DC/QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

The Autobarn in Evanston just had a DC/QC charger delivered…soon to be installed.

Stay tuned for the where and the how.

Great folks there.

Sorry to be a grumpy old man, but I don't like your thread title. A bunch of people here are calling Quick Chargers "Level 3" or "L3" but they are not!

Level 3 is a term created by the SAE -- you know, the folks that are fighting the CHAdeMO standard that Nissans and other Asian cars use. The SAE says Level 3 applies to both AC and DC charging at a higher rate than currently exists. Even their "Frankenplug" does not qualify as a Level 3 charging system component. Take a look at their definition: http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf
Note that DC Level 3 requires 0% to 80% charging in less than 10 minutes.

So, please, if you want to talk about fast DC charging for a LEAF, call it DC Quick Charge, or DC/QC or QC.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Sorry to be a grumpy old man, but I don't like your thread title. A bunch of people here are calling Quick Chargers "Level 3" or "L3" but they are not!

Level 3 is a term created by the SAE -- you know, the folks that are fighting the CHAdeMO standard that Nissans and other Asian cars use. The SAE says Level 3 applies to both AC and DC charging at a higher rate than currently exists. Even their "Frankenplug" does not qualify as a Level 3 charging system component. Take a look at their definition: http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf
Note that DC Level 3 requires 0% to 80% charging in less than 10 minutes.

So, please, if you want to talk about fast DC charging for a LEAF, call it DC Quick Charge, or DC/QC or QC.

Ray
Had no idea…thanks for the info.

Would change the heading if I knew how.

Perhaps some can do that.

There's nothing incorrect about OP referring to DC quick charging as "Level 3". CARB classified the levels of charging way back in 2001 (http://www.arb.ca.gov/board/books/010628/01-5-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and under that classification, Level 3 includes any off-board DC charging system that is capable of recharging at least 50% of the capacity of a battery pack in no more than 30 minutes.

AFAIK, the SAE classification (not just the standard, but the classification of "Level 3" itself) isn't even finalized to this date.

Congrats! Wish somebody would install 3 or 4 on the Garden State Parkway!

The other day was the first time I had to wait around to charge my LEAF. I went to a client that was 61 miles away, had 31% battery left when I arrived at the Nissan Dealer that is 3/4 of mile from their office. I had one hour of work to do but needed to hang out for 3 to wait for my car to be charged enough to get home. I walked to starbucks, played some words with friends, had lunch.

Wish there was a QC Level 3 DC Big connector 80% in 20 mins EVSE (i'm so confused I don't know what to call it anymore) on the road going home.

greengate said:
The Autobarn in Evanston just had a DC/QC charger delivered…soon to be installed.

Stay tuned for the where and the how.

Great folks there.

Is it available to anyone or just those who purchased from there?

I had a bad experience trying to purchase from them.

You had a bad experience buying what from who?

r1234567 said:
Is it available to anyone or just those who purchased from there?

I had a bad experience trying to purchase from them.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking if the QC was for any Leaf owner or just those who purchased from them.

I contacted Autobarn of Evanston when I was purchasing my Leaf but they wouldn't respond to my inquires so I bought from a different dealer in the area (Rosen Nissan).

r1234567 said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking if the QC was for any Leaf owner or just those who purchased from them.

I contacted Autobarn of Evanston when I was purchasing my Leaf but they wouldn't respond to my inquires so I bought from a different dealer in the area (Rosen Nissan).

Sorry you had a bad experience..we PM'd about this..so for the board, I'll just say that the folks at The Nissan Autobarn in Evanston are really standup folks, and like life, sometimes it just doesn't go our way and for what reason, that's always the question mark!!

As soon as I know about who has access, I'll post it here.

kubel said:
There's nothing incorrect about OP referring to DC quick charging as "Level 3". CARB classified the levels of charging way back in 2001 (http://www.arb.ca.gov/board/books/010628/01-5-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and under that classification, Level 3 includes any off-board DC charging system that is capable of recharging at least 50% of the capacity of a battery pack in no more than 30 minutes.
Thank you for pointing to this. However, I must say that
  • It applies only to California.
  • It is a very old document describing usage in the 1990's, at a point when CARB was pushing for a new J1772 standard, but SAE had not yet adopted one.
  • Even it says that Level 3 must be able to charge 50% in 10 minutes (not the 30 minutes you thought it was).

Note that this CARB staff recommendation says
SAE Recommended Practices for Conductive Charging (J1772 adopted October 1996) defines Level 3 conductive charging as a direct current connected charging method with an off-board charger at any power level. It does not require or specify the minimum power capacity of a Level 3 charger, and Level 3 chargers may have lower power capacity than Level 2 chargers.
Clearly the SAE has changed that definition, as the chart I pointed to shows. I see indications in more recent reports, like this one, that CARB is backing away from the Level 1/2/3 terminology. I really don't think we should base our usage on an obviously obsolete document which in turn was based on another obsolete document.

Ray

Do you work for Autobarn of Evanston?

You sent me a PM telling me to contact the sales manager who is the gentleman who ignored my email from his co-worker. Autobarn didn't want my business so I went to Rosen.

When I was shopping for my Leaf the two local Nissan dealers had none in stock but they still responded to calls and email. I had to go a Nissan dealer 26 miles away to buy my Leaf. Had every option except for the Bose/4way Camera. Only thing I regret is the lack of the 4way cam. Oh well. I needed a car and I bought it. No time to wait to 2 weeks for my local dealer to get one in stock.

r1234567 said:
Do you work for Autobarn of Evanston?

You sent me a PM telling me to contact the sales manager who is the gentleman who ignored my email from his co-worker. Autobarn didn't want my business so I went to Rosen.

No, I don't work for them.

Is it Michael you are referring to as the sales manager?

If so, he no longer is with them. (Maybe that's why, although I had a very good experience with him.)

The CFO sent my email to Richard who then never replied.

I found your posts a little over the top in your enthusiasm for them. I'm glad you had a good experience and my opinion about them could be swayed if they let me use their QC. After the attitude I received from M'Lady, I know I would never go there.

Back