Need some info from St. Louis people please.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruckerDave

I'm thinking about a Leaf purchase. I have a 77-80 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. I live up north in Staunton,IL and work off Hall Street in St. Louis. I was driving a Crown Victoria costing me 67.00 a week in gas. I hit a deer so I'm in my backup which is a worn out Ford Escape costing me 41.00 a week. If my figures from reading posts on here are right a Leaf would run me 11.50 a week. I checked with insurance and it would only be 10 bucks more than I'm paying now. I already have 220V ran in a couple places in my garage and can wire up anything myself. My main concern is I don't have a way to charge at work. I work a 12 hour shift so even if I used a 120V charge it would be plenty to get me back home. I may be able to talk the company I work for to either leave me a heavy duty extension cord out to hook to or work something out to have a all weather outlet installed. Its all 55-65 MPH from the time I leave my house till I hit Riverview at I-270. So I ask does this look like it would be a good commuter for me? I see they MSRP for 29,000+. Thats quite steep for me. Not including the federal rebate what do you thing I could drive off the lot with one for? I would have to buy and not lease cause I put on 20,000+ a year just going to work. So what do you all think?

keydiver said:
I wouldn't attempt this without a GUARATEED way to charge at work.

Yes I agree. On pretty much flat interstate doing only 60 or 65 if you're running the air conditioner about how far can you typically get on a full charge? Or for that matter a little bit of heat in the winter?

TruckerDave said:
keydiver said:
I wouldn't attempt this without a GUARATEED way to charge at work.

Yes I agree. On pretty much flat interstate doing only 60 or 65 if you're running the air conditioner about how far can you typically get on a full charge? Or for that matter a little bit of heat in the winter?

I know others will disagree with this but I tell people to count on being able to drive 50 miles year round. I believe this compensates for the cold and climate control. You should get much more than that outside of winter but 50 or less miles per charge is safe over 50 is risky.

Back