Help with Texas inspection/registration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I know we are moving to a 1-sticker system. And I know you are supposed to get your car inspected 90 days prior to your registration. But I'm in a situation where my inspection expires in just a few days and my registration is not due for another 6 months. How is this handled?

Do a Google search on TX Two Steps One Sticker. It has a routine to tell you what to do. You put in the two dates and get an answer.

I already did that.. The answer was ambiguous. It doesn't tell me for sure that I can wait another 6 months to renew my inspection or if I have to do it now. The answer I got was:

Based on the information you supplied:

You must obtain a passing inspection prior to your vehicle registration. Once you receive your renewal notice, you’ll be able to renew online at www.TXDMV.gov.

Get your car inspected, you will not get a sticker, but the inspection will be in the system when you renew your registration.

It's only $7 (for the inspection) + $11 ~ (when you renew your registration), IIRC.

Note: inspection fees. Other additional registration fees is ~ $50.

It is telling you to renew registration at your normal month, but get an inspection at least a week or so before you renew. Regardless of when you do this inspection, you only have to do next inspection prior to your next (after the upcoming one) registration renewal.

Back