L1/L2 EVSE Charger available for a Trade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshleaf

I am trying to do a Trade for my 2013 upgraded EVSE unit. I have 2 extension Cables for 120V and 1 for 240v.

5-15 to L6-30 Adapter - For charging on standard 120V outlets.
NEMA L6-30R (30A 240V Twist-Lock). 240V

I will take $200 OBO with the trade. PM me if interested.
I am in Chicago Western Suburbs. My LEAF is going Back to Nissan after End of Lease in First week of May 2015.

Does anyone know if the dealer is going to check if it's actually the one that came with the car? (In other words, if you return a 2012 EVSE with a 2013 car, are they likely to notice?)
I've got a 2012 EVSE (and Leaf), but if I could convince my wife to make the trade, and you don't think that the Nissan dealer is going to care which EVSE it has, I'd potentially be interested...

ishiyakazuo said:
Does anyone know if the dealer is going to check if it's actually the one that came with the car? (In other words, if you return a 2012 EVSE with a 2013 car, are they likely to notice?) ...
Probably not. Some people have even gotten away with returning nothing...but at least one guy on the forum had a snafu with a missing EVSE on a return. They are most likely just to note the presence of a kit there without caring much what exactly is inside it. Someone might open it up, but even then are not likely to raise a fuss. But it's up to freshleaf if he's comfortable with it.

Is 2012 EVSE looks different then 2013 EVSE ? Are specs different like charging time or Amps drawn.
I am pretty sure Dealers don't know the Difference if they both can charge the car Safely.
My LEAF will be going for an inspection in few weeks and not sure those Guys care either.

freshleaf said:
Is 2012 EVSE looks different then 2013 EVSE ? Are specs different like charging time or Amps drawn.
I am pretty sure Dealers don't know the Difference if they both can charge the car Safely.
My LEAF will be going for an inspection in few weeks and not sure those Guys care either.

The 2012 and 2013 EVSEs look different but perform the same and both have Nissan's name plastered on them so you could say with a straight face that the first failed and a dealer replaced it with the second or any number of other plausible scenarios.

If it were me and I was doing the check list I'd be looking at the cable and the connector at both ends and assuming no damage I wouldn't assign any difference in value between the versions for the purpose of a lease return.

As to how they vary it only matters after they are upgraded to work on 240v, so long as they are stock and unmodified they both charge at the same rate on 120v.

If you look at eBay listings the 2013 version is worth $25 to $50 more than the older version but compared to the total cost of the EVSE if you had to replace it the difference in value is minor. Worst case you could sell either version to someone else and get whatever version you want/need but I can't imagine you wanting to or needing to.

Well, bad news... since we just got a garage EVSE, my wife was not convinced that this was something we should pursue :( I was a little more hopeful, because one of my coworkers lives near the office and has a 240V outlet in his garage, but unfortunately, if I dropped it off at his place in the morning and charged off of 120V, it would still be fast enough to charge it to full (or close enough) during my work day.
So, I'm still interested, but I don't think I could offer anything near the $200 you're asking for it at this point. If you get really desperate, let me know and I'll see what I can offer, but I hope someone else comes through for you!

There is another difference of the 2011 / 2012 emergency / convenience use EVSE.
It will not charge RAV4EV or Tesla.
And as stated the upgraded 2013 forward is higher 240V rating.

I might be interested with swap of 2011 unit (brand new, only plugged in once for one hour), mainly because I need a backup when the Blink eventually dies.
If available advise here or via PM. Will need to confer with spouse.

Them spouses and their EVSE upgrading reluctance... ;)
Just to be clear, if it's available, I think I've gotten my official spouse approval on trading you for a 2012 EVSE at your asking price, freshleaf. I'm in the NW suburbs.

Back