Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
...or are there just three of us? :lol:

There are at least 4 of us here --

Adric22 (Fort Worth)
Bicster (Houston)
you (San Antone)
me (Arlington)

This spread might make our first get together tough! I guess we could all head for Austin? And every body will have to stop for a charge on the way....

jhm614 said:
Adric22 (Fort Worth)
Bicster (Houston)
you (San Antone)
me (Arlington)

This spread might make our first get together tough! I guess we could all head for Austin? And every body will have to stop for a charge on the way....

Umm.. I think I'll wait for more people in the DF/W area for a get-together. I'm technically not in Fort Worth. I actually live in Kennedale off of Sublett rd and Hwy287, about 0.5 miles from the Arlington border. So we're pretty close.

adric22 said:
Umm.. I think I'll wait for more people in the DF/W area for a get-together. I'm technically not in Fort Worth. I actually live in Kennedale off of Sublett rd and Hwy287, about 0.5 miles from the Arlington border. So we're pretty close.

Small world, I live just north of I-20 from you -- basically at Green Oaks and Arkansas.

jhm614 said:
Small world, I live just north of I-20 from you -- basically at Green Oaks and Arkansas.

Yep - I drive through there quite a lot. Well, assuming we're not fighting each other for the first Leaf in the Arlington area, we should get together sometime with our cars once we get them.

I haven't picked a dealer yet -- I didn't see that option when I reserved. Have the rest of the Texas Leafs dealered up?

You can log back into the website and change your dealer selection at any time. I've changed my selection three times. And honestly, I'm not sure that it really *does* anything.

I've emailed a few dealers and they don't seem to want to talk about the Leaf. Typical new car dealer attitude - if it's not on their lot then you're not worth their time.

jhm614 said:
I haven't picked a dealer yet -- I didn't see that option when I reserved. Have the rest of the Texas Leafs dealered up?
jhm614 login to your account and edit your account you will see your reservation number and the cancel and at the bottom of the list is select a dealer. You enter your zip and select a dealer. I then check BBB the one closest to me had B rating and 2 more miles away had a A.

jhm614 said:

Hey Jason,

Still open here - exploring the four local dealers. So far they're all enthusiastic but know less than we do.

Andy

I've operated an electric motorcycle here in Bexar county since about Feb 09. The bike is registered as a gasoline powered vehicle because the county does not have the ability to properly register EVs. According to Robert at the Bexar County Assessor-Collector's Office (via phone today), this system will likely remain as it is until there are many more EVs, the registration fee structure changes, or until Bexar county begins emissions testing.

I had to convert my electric motor power into equivalent horsepower in order to register the bike.

For any of you in emissions non-attainment areas - do you know if you can easily register an EV in your areas?

Andy

Bicster said:
Why does it make any difference if the tax office knows it's an EV or not?

One that comes to mind is that it's going to take quite a while to find the tail pipe when it comes to emissions testing. ;)

Folks in this county seem to be completely unaware that there are already EVs on the roads (or I haven't yet found the right folks). As long as they're some nebulous future thing, they don't need to push to get charging infrastructure or streamline permits for EVSE installs.

And it took WAY too much time getting my bike registered - it took three people with blank stares to figure out that my motorcycle could get a license plate even if it didn't have a gas engine.

Andy

AndyH said:
Bicster said:
Why does it make any difference if the tax office knows it's an EV or not?

One that comes to mind is that it's going to take quite a while to find the tail pipe when it comes to emissions testing. ;)

Folks in this county seem to be completely unaware that there are already EVs on the roads (or I haven't yet found the right folks). As long as they're some nebulous future thing, they don't need to push to get charging infrastructure or streamline permits for EVSE installs.

And it took WAY too much time getting my bike registered - it took three people with blank stares to figure out that my motorcycle could get a license plate even if it didn't have a gas engine.

Andy

Ha! But I'm assuming the Nissan dealer will handle the licensing and registration for new Nissans. Was your bike mail order or from a local dealer?

jhm614 said:
Ha! But I'm assuming the Nissan dealer will handle the licensing and registration for new Nissans. Was your bike mail order or from a local dealer?

The bike did arrive via freight, but I was the recipient and dealer. I had to register my bike by it's CC equivalent - so KW to horsepower, then research the world of motorcycles to see what size gas engine produces that power level. It took a few hours of research and prep before visiting the county office.

Nissan dealers in Bexar county will have the same 'challenge' (if it's really a challenge) because there is absolutely no way for the county to identify a vehicle as an EV in their current system.

There's a small Electric Auto Association chapter in town, and there are commercial EVs and conversions running around, but they're all registered as gas vehicles.

My concern at this point is that a politician is likely to scan the county vehicle registration records before deciding it would make sense to install a Level 2 charge point down town. And the search results will clearly show that there are zero EVs registered in the county. Garbage in, garbage out.

Andy

I believe all emission testing for cars, statewide, exclusively uses the OBD2 port test. I know that's the case for my area, at least. The tailpipe test is only needed for pre-1995 cars.

The OBD2 test just looks for all the relevant readiness bits (evap, catalyst, o2 sensor, etc.) to be clear. Not all cars support all bits; in that case they just lie and report all-ok for that subsystem.

Bicster said:
I believe all emission testing for cars, statewide, exclusively uses the OBD2 port test. I know that's the case for my area, at least. The tailpipe test is only needed for pre-1995 cars.

The OBD2 test just looks for all the relevant readiness bits (evap, catalyst, o2 sensor, etc.) to be clear. Not all cars support all bits; in that case they just lie and report all-ok for that subsystem.

Absolutely. We don't yet have emissions tests in Bexar county, and my bike isn't likely to be emissions tested even if the program starts (which is good - no OBD2 port).

Folks will be able to register their cars, though there may be some head-scratching early on.

What I want to examine is the state of 'EV friendliness' in the city and county today. Part of Nissan's partner cities agenda is to help streamline electrical permits and inspection for EVSE installation, and other factors that will help smooth the process of owning and operating EVs.

Andy

Back