Who Killed the Electric Car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greengate said:
Will it be Illinois new Governor :shock:

Sorry, KS will lead the way as an EV killer first. KS legislature in an attempt to recapture "lost" road tax revenue proposed putting a meter on all public and private EVSE's to assess a tax for road revenue. One senator said it didn't matter if it was 1 vehicle or a million vehicles.

Except it does when the cost of administering and implementing exceeds the proceeds from the program. Oh, and KS and MO both get substantial road revenue from the general fund provided by income taxes.

sigh...KS bothers me sometimes.

ksnogas2112 said:
greengate said:
Will it be Illinois new Governor :shock:

Sorry, KS will lead the way as an EV killer first. KS legislature in an attempt to recapture "lost" road tax revenue proposed putting a meter on all public and private EVSE's to assess a tax for road revenue. One senator said it didn't matter if it was 1 vehicle or a million vehicles.

Except it does when the cost of administering and implementing exceeds the proceeds from the program. Oh, and KS and MO both get substantial road revenue from the general fund provided by income taxes.

sigh...KS bothers me sometimes.

Wow....

I don't think we have to worry about that every happeing, that is one seriously stupid idea. Ya it may work on public EVSE's, but home? The DIY EVSE market would grow, grey market EVSEs could be a thing.... Hey I'm in Canada maybe I could start up a used Canadian EVSE business LOL. That's what you get when politicians come up with an idea they know nothing about.... I should call NASA and give them my idea for a moon landing, it should probably work.

The government is just going to have to figure out that if electric vehicles get a huge market share they are going to have to move away from a use based tax system (ie how many gal of gas did you pump) to something like a a higher licence plate renewal fee, sure everyone will pay the same which doesn't sound fair to start but it's better than wasting money on an ineffective inefficient system to try to make sure it's based on actual road use. The only other 2 options I see that are simple and use based would be a millage tax based on your odo when you renew your plate or toll roads (oh god how I HATE tolls).

Back