Leaf in Iowa again love it in the Summer time, hate it in the Winter. I think it would be better though if the battery was heated again a TMS system.

Those are my thoughts.

BsLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2014

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm

I live in ankeny, work in Des moines. Love the car! But I feel comfortable with the range because I have a 2nd car for long range trips; such as going to Iowa city, Omaha, etc. I haven't tried to go to Indianola or Ames from Ankeny, but it could be doable if I don't take the interstate. Happy with it for sure. Wish Des Moines (downtown), Jordan Creek would have charging stations.

CRLeafSL

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I have another vehicle too thank god because there's many times I have to use it cause the range is so terrible in the Leaf. It's my work car which I live 3 miles from my work so round trip is like 6 miles. No issue there. However most of our other usage falls on our other car. I'm just saying that a $25,000-$30,000 car is pretty high to be considered a second vehicle. If I'm spending that on a car, I should be able to jump into it and go wherever I choose whenever I want. The Leaf can't do that. That's why I'm saying the electric drive is great and it's a fun car to drive, but it really needs to go about 3 times the distance that it currently can for the price the car is. Battery technology really needs a major boost and in a hurry. Also with having experience now in cold weather, I will not lease or purchase another electric vehicle without a TMS. That was Nissan's biggest mistake and they still won't add it. I don't care what battery chemistry they choose, it still needs a TMS to cool it in the summer and heat it in the winter. I will not go without it again.

benjaminoakes

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like the biggest issues are winter driving and using it as an only vehicle, as I was suspecting. I'm still considering purchasing a Leaf, but it sounds like waiting would be for the best unless our short-range driving increases significantly.

Return to “Central USA”