ICEING an EV SPACE about to Change!!??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

I wrote to my Illinois State Rep, Robin Gabel, (18th district,) asking that she institute a State law that would address this problem.

She replied that she is working on this.

I encourage you Illinois EV drivers to write to your Senator and Representative also as it has been shown that a law with penalties, followed by enforcement, puts a serious dent in this practice..as well as raising money for the towns that have accomplished this.

Reference the following; Google: Gas cars parked in one electric car spot earn Raleigh $27,000 a year.

All other considerations aside, you have to have a law enforcement body that is willing to enforce such a law... In Los Angeles, that is lacking...

TomT said:
All other considerations aside, you have to have a law enforcement body that is willing to enforce such a law... In Los Angeles, that is lacking...

If it's a revenue generator, like Raleigh, NC, I'd get on them about that.

What city isn't looking for more revenue?

The meter maids can take in far more from other infractions... And our police consider it beneath them to enforce such things... Thus, it is not a priority.

greengate said:
What city isn't looking for more revenue?

TomT said:

+1. we have had the law for years but don't know of one single incident of anyone being fined... I am sure there has to be at least one...

We had an issue here about a year ago..seems that they couldn't find 40K in the budget to continue to help some families with their real-estate taxes, so these people were going to be "left out in the cold." so to speak..and this is in a village that is quite wealthy and has a multi million dollar budget. Concerned citizens scraped up the funds and I went to the village manager and pointed out the ways they were not collecting revenue..cars were not ticketed or towed when left on the street impeding snow removal and street cleaning. Gold, right there and they failed to pick it up..well that changed as tickets are now applied when appropriate.

Get involved. You really can make a difference.

TomT said:
The meter maids can take in far more from other infractions... And our police consider it beneath them to enforce such things... Thus, it is not a priority.
There's an easy fix for that... possibly with unintended consequences.

When I lived in Houston they didn't want police spending their time writing parking tickets and ordering tow trucks, but they wanted parking ordinances enforced. So in typical Texan fashion they outsourced it to private enterprise. Any licensed tow truck operator was free to tow away any illegally parked car on public or private property, so long as there were clearly marked regulation no-parking signs. The tow truck operators kept a big slice of the revenue, fine plus towing and storage fees. So they had plenty of incentive to enforce the parking laws, and they got very familiar with all the locations with the worst illegal parking problems.

The unintended consequence was because there was no incentive for them to apply common sense judgment. So for example they would stake out parking lots of businesses open 8-6 which were next door to popular night spots. When someone couldn't find a space in the night spot's lot and parked in the empty lot next door the tow truck operators would watch from concealment until they went inside, and then quickly tow away the car to a distant storage lot. All correct by the letter of the law, but not at all with the spirit of the law serving any public benefit.

So authorizing tow trucks to remove cars parked at charging stations without charging could clear up the problem quickly. But great care would have to be taken to prevent them from towing away cars during the 5 minutes after the driver got a text message that charging was complete, and before he reached the charging station to move the car. You'd also have to make sure tow truck drivers didn't learn how to stop charging prematurely in order to tow.

funny-bad-parking-revenge-cars.jpg

walterbays said:
TomT said:
There's an easy fix for that... possibly with unintended consequences.

When I lived in Houston they didn't want police spending their time writing parking tickets and ordering tow trucks, but they wanted parking ordinances enforced. So in typical Texan fashion they outsourced it to private enterprise. Any licensed tow truck operator was free to tow away any illegally parked car on public or private property, so long as there were clearly marked regulation no-parking signs. The tow truck operators kept a big slice of the revenue, fine plus towing and storage fees. So they had plenty of incentive to enforce the parking laws, and they got very familiar with all the locations with the worst illegal parking problems.

The unintended consequence was because there was no incentive for them to apply common sense judgment. So for example they would stake out parking lots of businesses open 8-6 which were next door to popular night spots. When someone couldn't find a space in the night spot's lot and parked in the empty lot next door the tow truck operators would watch from concealment until they went inside, and then quickly tow away the car to a distant storage lot. All correct by the letter of the law, but not at all with the spirit of the law serving any public benefit.

So authorizing tow trucks to remove cars parked at charging stations without charging could clear up the problem quickly. But great care would have to be taken to prevent them from towing away cars during the 5 minutes after the driver got a text message that charging was complete, and before he reached the charging station to move the car. You'd also have to make sure tow truck drivers didn't learn how to stop charging prematurely in order to tow.

far be it for us to learn from this...

Back