Dealer with a Consciousness

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

Look at this!!

What other dealer is stepping up to the plate to put there wallet where there mouth is?

Good on them...and thanks for going this additional step in caring for the environment.

Why would anyone choose to buy a Leaf from any other dealer?

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 170
Stoaty said:
Are you suggesting that the rest of the dealers are actually in a coma?

I'd say yes to that question given no evidence to the contrary.

But my view is limited, so please fill in the missing fields!!

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 144
This does not look like a dealer lot it looks like a sponsored advertising ploy not a good will gesture. If it is a dealership lot it still seems the same. Greenwashing and promoting sales. I would say the primary objective is to drive traffic to the dealer and I'm not so sure how green it is since we don't know the power source. If they handed out cans of food to the homeless I'm sure they would have the website printed on them and a free t **** with the same. Private sponsored charging (advertising) is simply an alternative model besides over priced per kw charges.

I'd rather see a dealership sponsor charging stations downtown than have more than one on the premises. Assuming that the sign is at an actual charging station...?

LeftieBiker said:
I'd rather see a dealership sponsor charging stations downtown than have more than one on the premises. Assuming that the sign is at an actual charging station...?
It's for real.

I took the picture today.

These two stations are in a public parking lot on Central Street in Evanston IL

Autobarn Evanston is one of the high-volume LEAF dealers in the US. They know the LEAF in depth and the have a lot of LEAF-promoting events. All power to them.

How do I know this, being in Colorado? Well, back when I was looking for our second LEAF, and there were none to be had in Colorado (during the lull between 2012 and 2013 availability) I called up a number of out-of-state dealers who advertised LEAFs nationally. I ended up buying from another dealer, but I got on the Autobarn mail list and have received frequent emails ever since. I wish we had as LEAF-conscious a dealer as this in Colorado.

This is good. I like it. The dealers are not waiting for Nissan or other charging companies, but putting their own charging stations in general parking spots is a great thing. If that serves a marketing purpose of driving more traffic and more EV sales, then more power to them.

We always complain how the dealers are slimy and such, but this is something to be applauded. Great job Autobarn Evanston

greengate said:
...Why would anyone choose to buy a Leaf from any other dealer?
... a cheaper offer?

(I'm not a qualified psychologist, it's just a wild shot in the dark!)

False conclusion. A car dealer pays for advertising and promotion through various means to get more business they they have a conscious? Perhaps if they supported charging and did not put their name on it. Supported funding to public charging without the ads. This is not to say they have a conscious but when it comes to car dealers that is a bit of a laugh. It's like saying BP cares about the Gulf because of all the propaganda they put on TV.

What are we talking about here? ;) :

conscious - aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings

conscience - the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action

The fact that we have to question peoples motives for going green is actually is a good thing. In fact, I think it's BETTER when people go green for reasons other than going green. It means you have a truly marketable product for the masses. When a greedy business installs an EVSE for the sole reason that it might make them more money, we should look at that as a bigger victory than them doing it because of environmental reasons.

And by the way, I think billboards are perhaps the best business model for paid EVSEs. No offense, but we aren't going to make the electrification of the automobile a success through any other method than capitalism. :twisted: That doesn't mean I don't think there's also room for the communist approach, like PlugShare.

'The planet' is not remotely in danger from us, or in need of saving. *We* are in danger and need saving - from us. A few 10's of thousand years after we die out, our impact will be unrecognisable, but it is moot anyway as there will be no one to observe that.

Money is the commoditisation of progress. If we do not progress we might as well go back to living off the forests, hunter-gatherers and all that. Some in the 'green movements' actually appear to say that would be best for us.

Technological human life on the planet intrinsically degrades the natural order of things, eg the resources, the inter species balances, habitats, etc..

It is nonsense to believe that any steps we take are 'sustainable'. All they do is 'extend' our time on this planet, not make it sustainable. We just use resources at a slower pace so there will be more generations of us before we end up back in the stone age.

Don't go getting fanciful ideas about what 'being green' means! Technologically based human life is unsustainable on this planet, but we can extend our time here, and make it cleaner while we're here, by several fold if we're careful and not too stupid.

donald said:
'The planet' is not remotely in danger from us, or in need of saving. *We* are in danger and need saving - from us. A few 10's of thousand years after we die out, our impact will be unrecognisable, but it is moot anyway as there will be no one to observe that.

Money is the commoditisation of progress. If we do not progress we might as well go back to living off the forests, hunter-gatherers and all that. Some in the 'green movements' actually appear to say that would be best for us.

Technological human life on the planet intrinsically degrades the natural order of things, eg the resources, the inter species balances, habitats, etc..

It is nonsense to believe that any steps we take are 'sustainable'. All they do is 'extend' our time on this planet, not make it sustainable. We just use resources at a slower pace so there will be more generations of us before we end up back in the stone age.

Don't go getting fanciful ideas about what 'being green' means! Technologically based human life is unsustainable on this planet, but we can extend our time here, and make it cleaner while we're here, by several fold if we're careful and not too stupid.

+1

dgpcolorado said:
greengate said:
+2 Well said, donald.

+3 yes, well said donald. But I didn't mean to open a door that goes off topic, sorry. If Autobarn Evanston and other dealers install stations as advertising, helping to "make it cleaner while we're here" surely that's not a bad thing?

But if you really want to go OT . . . Since the sun's demise several billion years from now will consume Earth anyway, is the end of our species such a big deal? Of course, we may yet spread out of this solar system, and our descendents could become increasingly cyborg, even downloading our minds into AI platforms, but I don't think you can blame Autobarn Evanston for that.

Back