Charging Stations at Sawyer Point in Cincinnati

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Article & story in the link below. Progress is SLOW, but seems to be happening. My question is whether anyone has parked at these chargers during a Reds game? If so, what is the parking fee? It is far enough away that the increase above the usual $4 per day should not be significant, but close enough that the walk to the stadium is pretty easy (5 min. or so).

I have a call in to the folks that run the parking. If I hear back from them, I will post below.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/local_news/electric-car-stations-unveiled-at-sawyer-point_8402242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I heard back from the parking folks.

A - the 4 free passes have been distributed
B - parking during Reds games is $5
C - signage is in place on spots to avoid being ICED
D - 1 regular, daily user (prolly works downtown and walks up) and fairly infrequent use beyond that

I have used this charging station. Someone cut or ripped off one of the cables, leaving only three. When I got there, there were two Volts and one Leaf plugged in. I came back at lunchtime and unplugged the Leaf that was apparently fully charged or unlocked.

I couldn't get the think to work. I tracked down park personnel who rebooted the system. It runs on Windows XP. You can barely see the screens in the bright sun.

BTW, I parked in the Westin Hotel parking lot last week. They have a dedicated EV parking space. I plugged in my Leaf with Level 1. Of course, it costs $15 to park in the Westin all day.

My wife works downtown and has a parking pass for the Westin garage near Fountain Square, so I always use that when I go downtown. I should make a mental note to try Sawyer Point next time I go to a Reds or Cyclones game, but it sounds like the chargers (I believe there are 4 of them? I didn't read the article) are getting some use, which is a good thing, but a bad thing if I drive down with the intent to use them and they are full.

Also I should mention that I wrote an email to Newport on the Levee about installing some chargers. They responded pretty quickly saying it is something they will consider but I was pretty much the first one to bring it up. Maybe a few others on here can offer the same suggestion to them and get the ball rolling a bit more.

loomis2 said:
Also I should mention that I wrote an email to Newport on the Levee about installing some chargers. They responded pretty quickly saying it is something they will consider but I was pretty much the first one to bring it up. Maybe a few others on here can offer the same suggestion to them and get the ball rolling a bit more.

A follow up E-mail confirming that it is OK to plug into any of their existing L1 120v plugs (there are numerous) might be worth doing. I see it on PlugShare and have wondered if the use was authorized. It is 5 minutes from my house, so doesn't come up much for me.

loomis2 said:
My wife works downtown and has a parking pass for the Westin garage near Fountain Square, so I always use that when I go downtown. I should make a mental note to try Sawyer Point next time I go to a Reds or Cyclones game, but it sounds like the chargers (I believe there are 4 of them? I didn't read the article) are getting some use, which is a good thing, but a bad thing if I drive down with the intent to use them and they are full.

I work in the Westin U.S. Bank Tower in downtown Cincinnati and occasionally park there. They offer two dedicated EV parking spaces with Level 1 charging. Sometimes I park at Sawyer Point and use the Level 2 charging, but it is a one mile walk each way to work. I don't normally need a charge for my 65 mile round trip commute, but if I have plans after work or a doctor appointment, it's nice to have options.

BTW, there is also free Level 2 charging the Cincinnati Premium Outlet Mall in Monroe at exit 29 off I-75. Charge while you shop.

See? At least one outlet mall gets it. I have been saying that the outlet mall right between Cinci and Columbus should have them installed. They could get people from both cities.

My wife parks in the Westin garage, but I haven't seen those two ev spots you mentioned. We only have a 30 mile round trip so it really isn;t that big of a deal for us anyway.

loomis2 said:
See? At least one outlet mall gets it. I have been saying that the outlet mall right between Cinci and Columbus should have them installed. They could get people from both cities.

My wife parks in the Westin garage, but I haven't seen those two ev spots you mentioned. We only have a 30 mile round trip so it really isn;t that big of a deal for us anyway.

One of the dedicated EV parking spots is right next to the booth as you exit. The other one is in the third row... the first parking space in the corner before the valet parking. There's a sign on the wall, but the outlet is not currently working.

Yesterday as I was leaving, the attendant told me the Electric Vehicles park for free. He said just stop by the booth and give them your ticket and you park for free. My office is in this building, soooooo, I'll be parking here from now on.

Say hello when you're there. I have the Red SL with 100% Electric license plate frame from mynissanleaf.com

I have some bad news for you guys over these stations in Sawyer Point. Someone has vandalized both the plugs off the first dual EVSE. Saw the negative comment and photo on plugshare. This stuff just makes me sick. Felon scrappers just running around ripping everyone off, not to mention that this makes it 2 less EVSE's for every EV'er in Downtown Cincinnati harder to get around here. Hundreds in damages for 20 dollars in wires... Ugh...

Its already hard enough here in Cincinnati to find any decent public EVSE's.

Raycreed said:
I have some bad news for you guys over these stations in Sawyer Point. Someone has vandalized both the plugs off the first dual EVSE. Saw the negative comment and photo on plugshare. This stuff just makes me sick. Felon scrappers just running around ripping everyone off, not to mention that this makes it 2 less EVSE's for every EV'er in Downtown Cincinnati harder to get around here. Hundreds in damages for 20 dollars in wires... Ugh...

Its already hard enough here in Cincinnati to find any decent public EVSE's.

Booo!!! Hope there are surveillance cameras and they catch those who did it.

has anyone gone down to city hall to get their "park at the meters for free" sticker?
I am going down after work tomorrow to get mine

Kubla said:
has anyone gone down to city hall to get their "park at the meters for free" sticker?

How'd it go? I printed off the form and info to do that but I'm waiting until I have my license plate (just got my Leaf). Looking forward to it as I got to tons of meetings downtown and free meter parking would be great!

blueblob06 said:
Kubla said:

How'd it go? I printed off the form and info to do that but I'm waiting until I have my license plate (just got my Leaf). Looking forward to it as I got to tons of meetings downtown and free meter parking would be great!

Just went to City Hall today and got my sticker. Just took 5 minutes. I can park for free at any meter within City of Cincinnati! Woohoo!

Back