Chargers Return to Whole Foods in Northbrook, Illinois

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

The level 2 chargers will be free courtesy of Whole Foods.

The Level 3 will be on your dime.

Attachments

• Alive Again.jpg
    Alive Again.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 108
  • New Guts.jpg
    New Guts.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 108
Almaggy said:
greengate said:

That's great news! Where is this located?
Northbrook, Illinois..(Willow and Waukegan Roads.)

I was also told that all of the Whole Foods chargers would be reinstated and free.

(Three days ago I sent letters to the Whole Foods CEO's, their District Manager and the property manager of the shopping center asking that they do something with the Level 2 chargers as their disconnection was causing them significant ill will in the EV community and to either reconnect them or take them out. Wish my action and letters resulted in this change, but unless they were psychic, I'm afraid not!!)

Those look like ChargePoint poles? I don't see the site listed on PlugShare nor on ChargePoint. Are they operational?

PlugShare tells me that the closest QC is 250 Miles :idea: Anyone got any tips for lobbying to get one installed?

kikngas said:
Those look like ChargePoint poles? I don't see the site listed on PlugShare nor on ChargePoint. Are they operational?

PlugShare tells me that the closest QC is 250 Miles :idea: Anyone got any tips for lobbying to get one installed?

Sorry kikngas, the Northbrook referred to here is a suburb of Chicago, not Rochester. I don't think there are any Whole Foods stores in Rochester either, come to think of it.
As for lobbying towards QC charging stations, I feel it would be a matter of getting more EV's on the map, and the infrastructure will follow.
With the current pricing structure on QC charging in Chicago, most of us prefer to charge at home anyway. Gas is cheaper per mile than commercial QC today. Those who pay to use now are willing to burn money to keep from burning gas. Get enough electrics on the road, and entrepreneurism will bring competition and proliferation. Example of proliferation: California. Unfortunately so far very little competition even there, but give it time to mature.

joewaters said:
Sorry kikngas, the Northbrook referred to here is a suburb of Chicago, not Rochester.

I know :cry:

joewaters said:
With the current pricing structure on QC charging in Chicago, most of us prefer to charge at home anyway.

I actually think this is the desirable price point. I just paid $.49 per kWh just for L2 (that's about 5x the cost of electricity in the area), to go beyond my range on the holiday. And thinking about it later, that's pretty "expensive" (on par with cost per mile for gas). But, at this point, I'm glad to pay it. It was the only charge location "along" my route (once I rerouted) that is truly within reach of my home, even in winter weather. So I'm glad to support it. And I am hopeful that I paid enough to keep it available over the long term. But I have not found a way to know how many others are using it, or locate an owner to offer a donation or a proposal to add more.

You can imagine what would happen if the QC were free. So, free is too cheap. I am assuming the price available is still low enough that, in a pinch, when you're a bit low and without a lot of time, you'd pay it just for the 10min. or so (wish they'd all standardize on pricing per kWh, but, esp. with the QCs it seems they like to price per "session") to relieve the doubts about getting the rest of your errands run and getting home. So this leaves it available to you for that one day a year that it simplifies your daily life, but also highly available for travelers (who are more willing to pay for the speed and faster continuation on their route, and whose only alternative is going to be public L2).

I started a new thread for the funding new locations :idea: idea.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18596&p=401527#p401497

What good are the chargers when they, as they usually are, blocked by non electric vehicles?

Does anyone know of an Illinois state law that makes this illegal?

Or would it even make a difference!!

Attachments

• law-order-traffic_warden-policemen-parking_violation-police_officer-traffic_violation-haan266_...jpg
    law-order-traffic_warden-policemen-parking_violation-police_officer-traffic_violation-haan266_...jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 49
greengate said:
What good are the chargers when they, as they usually are, blocked by non electric vehicles?

Does anyone know of an Illinois state law that makes this illegal?

Or would it even make a difference!![/quote

A lot of the time we drop by this whole foods, the spaces areopen. They had only started being taken once the chargers were bagged and discontinued. The other whole foods on cicero and peterson has them on the back wall so theyre always open

greengate said:
Almaggy said:
greengate said:

That's great news! Where is this located?
Northbrook, Illinois..(Willow and Waukegan Roads.)

I was also told that all of the Whole Foods chargers would be reinstated and free.

(Three days ago I sent letters to the Whole Foods CEO's, their District Manager and the property manager of the shopping center asking that they do something with the Level 2 chargers as their disconnection was causing them significant ill will in the EV community and to either reconnect them or take them out. Wish my action and letters resulted in this change, but unless they were psychic, I'm afraid not!!)

Do you mind sharing the letter and tactics you used to get the wholefoods to install the chargers in the first place. Would like to convince my local WF store to do the same!

I'm hoping they install charging stations in the parking lot of the new Whole Foods going up in Elmhurst. That would be great. Also the one near Hinsdale if there isn't some already (haven't been by there for awhile). I live in the NW 'burbs but going down Rt. 83, having a few stations if I need a bit of juice would be really nice.

Back