Trouble in Pottawattamie County, IOWA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IraqiInvaderGnr

Last year I leased a Nissan Leaf from a dealership. I bought it outright in early December last year. I had to wait for the county to receive the paperwork from the dealership. They got it either the last week of the year or first week of this year. I updated the registration early January. March came and they said due to the incentive being cancelled my registration fee went from $25/year to ~$350/year. I just found out from the state that the incentive still applies as long as it was owned by me by January 1st, 2014. The county is claiming that it must be registered by January 1st, 2014 in order to qualify. This makes no sense since it has been registered since April 2013 in the county. I'm not sure about the rule on links here but if you search iowataxandtags you'll find it. Needless to say I'm debating a lawsuit but I have no clue where to start. I talked to the county treasurer herself yesterday and she said that she was going to talk to the state about this but I have my doubts that she will follow up due to this not being the first time that the county has done something like this to me.

I have some words about the revoking of the $25 ev license fee in IA but most are not appropriate to type so I'll go with ....stupid....short sighted....ethanol $$$$.....

As long as you have had the vehicle registered for a year prior to Jan 1 2014 the fee should be $25. You seem to be in a tough spot due to the late year purchase and registration. I guess I'd start with the Iowa DOT http://www.iowadot.gov/about.html#/contacts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know they do have an appeal process somewhere but I couldn't find it tonight.

This is from the
Sec. 162. REPEAL. Section 321.116, Code 2013, is repealed.

Sec. 163. APPLICABILITY — PRIOR ELECTRIC VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS.
1. Except as provided in subsection 2, the section of this division of this Act that repeals
section 321.116 applies to the registration of electric motor vehicles for registration years
beginning on or after January 1, 2014.
2. For an annual renewal of registration for an electric motor vehicle which was registered
to the same owner for a registration year beginning prior to January 1, 2014, the annual
registration fee shall be according to the terms of section 321.116, Code 2013.

We have formed a group in Iowa to promote the adoption of EVs in our state; EVIowa! Most of our owners are in eastern Iowa but we'd love to find more Leaf owners all over the state. We are holding an event this weekend on Sunday, Oct. 19 in the Iowa City area. We will be offering test rides in a Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S. Visit http://www.EVIowa.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more.

I hope to approach our legislature on measures to encourage wider adoption of EVs in Iowa. Iowa produces over 27% of our electricity from wind and it is still growing. Every EV in Iowa keeps fuel dollars in our local economy and supports sustainable jobs for Iowans. EVs are good for Iowa (and the U.S. too!).

Back