$2,500 rebate for Texas residents?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This appears to be new. Does anyone have any idea of how to get this rebate?

Qualified AFVs purchased on or after September 1, 2013, may be eligible for a rebate of $2,500 to assist with the incremental vehicle cost. For the purpose of this incentive, AFVs include compressed natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,600 pounds (lbs.) or less, as well as electric vehicles with a GVWR of 8,500 lbs. or less. Additional terms and conditions may apply. (Reference Senate Bill 1272, 2013, and Texas Statutes, Health and Safety Code 386)

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/TX/10832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's possible, but you need to get more details (they don't seem to be easily accessible--what a surprise).
There was something similar a couple of years ago when I bought my Leaf, but it had an income CAP (which disqualified me).

this is new to me, I will have to look into it. I am in Austin Texas, that saving could help me get a home charge 2,. I just bought my leaf 2 weeks ago

This is part of the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan (TERP). TERP money is grant money mostly for fleets on emission reduction. It says individuals can benefit, but I have never seen the money give to an individual (I guess if it was a one man business?). There are heavy requirements - an application needs to be sent before purchase and grant money is sent. Then you have to supply reports of the money's use and how it impacts air quality (actual real reporting, not fluf). I know this because my work gets some TERP funds.

In addition, I THINK it also refers to the Air Check Texas program - if I am not mistaken, this program uses TERP funds. That has a maximum return of $2,500 per vehicle purchase, but you have to meet specific criteria:

Lower income (its not low-income as designated by the HHS, but its low middle class) plus a you must turn in a vehicle that is either 10 years or older or has recently failed an air quality emissions test. To utilize this program you must apply for the funds before and then go to an authorized dealer (almost all are) and get the rebate applied to your purchase (there is also a nice clause that the dealer cannot change the value of the purchase to cover the cost of the rebate - they get it paid back in full usually within a month).

So either way, this money is not attainable for most individual people. And, either way, it involves up front work/applications before the funds are used.

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/airquality/terp/ld.html/#vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this is a new program starting in May this year. Can someone tell me if individuals can get this $2500 or is the same song and dance that we saw last year ? It is just not clear going through that website if a Leaf owner can apply and get a check in the mail.

well my previous post was wrong, this is a program, passed by the last legislature to give individuals $2,500 for the purchase of an alternative fuel vehicle (natural gas and electric only I think). As far as I knew, the program rules had not been finalized yet (why does it take so long? who knows.). I haven't heard any additional information over it yet, so they may not be finished with their rules.

How will all of it work, I have no clue. Only purchased after the law was past? currently driving? only after the rules were implemented - your guess is as good as mine. But I am sure once we have some concrete guidance everyone will be all over it.

I got some more information on this and its good news.

I spoke to a gentleman named Brain who is the spokesperson for this program. Accordingly the program details will be finalized on April 9th, and he expects that individuals can take advantage of upto $2500 per vehicle, and the details such as the list of cars, rebate amount for buying, leasing, lease duration etc.. will be posted on the same website sometime later in April, and the program is mostly likely to take effect for purchases from May and beyond. There is an application form - that will be made available in the website - that individuals have to apply and get approved - and the grant is limited and so it will be on a first come, first served basis.

Here's some more info:

http://insideevs.com/texans-to-soon-get-2500-rebate-on-plug-in-vehicle-purchases-tesla-doesnt-qualify/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone apply/get this rebate yet?

I just got my leaf this week and was putting together my app, but the dealer claims all I need is their purchase form and annoyed me when they didn't fill out the form on the page.
Probably going to have to go by again and watch them do this, but just thought I'd see if anyone has recently submitted with just the purchase form successfully.

Thanks

I applied for it and got the approval receipt today, actual payment will be within 90 days.. The forms are here:

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/airquality/terp/ld.html/#forms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should print out the form and ask the dealer to sign it using blue ink. All the financial numbers must not be blacked out and make sure you have all the supporting documents submitted. My approval took around 2 weeks.

Hope it helps.

cbdream99 said:
I applied for it and got the approval receipt today, actual payment will be within 90 days.. The forms are here:

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/airquality/terp/ld.html/#forms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should print out the form and ask the dealer to sign it using blue ink. All the financial numbers must not be blacked out and make sure you have all the supporting documents submitted. My approval took around 2 weeks.

Hope it helps.

You were a big help. Thanks for the "heads up"!

I leased a base 2015 S yesterday: 36 months, 12K miles/yr for $200/month. I put down a total of $1875, which is the rebate I will be receiving from the state of Texas. I printed out the forms and took them with me and educated the dealer about the program.

billg said:
cbdream99 said:

Hope it helps.

You were a big help. Thanks for the "heads up"!

I leased a base 2015 S yesterday: 36 months, 12K miles/yr for $200/month. I put down a total of $1875, which is the rebate I will be receiving from the state of Texas. I printed out the forms and took them with me and educated the dealer about the program.

Update: It took six weeks to get the confirmation from the state that I qualified for the rebate. Two weeks later (yesterday) I received the check. So 8 weeks from putting up the $1875 for the lease, I got the money back. :D

Dumb question

Is this $2,500 rebate taxable?

Second dumber question

Is this $2,500 rebate seperate than the $7,500 federal rebate?

Super dumb question

Does any of these rebates applicable to used evs?

misterno said:
Dumb question

Second dumber question

Super dumb question

1 - Not so dumb. I'm not planning to recognize my rebate as income, and several FAQs say that rebates in other states aren't taxable. However, if I receive a 1099 from the state of Texas, I guess I'll deal with that then.

2 - State rebate is unrelated to federal tax credit. Remember federal tax credit is only available if you purchase (not lease) and also only if you have federal tax liability of that amount or more. If your tax liability is $5,000 that is the maximum federal tax credit you'll receive.

3 - Both are only available to first purchaser (or lessee for state rebate) of a new vehicle. A demo that has a lot of miles on it, but hasn't been titled previously would qualify.

From the link listed above (written to exclude Teslas from the program):

Only new electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles purchased or leased from a dealer or leasing
company licensed to sell or lease new vehicles in Texas may qualify. Vehicles purchased or
leased directly from the manufacturer or from an out-of-state dealer or leasing company will not
be eligible. The LDPLI program is available statewide.

billg said:
misterno said:
Dumb question

Second dumber question

Super dumb question

1 - Not so dumb. I'm not planning to recognize my rebate as income, and several FAQs say that rebates in other states aren't taxable. However, if I receive a 1099 from the state of Texas, I guess I'll deal with that then.

2 - State rebate is unrelated to federal tax credit. Remember federal tax credit is only available if you purchase (not lease) and also only if you have federal tax liability of that amount or more. If your tax liability is $5,000 that is the maximum federal tax credit you'll receive.

3 - Both are only available to first purchaser (or lessee for state rebate) of a new vehicle. A demo that has a lot of miles on it, but hasn't been titled previously would qualify.

From the link listed above (written to exclude Teslas from the program):

Only new electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles purchased or leased from a dealer or leasing
company licensed to sell or lease new vehicles in Texas may qualify. Vehicles purchased or
leased directly from the manufacturer or from an out-of-state dealer or leasing company will not
be eligible. The LDPLI program is available statewide.

Assuming I am in TX and I have more than $7,500 tax liability then it is like total 10K deduction in price?

woow

Now this is unbelievable

I guess I have to look into buying Leaf more diligently

Thanks

misterno said:
Assuming I am in TX and I have more than $7,500 tax liability then it is like total 10K deduction in price?
That's true if you are buying (not leasing). In addition, you should be able to negotiate about 10% off of MSRP, and Nissan is offering a $3,500 manufacturer's rebate to purchasers. That would make the total reduction from MSRP between $16k and $17k. About half price with all incentives and dealer discounts!

ps - How about including your location in your profile so we don't have to assume?

billg said:
misterno said:
That's true if you are buying (not leasing). In addition, you should be able to negotiate about 10% off of MSRP, and Nissan is offering a $3,500 manufacturer's rebate to purchasers. That would make the total reduction from MSRP between $16k and $17k. About half price with all incentives and dealer discounts!

ps - How about including your location in your profile so we don't have to assume?

I am in Houston, TX

I just test drove a LEAF 2 days ago and loved it but the salesman did not mention neither 2,500 TX rebate or $3,500 Nissan rebate

He only knew the $7,500 that is it

so help me here...

misterno said:
I just test drove a LEAF 2 days ago and loved it but the salesman did not mention neither 2,500 TX rebate or $3,500 Nissan rebate

He only knew the $7,500 that is it

so help me here...
Have you looked at the link in the previous posts about the Texas rebate? If not, please do so.

Have you done an internet search for manufacturer's rebate? I just did and found this page:
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/...e=200700591&irr_section=customer_rebates_irr.

Don't expect the Nissan salesman to be your best friend. Help yourself.

Back