jwhitehouse

Dealer On Board

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm the Don Davis Nissan EV Sales Leader, located here in Arlington TX. I've seen a couple of comments about dealer attitudes encountered, and I wanted to put my two cents worth in. Nissan is being very focused on the end-user with the rollout of the LEAF, and most of their communications are direct to consumer through the official website. Everyone who reserves a LEAF has access to a dashboard to track their vehicle through production. Dealer involvement is fairly limited at this time. When you designate a dealer, your information pops up on that dealers dashboard, but it is information only available to the designated EV Sales personnel at that dealership (and they should contact you). For general infomation, there is much more available on Nissans microsite than currently at a Nissan dealership. If you want to talk to someone at a Nissan Dealership about LEAF, I recommend going through the sales director or general manager of the dealership to find the designated EV sales staff.

During the month of January 2011, there are a few LEAF events in DFW, including the DRIVE ELECTRIC TOUR. There will be LEAF's available for test drives in Irving on January 14, 15, and 16, and I'm guessing most people on this forum have been notified of the event.

Certified dealerships should be getting a demonstrator LEAF, available for test drives, soon. We (Don Davis Nissan) have completed installation of level two charging stations on at our facility, and are anxiously waiting for a vehicle. No specific word yet as to when it will arrive, but when it does I'll put a note up.

Gonewild
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 229

Re: Dealer On Board

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I do not think you will get a car to test drive from the tour event. In Arizona no dealership received a LEAF. I was that the drive event in Tempe AZ on two days.

I talked with Mark Perry 2 times over the weekend he was real nice and I got some good information from him. I also spoke to Kate one of the many tour guides.
Over 25,300 miles Plus - Now Sold/ Lease given back to Nissan 8-25-2012
Ordered Glacier Pearl Nissan Leaf SL eTech Edition on 8/31, Delivered March 1, 2011
POWERED By SunPower 5.16kw PV Solar home 3 Solar water panels.
Reserved 4/20

jwhitehouse

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Opps...I didn't mean to infer that there was any possibility of getting vehicles from the Drive Electric Tour. I should have more clearly separated the information. We are expecting a dealer demonstrator, but I have been unable to get specific status on its arrival. The Drive Electric Tour and any dealer activities are totally separate

AndyH

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:52 pm

jwhitehouse wrote:I'm the Don Davis Nissan EV Sales Leader, located here in Arlington TX. I've seen a couple of comments about dealer attitudes encountered, and I wanted to put my two cents worth in.

Welcome aboard!

How's your discount for early reservation holders? I'm looking for a reason to buy from Texas dealer - care to provide one?

Thanks!

jwhitehouse

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I hope we'll see the market for the vehicle expanding, rather than available discounts. The lease program appears the least expensive, least exposed, way to drive one though.

GroundLoop

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll play the cranky guy:

Everyone who reserves a LEAF has access to a dashboard to track their vehicle through production.

The entirety of the information presented to me is one word: "Pending" There is no other information available about the status of my order.
In fact, it directs me to the Dealership, who (presumably) will have more information:
"your dealer will be in touch with the exact date you may pick up your LEAF"

When you designate a dealer, your information pops up on that dealers dashboard, but it is information only available to the designated EV Sales personnel at that dealership (and they should contact you). For general infomation, there is much more available on Nissans microsite than currently at a Nissan dealership.

A few folks have posted "screen shots" from the Dealer Dashboard view, and there is indeed additional information over and above what is shared with the customer via Nissan's portal. Manufacturing date, for example.

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:46 pm

First off, a hearty welcome - seeing dealers participate in forums is nothing short of fantastic and we welcome your contributions.

jwhitehouse wrote:Nissan is being very focused on the end-user with the rollout of the LEAF, and most of their communications are direct to consumer through the official website.

Secondly, GroundLoop beat me to the cranky side.. but I'll add a few cents. My opinion is that Nissan is almost all market and media-focused. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated very much the test drive, the meet and greet for early reservers in each launch market , the corny t-shirt, and now two sets of 'I've wanted a leaf for 9 months but still don't have it' stickers... but nothing comes close to the simple act of delivering me a vehicle I am willing to pay them for or even just updating my dashboard to something other then 'PENDING'... a status now shown for a very, very long time.

So with all do respect, I have to disagree with Nissan's focus on the consumer...though it's very good to see some of the first vehicles off the Dec 20th boat finally hitting average consumers' hands today... so I have hope :)
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

jwhitehouse

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 pm

What you see on the dashboards is very typical of the way production information is distributed for any Nissan, it's just that most people won't see even that. In the United States, we purchase vehicles generally from dealer inventory, or available manufacturer ground stock. Basically, there are enough vehicles already built that will match any desired configuration. We'll try and keep about a 90-day supply of vehicles on hand for stock, and that's what most people purchase from. Nissan's Order Management System (OMS) covers about 4 months of time when production becomes available to dealers and when the specific vehicle is delivered to our facility. That timeline 'firms' up when a vehicle is serialized. Once a VIN, or serial number, is assigned to a production specification, you'll start to see dates pertaining to a specific vehicle. Even so, the process is driven by manufacturing or transport efficiencies, and it's hard to pin down exactly when anything will happen. I am figuring that the "pending" status is equivalent to a non-serialized 'clean' order. The orders are good and we are waiting for all parts and processes to allign for assembly. Currently, I'm seeing 'pending' as status on all LEAF orders I've processed, and I don't think that's out of sorts. I do understand, however, the annoyance of the wait

To my knowledge, a very small number of LEAF's have been delivered, and maybe one of the new owners could tell us what production status was communicated to them.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 pm

jwhitehouse wrote:To my knowledge, a very small number of LEAF's have been delivered, and maybe one of the new owners could tell us what production status was communicated to them.

My car was ONS for sure until December 1st and then had become SIT by December 9th. Just when it changed during those 8 days, I couldn't say.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.