rodhugo
Delivery Date: 09 Feb 2014

Why no Chademo in Central Texas?

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:05 am

Anyone have an idea when central Texas (Austin/San Antonio) is getting Chademo chargers? I really want to purchase a Leaf but without the DC chargers it makes trips between Austin and SA a bit tight.

EdmondLeaf

Re: Why no Chademo in Central Texas?

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:05 am

You are really brave person, 80 miles with what kind of speed 75mph? I am sure you familiar with range chart http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:49 am

For the same reason TX hasn't had any EV rebate/credits (although that may be changing): it's a "big oil" state! Why would they want to promote anyone NOT drinking the "Texas Tea" :P
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

rodhugo

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:43 am

I had not heard of Texas thinking about launching a rebate plan. Can you point me to the details?

Thanks

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:14 am

Most of our Chademo chargers around here are installed by EVGO, which is privately funded. I'm honestly not sure why Austin has been left out. It'd be nice if at least Nissan could step in and provide a few.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

Pipcecil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 am

rodhugo wrote:I had not heard of Texas thinking about launching a rebate plan. Can you point me to the details?

Thanks

Texas legistlature passed it this last session, but the final "rules" have not been written so its not avialable yet (its $2,500). How its distributed, is it retroactive, what vehicles qualify (i.e. do plug ins count?), is there other limitations, I have no clue. Until the rules are written all that is known is $2,500 per purchase with a max of 3.8 million spent (per year I believe), with the program ending August 31, 2015 (unless its extended).

adric22 wrote:Most of our Chademo chargers around here are installed by EVGO, which is privately funded. I'm honestly not sure why Austin has been left out. It'd be nice if at least Nissan could step in and provide a few.

It probably has to do with electric "turf war". eVgo is an NRG company (reliant energy, etc.). NRG is big in Houston and DFW since most of the areas have the provider option. Austin is supplied with Austin Energy and San Antonio is CPS. Neither have the power to choose option (and therefore NRG is non-existant theree). I am betting, because of this, NRG can't (or won't?) build units in these areas. In fact, if you notice, Austin and San Antonio have a BUNCH of ChargePoint stations, but almost no Blink units (opposite of the rest of the state). Thats because Austin Energy and CPS made a deal with ChargePoint and the stations are implemented through the energy company. Its almost like cable companies, why move into an area to "compete" with someone when you can just focus on your areas or claiming areas without anything yet.

As for the Nissan Dealerships? I don't know what the deciding factor for them to install DC Fast chargers. It seemed they were almost avoiding Texas - maybe because NRG has dominance here? There is most likely A LOT more going on in the background than we know of.
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

Joshcom88
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2014
Leaf Number: 2013

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 am

I have a LEAF & live in San Antonio. I made it to 6th street in Austin from my house but had about 8% battery power. I left during rush hour and was only doing about 25-35 around 1604/35 area. I plugged in at whole foods on 6th street in Austin. I have been writing emails asking both Nissan of San Marcos and Charge Point to add Chademo chargers along the I-35 corridor. Town North Nissan in Austin says that they will have a working Chademo charger by Saturday February 22, 2014. It remains to be seen if they meet that deadline or not. I certainly hope so because it would allow us to quick charge when arriving from San Antonio. I have also emailed Buc-ee's in New Braunfels to see if they have plans on installing a Chademo charger in that HUGE gas station of theirs. No reply so far. We need Chademo Chargers in South Central Texas.

rodhugo

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. :-).

I will be glad to send some emails as well. Do you mind sharing the places and email addresses to whom you sent. I will pile-on.

Joshcom88
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2014
Leaf Number: 2013

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 am

This weekend I discovered a car show which happens every Saturday here in San Antonio at the Texaco on 151 & Potranco. I took advantage of the opportunity and parked my LEAF alongside other vehicles to educate people about EV’s and raise awareness. I was the only EV there but surprisingly drew more attention than I expected. This car show is every Saturday and I’d like to invite other EV drivers to bring their cars out to show, Teslas, LEAFs, RAV4 EV’s both classic and new, Mitsubishi iMEVs, Ford Focus Electrics anyone with a plug. I think it would be exciting to show that we are just as proud of our vehicles as those who do classic restorations or heavy modifications and educate people who have no idea this technology exists. Let me know if anyone with a plug can come out and join me.

Last edited by Joshcom88 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 am

Joshcom88 wrote:This weekend I discovered a car show which happens every Saturday at the Texaco on 151 & Potranco.

Do you realize we have NO idea where this is (TX is a big place) :?: You have no location info in your profile, so I can't even guess :!:
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Central USA”