Driving from Houston to Dallas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I just posted this question except we're coming from the other way. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.

You should definitely try and post your experience. I would love to do Austin to Dallas and have been planning that for a while. I know there is a QC in south Dallas, and according to plugshare there are a couple in north Houston. Your problem looks to be the in between part.

I've examined this possibility many times. EVGO has said they will eventually install DC fast chargers along I35 and I45 to make these trips possible. I've looked into the Ft.Worth to Austin trip many times and it can be done. There are enough L2 stations to make it possible. If your leaf has the upgraded 6.6Kw charger, this may very well be feasible. However, with a standard Leaf it would take nearly an entire day to make the trip due to the long charging times. Assuming you could QC at the edge of each metro area, you'd need to recharge 2 to 3 times along the way. With the 6.6Kwh charger you could expect to devote 8-12 hours of charging. With the standard 3.3Kw charger, you'd need to double that.

Here is the route I want to take. This is approximately from my house to my parents' house. All I have to do is convince my wife that we should take a trip that usually requires 3-3.5 hours in 8-10. My concern is my B to C leg might be too long, 87.6 miles at highway/near highway speeds.

Boourns said:
Here is the route I want to take. This is approximately from my house to my parents' house. All I have to do is convince my wife that we should take a trip that usually requires 3-3.5 hours in 8-10. My concern is my B to C leg might be too long, 87.6 miles at highway/near highway speeds.

Ouch! What makes it worse is that you are trying to go all the way to McKinney.

Boourns said:
All I have to do is convince my wife that we should take a trip that usually requires 3-3.5 hours in 8-10. My concern is my B to C leg might be too long, 87.6 miles at highway/near highway speeds.

Not a good first long trip with the LEAF, especially with a spouse.

Use the vehicule for more manageable trips first. After time, your wife will love the LEAF and be more inclined to take it on longer trips.

Hopefully, by then there will be quick charge stations along your route.

At first it was going to be me + wife + dog, but I thought it would be too long a trip for the dog. Maybe my marriage would be better off if I leave the wife at home and take the pup. :lol:

Boourns said:
Maybe my marriage would be better off if I leave the wife at home and take the pup. :lol:

Yes, and the pup will enjoy the long breaks for walks. I have to admit, I just read the title and thought you were going from Ft Worth to Houston.

Your actual route is much more manageable, but still at least one leg too long for a first trip with family. I like your enthusiasm, though.

Too bad there's not a quick charger in Waco, that would make a huge difference.

I didn't mean to but ended up hijacking the OP's thread. He is thinking of going from Houston to Dallas. The problem with 45 is that there aren't even L2 EVSEs available. He may have to at some point get to 35 to make use of L2 charging stations in Waco, Temple, etc.

There is a Tesla Supercharger now in Waco, right next to Colin St. Bakery. That would be great.

Back